New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 131512 times)

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #660 on: Mar 13, 2022, 04:47 PM »
I hope it didn’t sound like I was disagreeing with the decision because it went in that direction I was merely trying to let everyone know
All good. We knew what you meant. 😎
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline raudlin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #661 on: Mar 14, 2022, 01:03 AM »
Where has Jim been ? Probably cleaning his catch. Just want an opinion on taking a sled out of the Elms tomorrow. Concerned about open holes or gas pockets. Think maybe it is time to wait and put the boat in the water. Thank you to all the guys and gals who have shared posts about the conditions all season.  ;) ;) ;)

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #662 on: Mar 14, 2022, 06:05 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Yup, it’s time for Old Boggey to join the chorus. Far be-it from me to disagree with the ladies at Green Point Marina. Collectively, Linda and her daughters have witnessed and experienced over 130 years of ice fishing on the Pond. I won’t revisit the death and near death experiences, but suffice to say, the memory’s of those events weigh heavy on their decision making as it should for all of us wanting to get “just one more day in” before our fantastic ice fishing season is done.

Not that they need my concurrence, but a trip over to Green Point yesterday, I witnessed their concern of the toll last weeks warming and rain had impacted the ramp and various open water spots adjacent to the shore. With the predicted warming spells and no overnight freezing to heal the ramps and accesses, the predictable becomes self evident.

This brings about the closing of  “Boggey’s Sandy Pond” thread for the 2021-22 ice fishing season. In closing , I would like to reiterate my original goal or mission statement for the thread. It was to edify everyone to the ice conditions on the Pond  on a nearly daily basis, particularly those of you considering a long trek from afar.

I hope the efforts of not only me but other Sandy Pond regulars have been helpful to those of you considering The Pond as your weekend destination for ice fishing this year. Additionally, as I stated in my opening post to this thread, I promised or warned you, you would be subjected to many many fish stories, most of which did happen during the course of the season albeit with slight embellishments. As stated, good bad or indifferent, should the good Lord grant me another year on this earth , I plan to do the same next year, right here on this very venue. Thank you to Scott, the Mods and you for putting up with the ramblings of an old grizzled codger.

Boggey

Post Script; See you all over on MFF where we can continue our fishing stories, except from a boat.

Poppy w/ Grandson, Vaughn
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline raudlin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #663 on: Mar 14, 2022, 06:26 AM »
Once again I would like to thank one and all for the wealth of information on conditions and technique this season. I have never had the pleasure of meeting you Mr. Boggey , but always look for you on the ice. Not to fish your 'honey hole" but to personally shake your hand. Have a wonderful and healthy soft water season.May we meet on the next sheet of safe ice.      
                                                          Rick                                                                                                                                                                     

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #664 on: Mar 14, 2022, 06:55 AM »
as usual bog.......you da man :bow:......enjoyed all your tales .........not much fishable ice down here this year in Murrells Inlet, SC

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #665 on: Mar 14, 2022, 08:26 AM »
boggey  great thread   great info  and   i most  say  great  closing  picture  of you and  your  grandson! 

i do hope  that  you  have  a  sandy pond thread   on mff :) that way we  can  keep a  eye on you  ;D 

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #666 on: Mar 14, 2022, 10:19 AM »
Jim...

No surprise on the ice conditions - I have been hearing the fat lady clearing her throats now for the last few days... ;D ;D ;D

It was indeed a pleasure to meet you and fish with you albeit only once this year - but that afternoon remains locked in my memory not so much for the fishing as the acquaintance made and a spectacular sunset.

Once I get the camp open in April - I'll invite you over to a quiet campfire at dusk.

Fare thee well and following seas to you, Skipper!

~ArkAngel
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #667 on: Mar 14, 2022, 06:26 PM »
Rumor has it that Boggey caught himself a dandy of a walleye today!!! Can’t wait for the pic!!!!!😎

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #668 on: Mar 14, 2022, 06:33 PM »

I like pics , and that’s a good eye at 30” should be right around 10#s or a bit more 👍

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #669 on: Mar 14, 2022, 06:36 PM »
I like pics , and that’s a good eye at 30” should be right around 10#s or a bit more 👍
👍

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #670 on: Mar 15, 2022, 05:17 AM »
Ok ok, I will add the pictures. 30” Walleye caught 5:45 last evening on the Pond. Guess that puts an end to the conversation “There ain’t know walleys on the Pond”. Although that is only the second I have caught this year. BTW returned to the hole from whence it came . Caught On 4# test.

Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #671 on: Mar 15, 2022, 05:40 AM »
Nice fish, Boggey! Hopefully, one day, one of your grandkids will catch that fish again!!🎣 congrats bud!!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #672 on: Mar 15, 2022, 06:10 AM »
nice  boggey!   now maybe  ice  posting is done but theres no reason we can't hear of your other adventures!  i hope to see you down on the wall too......

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #673 on: Mar 15, 2022, 06:50 AM »
J-Bogg...

What a specimen!!!  That's one of - if not the largest Walleye I've seen taken on the Pond.  Congrats Bud!  And on 4# test too.

Any theories on why the perch bite (and walleye too?) has improved so dramatically virtually overnight?  Dredging...?

~ArkAngel
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #674 on: Mar 15, 2022, 06:54 AM »
Great fish jbog!!!

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #675 on: Mar 15, 2022, 07:20 AM »
A very nice walleye! Congrats! The picture with your Grandson is GREAT....Have a good Spring and see you on MFF....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #676 on: Mar 15, 2022, 04:16 PM »
Yo Jim that’s awesome….👍👍
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #677 on: Mar 15, 2022, 04:16 PM »
Yo Jim that’s awesome….👍👍

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #678 on: Mar 15, 2022, 05:56 PM »
Yo Guys

Thanks a lot. Goes to show, even a blind dog can find a bone once in awhile.😁

Going up north to fish with my bud John on Goose tomorrow.
Boggey

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #679 on: Mar 15, 2022, 07:59 PM »

Hellva fish Jim congrats

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #680 on: Mar 15, 2022, 09:42 PM »
what a way to end the season ! congrats Boggie

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #681 on: Mar 23, 2022, 08:51 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Not much to say, except we got a big block of ice sitting out there in the Pond about 10 feet from shore keeping me from launching my boat. Really ready for some long pole fishing. Checking out Phoenix, off the wall today. Did make my absolute last ice venture out on the ice yesterday at Eel Bay to fish with my friend John. Ice there is shrinking away from the shore as well. Really! Yesterday was my last day on the ice at Eel Bay.
Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #682 on: Mar 25, 2022, 03:27 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals
Wednesday’s high winds rang the death knell to the remaining ice on the Pond.  That being said I wanted to forward to you the conversation I had with Cathy Goodnough at Green Point Marina. The present situation regarding the dredging at the cut, is ongoing . Cathy is the president of the Sandy Pond Channel Maintenance Association, heretofore known by its acronym SPCMA. Cathy has in her capacity as President of the Association been most active and vocal in our communities efforts to keep open access for the Ponds recreational boaters and the businesses situated on the Pond.

In short , Cathy wants the general public to know the dredging is ongoing and will continue until the arrival of the Sand Plover to occupy its annual nesting habitat in near proximity to the cut, at which time all dredging activity will be terminated till the Sand Plover vacates the premises.

A much more In depth report and information of the dredging status can be obtained by accessing the SPCMA website .

If you want to help , the SPCMA welcomes contributions by those of us who benefit by the channel access and general friends of the Pond. A mailing address is listed on the website with welcomed levels of monetary contributions. All for now, see you over on MFF
Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #683 on: Dec 13, 2022, 06:29 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

It hasn’t looked too good temperature wise so far this fall, but things maybe turning around on the Pond. Now we are a long way from walking on water but at least Monday nights temps of 15 degrees, this morning’s temps of single digit 8 degrees and forecast this evening of low teens are giving this septuagenarian visions of sugar plums dancing in my head with the possibility we may see some ice before years end.

Better news was up north they registered sub zero temps along the St. Lawrence River. Yup, you can tell “Old Boggey” is gettin the itch to get on some “safe” ice.
Boggey

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #684 on: Dec 13, 2022, 06:42 AM »
Looks like we're headed in the right direction Jim.  :thumbsup:

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #685 on: Dec 13, 2022, 06:56 AM »
Woohoo.  Jim’s got ice on the brain.  😁
It’s heading in the right direction now pal.👍👍

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #686 on: Dec 13, 2022, 10:23 AM »
Welllll.... THERE you are...haven't heard from you in forever..!

Septua - whaaaaaa...?  I think I need to go back to school to keep up with your advanced dialogue, Jim.

And today's word for the day is "Septuagenarian" - a person who is 70 - 79 years old.

Got the Snowdog ready for action Jim.  Let's go fishin' once it's safe.

~Arkangel

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #687 on: Dec 13, 2022, 12:53 PM »
Yo Chris,
Nice to hear from you my friend.
You are on my list to call for good ice conditions. Our friend, BigBuck is also chomping at the bit waiting for good ice. Def going to call him. He just shot his first Elk In Wyoming this weekend and promised me a couple steaks.
I just sent my Nils cutting head to Frank Deluca for sharpening. Got to get the Polaris over to my mechanic for service . I should be ready for the call to arms. 😁
Might even get a new pole and reel, who knows what Santa has in store for me eh?
Boggey

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #688 on: Dec 13, 2022, 06:36 PM »
Santa will be good to you buddy,can’t wait for the season to start so we can compare our hot spots

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #689 on: Dec 13, 2022, 06:38 PM »
Good to hear from you Jimmy!! Hope all is well my friend!!😎

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.