Author Topic: Fly reel for ice fishing?  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Fly reel for ice fishing?
« on: Dec 12, 2013, 10:31 AM »
I've seen the inline reels for ice fishing and was thinking about trying a fly reel and see how that works since it's pretty much the same thing.  Does anyone do this?  Saying you do, besides using low temperature grease what else do you do to set it up?

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fly reel for ice fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2013, 01:38 PM »
Been using Cabelas Three River fly reels for yrs. I picked them up when they're on sale for much less than list. All i did was put tip up line on for a backer & spooled up with 50 yards of flourocarbon. Slick as snot, but a bit of a pain in deep water. It sure makes reeling in the occasional wally or nordski fun though.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2013, 01:43 PM »
Did it a long time ago and it wasn't bad if you didn't have to go very deep, as stated. One true advantage is putting line on it as compared to a spinning rig. You'd really have to screw up to put it on anyway but dead straight

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2013, 01:47 PM »
Did it a long time ago and it wasn't bad if you didn't have to go very deep, as stated. One true advantage is putting line on it as compared to a spinning rig. You'd really have to screw up to put it on anyway but dead straight
x2 love it for less then 15 not good for 20+ imo.
Keep your stick on the ice we are all in this together.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2013, 10:02 PM »
The reel I have a Pfluger Purist reel that has never been used before and came with a dacron backer and fly line on it (below is a link to the reel I have so you can see exactly what one I have).  Should I strip off all the fly line and add more dacron to the existing dacron then put on the floro or should I just tie the floro to the fly line?  It looks like it would take a lot of dacron to fill the spool half or three quarters up.  I never did this before and am curious as to what you mean by putting it on straight?  Do you mean level across? 

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/Pflueger-Purist-Complete-Fly-Reel/0000000082780?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct%20search&gslfah&gclid=CK_anpunrLsCFbB9OgodoC4APg

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM »
Shallow water 12' or less I run a Okuma SLV 2/3, deeper than 12' I run 13 Fishing Black Betty 6061's and a Teardrop...

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2013, 11:06 PM »
I'd get rid of the flyline, maybe even the backing, and put whatever you have laying around on to reasonably fill the spool up. Then I'd add whatever you plan to use as the actual fishing line on, just need 2 or 3 times your normal fishing depth of the good stuff.

Offline Gnatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2013, 11:25 PM »
I use a fly reel for under 12 feet or so. in fact, I just add 20 feet or so to the fly line and I am good to go. When spring comes I remove the mono and add a leader and I am set for trout!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2013, 12:15 AM »
Ok let me add that the deepest I fish is 30 feet and my average depth is around 20 feet.  Also I don't fly fish so this reel will be used exclusively for ice fishing.

Offline frostbittin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2013, 01:06 PM »
I have two okuma slv 2/3's that i love for shallow water, i also added a black betty 6061 this winter for deeper water. With the slv's i put fly reel backing on to fill the spool up with 75yds of 2lb mono as the actual fishing line, by doing so i reel more line up every revolution because the backing make the spool a larger diameter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.