Author Topic: leaking auger  (Read 753 times)

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!!!!!!!
leaking auger
« on: Jan 01, 2015, 08:57 PM »
Just got my STRIKEMASTER lazer mag express back after being serviced. Was bogging down at the end of last year so decided it was service time. Picked up and started it right at the shop. Ran fine so I hung it on its holder in the garage. Wake up the next morning to a strong gas smell and discover it is the auger leaking gas. Further inspection reveals that the fuel was leaking from the area of the carb but could not determine exactly where. I do know the service sheet says diaphragm replaced and carb cleaned. Thinking something was not put back together right but was hoping for some input here so I can have something to stand my ground on. Pretty po'd right now. Sent it in with one issue and comes back with another. My feeling is I should not have to pay more for anything. I should not send something in for repair then have more problems after they claim it is fixed. Hopefully they feel the same. Your input is appreciated on what may have caused this leak. In about 40 hours time I lost about 1/4 track of fuel. Thanks!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: leaking auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2015, 06:56 AM »
if it was me, i would call the last person to work on it.

if not, then i would guess the fuel cap or wrong sized gas lines in the tank grommets.
maybe expansion of the cold fuel pushing it out from going into a warm garage

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2015, 07:11 AM »
Take it back to the guy that worked on it and tell them something must not have been tightened and could they fix it. THey had it apart and didn't put it back together right. Simple as that. If there is any argument from them just tell them you'll see them in court. File a Small claims court and after you win and they still don't want to pay your money back go to the local Police department, file with them and they will go to the place of business and empty their register of what they owe you plus their fee for doing it. Simple and you get all your money back. I know I have done this for an ATV I bought from a business that had a bent frame. I recovered $1800.

It is called a til tap.
<===Lefty===

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:21 AM »
   My guess is that the guy that rebuilt the carb didn't get the spring for the metering jet in right or completely forgot it. The gas will siphon out of the tank. Also check the screws on the Diaphram for loose.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2015, 06:44 PM »
Don't screw around having everyone shoot guesses as to the cause, that won't fix it. Take it back, and after you let go of his ear, tell him to fix it RIGHT this time, while you wait.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2015, 08:24 PM »
Don't screw around having everyone shoot guesses as to the cause, that won't fix it. Take it back, and after you let go of his ear, tell him to fix it RIGHT this time, while you wait.
X2 If your neighbor breaks your window you make him fix it. If someone doesn't fix something they are paid for they need to make it right. Don't be shy with those guy's just say hey I brought it in for a carb fix and now I have a carb leak.
<===Lefty===

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2015, 08:43 PM »
Lefty,
That is exactly what I did today. I was not looking for solutions but more for information on what might be wrong so I had a few things to throw at the shop if he disputed it. When I dropped it off the conversation went like this......I walked in and the desk clerk recognized me from the other day. She said hi, I said I hung this up on the wall in my garage and the next morning all the gas leaked out of it. She said sorry, let me get the tech. He comes out, I explain it exactly the same. He says let me take a look. Alot of times these will build up pressure (and turns the gas cap valve) from the cool and heat and the fuel will drain out of the carb from the built up pressure. I said, it has never done this before you worked on it and there is no way that is the issue. I brought it in here and it did not do it, I took it home and now it is leaking fuel. He then says, I will go over it again and see what happened, maybe a piece of dirt or something lodged loose and caused it to leak. Then takes the auger in back and tells the clerk to re-write it up and give me a receipt. Does not say another word and carries the auger in back. F him....like you said, I brought it in with no leak and now it is leaking. Fix the thing and apologize for the issue. That's all I am asking.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Hope it works out for you. He and I would not have gotten along too well..... :whistle:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:04 PM »
Most shops will not dispute a problem when they know they are the ones that had it last. If they do they shouldn't have a shop. Sounds like the guy lacks people skills, but I think he will get it fixed. Good luck to you.
<===Lefty===

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:22 PM »
Not the best bed side manners by the shop. But things do happen and if it is a reputable establishment they will make it right for you. Come backs occur from time to time at any shop, the difference between a good shop and a slip shot operation is how they handle it. Hope the best for you.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:10 PM »
I actually just bought a laser pro two weeks ago. Yesterday when making some modifications to my topper to hold the auger I noticed that it would leak gas. It's brand new. It almost seems like there is an o-ring missing in the cap or something
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.