Author Topic: opinions wanted  (Read 1679 times)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
opinions wanted
« on: Dec 23, 2021, 09:13 AM »
what are the advantages of tip up types?  mainly the three stick wood types of yesteryear vs the polar types.  i have limited time running the older style ones.  so i ask those that have used them for decades.thx
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2021, 01:58 PM »
My take is the cross sticks take up alot less room for storage and transport. Unless you make, buy or steal a hole cover they will fill with snow and freeze over. The round disk type cover the hole keeping snow out and insulate to slow freeze over. However, they are bulky and take up valuable real estate to store and transport.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2021, 02:30 PM »
Shallow water; Cover type with a horizontal spool, deeper water; "traditional" with a vertical spool. If I liked to fish shallow beaches for rainbows, I would own the cover type, I don't, so I don't.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2021, 02:32 PM »
I thing heritage lakers would be good in deep snow on the ice and deep water.everything else beaver dams.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2021, 11:09 AM »
ok so flag stands higher and they take up a bit less room. both good points.

what i like about the polars(not the round type) is the T on top.  i can see if the fish is taking line while walking to it.  i can take my time when its not spinning. i also grab the T to pickup and set the hook.  they dont take up much more room than the 3stick type in my bucket/bag.  we usually dont get the snow we used to either, so flag is plenty high to see.

thanks for the opinions guys.  i think ill stay with the polars.  they have served me well since the 80s and are still going strong.

OANN the real story

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2021, 05:38 AM »
I like the polars but I switched to heritage several years ago for a couple reasons. When there is a good amount of snow on the ice, you can’t see where your trap is, neither can snowmobile riders. Snow + wind and the polars are hard to find after couple hours. When I would reel the line on polars, I would put the trap between my knees and bend over to reel it up, this was killing my back, heritage I can fold them and stand up straight, see them for couple hundred yards when not tripped, reels hold more line. I like the tripping mechanism on the polars and how you can deep set it to avoid wind flags. Either are a great upgrade to the jack traps I used in the last century.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Marauder2008

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2021, 06:53 AM »
I've used several different types of tip ups and found that there are factors that I like from each of them.  The T-type tip ups stand up taller hence the flags are easier to see, especially when getting some precipitation.  However, I've also found that I tend to get more hookups, without tripping the flags on these.  It's just a matter of how the flag "hooks" onto the mechanism.

I more regularly use Polar's (the rail type, not the round ones).  I like these because there are several different sensitivity "settings" so you can fine tune just how easily the flag is tripped.  They take up less space than the round ones, but a little more space than the T-type.  The rail type Polar's fold up quickly and easily, whereas the T-type, sometimes you gotta fenagle them a little to get them to fold up the right way. I also like how the Polar's have the "T" on the top so you can watch to see of line is being taken out as you walk up to them. 

The only downfall with the rail-type Polar's that I have found is, with wind+cold weather or precipitation, they can get covered easily of freeze to the ice easier than some of the others.  Which often makes them less visible from a distance than the T-type. 

Overall, I think it's a matter of personal preference, and I like the tuning ability and simplicity of the Polar's.
"When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too."

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2021, 08:43 AM »
thanks for the input

OANN the real story

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor