Author Topic: Garmin Striker Plus 4  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Hunt n Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Garmin Striker Plus 4
« on: Dec 04, 2021, 10:36 AM »
Been thinking of upgrading my Sonar to a Striker Plus 4. I’m currently running a Lowrance Elite 4x (non CHIRP) and it does ok but I’d like better target separation and I get quite a bit of interference from other units. I’ve heard CHIRP units are supposed to do much better with this.

First question would be, am I going to see much improvement in this area with the striker over my Lowrance?

Second question is transducer related. It appears they have a new dual beam ducer that comes with the striker 4 ice kit that is non CHIRP. Am I correct in thinking I would need either the Gt8 or Gt 10 ducer to get the best performance from the striker?  I have no problem buying an additional ducer if I can get better performance.

I’ve already ruled out the larger units since the screens are wider as opposed to taller. I prefer running in graph mode where you need height not width.  I also want to stick with a graph and not a flasher.

Thanks for any input. 

Offline MTJ

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Garmin Striker Plus 4
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2021, 11:43 AM »
The striker is the only sonar I've had so I can't compare it to the lowerance but I don't have the ice specific transducer and it works fine. You just have to make sure the bottom the the transducer hangs horizontally.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Re: Garmin Striker Plus 4
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2021, 12:28 PM »
Been thinking of upgrading my Sonar to a Striker Plus 4. I’m currently running a Lowrance Elite 4x (non CHIRP) and it does ok but I’d like better target separation and I get quite a bit of interference from other units. I’ve heard CHIRP units are supposed to do much better with this.

First question would be, am I going to see much improvement in this area with the striker over my Lowrance?

Second question is transducer related. It appears they have a new dual beam ducer that comes with the striker 4 ice kit that is non CHIRP. Am I correct in thinking I would need either the Gt8 or Gt 10 ducer to get the best performance from the striker?  I have no problem buying an additional ducer if I can get better performance.

I’ve already ruled out the larger units since the screens are wider as opposed to taller. I prefer running in graph mode where you need height not width.  I also want to stick with a graph and not a flasher.

Thanks for any input.

Maybe keep the one you have and save up for a larger model, maybe a 7inch Garmin?? you may find a ice bundle with the GT10 which is better for deeper water, the GT8 would be ideal for shallower water. I run a GT10 on my 73sv and am going to be using the same ducer on my 93sv I just picked up. the GT10 has very good target separation even at close to 100 fow. It also allows you to run multiple screens on the 7inch screen through the combo function.

The larger screen will also allow you to enjoy the graph mode better if you are running split zoom as a feature, I run this 98% of the time on the ice in deep. I set my zoom to the bottom 15 feet or so, then the other half of my screen is the entire water column. Getting a larger screen gives you more real estate to run the sonar you want, both in height and width.

When I am shallow I may use traditional sonar on one screen and the flasher on the other, kind of best of both worlds.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.