Author Topic: Dedicated GPS mounted on snowmobile/ATV  (Read 6256 times)

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Dedicated GPS mounted on snowmobile/ATV
« on: Jul 13, 2022, 07:46 PM »
Hey guys,

Been looking into upgrading from my current handheld GPS.  I see a lot of guys I watch on YouTube use something like a Humminbird Helix 7, for example, mounted on their sleds/ATVs for the GPS, and only use it for the GPS.  I was wondering, do any of you use a unit like the Helix 7 JUST for the GPS?  Debating if this is overkill considering the price of one of these.  But at the same time, a good GPS is critical in some bodies of water.

Thanks guys

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Dedicated GPS mounted on snowmobile/ATV
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2022, 08:21 PM »
I use a Lowrance Mark 4 with Navionics chip. I hooked it up with a single cable for GPS only, works great!

Open water season I use it on the kayak and boat, mainly as a fish finder...

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2022, 12:28 AM »
That looks great, Bart.  Thanks!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2022, 09:35 AM »
I mounted my Garmin on my windshield support bar and I left the transducer hooked up so I could sound through the ice.  I keep the ducer in my handlebar bag so it’s protected and out of the way.  When I’m transferring from summer to winter I just pull the sd card and I have all of my maps I made from the summer on my unit so I can easily navigate to prescouted spots. 

I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2022, 10:23 AM »
Per the advice of past IS posts on the subject, I mounted my Garmin EchoMap unit to the handlebar of the sled to help reduce vibration issues - works well.  The sled's battery is the power source that is run through a relay and toggle switch I added to enable running the device with sled turned off.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2022, 07:53 AM »
AkHardwater and BucketRump - Your setups look great!  Thanks for sharing.

I originally was looking at a Helix 7, but because I'd probably just use the GPS, and for price difference, I may opt for the Helix 5 instead.  The screen is smaller, yes, but I'm used to staring at a small handheld, so the 5 is a huge upgrade.

How hard is it to hook these units up to the sled battery?  And is there anything specific I need to do to do this?

Also, really like how you guys mount these.  My sled is new so I REALLY want to avoid drilling holes, so a handlebar mount is probably what I'd opt for.  Just trying to figure out the right setup.  Theres a guy on YouTube who mounted his Helix 7 (or 5, cant remember) to his kayak using a combination of RAM  mounting accessories and that seemed to work pretty good for him.  Id imagine that same setup would work for handlebars.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2022, 08:45 AM »
Hope its ok if I jump into the thread.  I mounted a 5 on my tundra before last season.  Worked well.  I didn't want to drill holes either so I went with the Ram Ball Mount.  Not inexpensive but works slick.  Ordered mine from OC Mounts and the pn's are below.  I used a home made ammo can powerbox that I already have for lights and usb charging in the flip over to power the Helix.  Happy with the setup but I don't run a ducer.  I only use the GPS and LM Chip.

RAM® Torque™ 3/4" - 1" Diameter Handlebar/Rail Base
with 1" Ball - RAM-B-408-75-1U

RAM 1" Ball Mount with Track Ball™ Base & 1.5" x 3" Plate
for the Humminbird Helix 5 ONLY - RAP-B-202-153-354-
TRA1U

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2022, 09:42 AM »
Hope its ok if I jump into the thread.  I mounted a 5 on my tundra before last season.  Worked well.  I didn't want to drill holes either so I went with the Ram Ball Mount.  Not inexpensive but works slick.  Ordered mine from OC Mounts and the pn's are below.  I used a home made ammo can powerbox that I already have for lights and usb charging in the flip over to power the Helix.  Happy with the setup but I don't run a ducer.  I only use the GPS and LM Chip.

RAM® Torque™ 3/4" - 1" Diameter Handlebar/Rail Base
with 1" Ball - RAM-B-408-75-1U

RAM 1" Ball Mount with Track Ball™ Base & 1.5" x 3" Plate
for the Humminbird Helix 5 ONLY - RAP-B-202-153-354-
TRA1U

REALLY appreciate the post.  Would you happen to have a pic of your setup?  No worries if not, just curious.  Thanks!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2022, 02:13 PM »
I highly recommend going with a unit that allows you to sound through the ice.  I don’t know how thick your ice gets where your from but not having to drill through 4 feet of ice just to figure out how deep you are is huge.  I also don’t drill into the bottom any more.  I’ve been running the same blades on my auger since 2015 and it still cuts like a hot knife through butter.  I can find the exact spot I want to fish without ever drilling a hole. I thought about mounting to the handle bars but the unit would get in the way when I have to do any kind of technical riding we’re I have to grab the handle bars in odd positions.  The garmin echo maps come with an in line fuse so I just direct wire it to my snow machine battery and it works wether the sled is running or not.  This makes it really nice if I’m being lazy and just want to drop the transducer down the hole and use this unit instead of my livescope.  At the end of the day it all comes down to what your needs are and what you need to do to achieve them.  I built a setup that works perfectly for how I operate but it might not work for other people.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2022, 06:36 AM »
I highly recommend going with a unit that allows you to sound through the ice.  I don’t know how thick your ice gets where your from but not having to drill through 4 feet of ice just to figure out how deep you are is huge.  I also don’t drill into the bottom any more.  I’ve been running the same blades on my auger since 2015 and it still cuts like a hot knife through butter.  I can find the exact spot I want to fish without ever drilling a hole. I thought about mounting to the handle bars but the unit would get in the way when I have to do any kind of technical riding we’re I have to grab the handle bars in odd positions.  The garmin echo maps come with an in line fuse so I just direct wire it to my snow machine battery and it works wether the sled is running or not.  This makes it really nice if I’m being lazy and just want to drop the transducer down the hole and use this unit instead of my livescope.  At the end of the day it all comes down to what your needs are and what you need to do to achieve them.  I built a setup that works perfectly for how I operate but it might not work for other people.

The ice in Michigan, which is where I do all my fishing, doesnt get REALLY thick like in some states.  I'd say where I go, probably a foot?  I've never sounded through the ice before.  Will a Helix 5 do this?  And how exactly do you check depth without drilling a hole?

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2022, 10:51 AM »
Im not sure what specs are needed...but my regular old humminbird 688 sounds through the ice.  I suspect most units do.  It just needs to be bare ice...and usually a little water helps, but be careful you dont freeze your ducer to the ice.  It will work at any ice depths...2" to 2', doesnt matter.  Just put your ducer on the clear ice and itll show you whats going on down there.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2022, 12:02 PM »
Im not sure what specs are needed...but my regular old humminbird 688 sounds through the ice.  I suspect most units do.  It just needs to be bare ice...and usually a little water helps, but be careful you dont freeze your ducer to the ice.  It will work at any ice depths...2" to 2', doesnt matter.  Just put your ducer on the clear ice and itll show you whats going on down there.

That is great to know, thank u!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2022, 12:22 PM »

I have an older helix 5 and it shoots through the ice

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2022, 12:35 PM »

I have an older helix 5 and it shoots through the ice

Great to know.  Increases my likelihood of getting the Helix 5 even further. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2022, 01:59 PM »
Couple ways to shoot through the ice ...some folks squirt a mixture of salt water onto the ice or you can place the transducer in a plastic bag with a salt water soulution

https://vexilar.com/blog/2018/10/16/shooting-through-ice

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jul 17, 2022, 08:28 PM »
Couple of pics of my setup...

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jul 18, 2022, 06:02 AM »
That looks great, Baetis.  Definitely think that's how I am going to set mine up when I get one.

Appreciate all the advice fellas.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jul 31, 2022, 12:41 PM »
Been researching ever since the last discussion on here....almost kind of leaning towards the Garmin EchoMap Plus 43CV.  Its a huge upgrade from my  handheld but isnt too big of a unit.   Seems like it would be easier to mount on my sled versus the Helix 5.  Theyre within about $50 of each other.  Great reviews everywhere I look and comes preloaded with all the maps of the bodies of water I'd be fishing with all the depths.  Anyone have an opinion on whether I should go with the Garmin or the Helix 5?

Thanks again guys.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Aug 01, 2022, 07:24 AM »
I use the Garmin EchoMap.  It's my backup fishfinding unit, so I purchased a second mounting cradle for it - use one on the sled and the other is mounted in the Garmin ice fishing carrier.  Very simple to move the head unit from one to the other.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Aug 01, 2022, 09:02 AM »
I use the Garmin EchoMap.  It's my backup fishfinding unit, so I purchased a second mounting cradle for it - use one on the sled and the other is mounted in the Garmin ice fishing carrier.  Very simple to move the head unit from one to the other.

Great to hear.  Thank u!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Aug 01, 2022, 01:08 PM »
Been researching ever since the last discussion on here....almost kind of leaning towards the Garmin EchoMap Plus 43CV.  Its a huge upgrade from my  handheld but isnt too big of a unit.   Seems like it would be easier to mount on my sled versus the Helix 5.  Theyre within about $50 of each other.  Great reviews everywhere I look and comes preloaded with all the maps of the bodies of water I'd be fishing with all the depths.  Anyone have an opinion on whether I should go with the Garmin or the Helix 5?

Thanks again guys.

I have one ..it will do what you want and more ...you can map your lake using Garmin Quickdraw ...then uploaded it to the Active Captain app to have/use on your phone via Garmin connect ... its a little complecated as you have to use the SD card into your computer ...unlike the other units (believe the 7 series) do it via  WiFi...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Aug 01, 2022, 01:22 PM »
I have one ..it will do what you want and more ...you can map your lake using Garmin Quickdraw ...then uploaded it to the Active Captain app to have/use on your phone via Garmin connect ... its a little complecated as you have to use the SD card into your computer ...unlike the other units (believe the 7 series) do it via  WiFi...

Thats some good info, thank you! 

Depressing to talk ice fishing then wake up and realize its only August...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Aug 01, 2022, 02:16 PM »
Thats some good info, thank you! 

Depressing to talk ice fishing then wake up and realize its only August...

Well you could purchase the unit and float/boat around your usual fishing spots and build your maps ...then pull the card right before hardwater season and upload ...you will be passing the time but building intellegence . Mark the weed edges close to shore as these will be prime spots early ice . May be easy for some folks as most waters are a little lower then normal ...easier to spot them edges and/or weed transistions .

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Aug 01, 2022, 02:37 PM »
Well you could purchase the unit and float/boat around your usual fishing spots and build your maps ...then pull the card right before hardwater season and upload ...you will be passing the time but building intellegence . Mark the weed edges close to shore as these will be prime spots early ice . May be easy for some folks as most waters are a little lower then normal ...easier to spot them edges and/or weed transistions .

Unfortunately for me, 95% of my fishing is on the ice.   I rarely fish in the spring/summer/fall, unless im camping.  But that is a great idea.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #24 on: Aug 01, 2022, 04:52 PM »
I'd go opt for "locator" with GPS and loaded maps for your area. The included maps can help you navigate very closely to new areas.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Aug 03, 2022, 09:34 PM »
I'd go opt for "locator" with GPS and loaded maps for your area. The included maps can help you navigate very closely to new areas.

Sorry, dumb question, but what is the locator you’re referring to?

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Aug 23, 2022, 08:41 AM »
I keep changing my mind back and forth and what I’m going to buy, but now I’m really looking into the Garmin Echomap 73SV.   It’s 100% overkill for what I need, but the big screen is super nice, has all the other features in case I want to also mount to my boat at some point.  I played around with it at Cabelas and really liked it. Plus, it’s on sale at Cabelas for $499 right now, which appears to be a steal.  I just so happen to have a $500 gift card to Cabelas, so even if it’s overkill, it won’t cost me anything for it.

I messed around with both the Garmin echomap units and the helix’s. Liked both a lot, but the Garmin seemed easier to use “for me”.  And I liked how it’s pre-programmed with LakeVu inland lakes.

And from what I understand, this unit is compatible with Panoptix if I want to buy the transducer later.   

Not sure if I’m going the right direction or not, but this is what I think i might pull the trigger on soon.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Aug 24, 2022, 05:42 AM »
And from what I understand, this unit is compatible with Panoptix if I want to buy the transducer later. 
Not sure if I’m going the right direction or not, but this is what I think i might pull the trigger on soon.

You might be disappointed with the small size screen if you go with Panoptix, bigger is better for that.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Aug 24, 2022, 06:57 AM »
You might be disappointed with the small size screen if you go with Panoptix, bigger is better for that.

That’s good to know.  Maybe I’ll save my money then and not worry about that transducer. 

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Sep 07, 2022, 07:44 PM »
Ok so I ended up buying the ECHOMAP 73sv.  Only reason - on sale at Cabelas for $500 (originally like $800).  Guaranteed overkill for what I need, but I figure I could also install a mount and transducer on my boat at some point as well. 

Question though.  For wiring this on the sled, is going straight to the main battery good enough or is there anything I need to do that I'm not thinking of?  I've never installed a fish finder on anything, so this will be my first.  I only plan on running the unit when the sled is running, so draining the battery "shouldnt" be an issue.

Thanks guys

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.