Author Topic: Lure Improvement Thread  (Read 884 times)

Offline trouts

• IceShanty Rookie
  • crappibass crappibass where are you?
Lure Improvement Thread
« on: Dec 27, 2012, 03:09 PM »
Seasons Greetings,

In an effort to improve catch rates, has anyone ever "modified" their lures with great success? I think I am going to put some bigger hooks on my jigging rapalas and possibly clip the front and back hooks. I also have a few hali spoons with the tiny hooks broken off of them. Think O rings are a good idea or should the larger trebs just go onto the jigs by bending the existing hook clamps? Catch plenty of fish but last few years been getting what seems to be good hooksets only to loose fish 5-10 cranks off bottom. Talkin about walleyes. Always willing to try new tactics. Also my #1 blade bait busted a treble last year. O ring on that or just a split treb that will go onto that as well? Any suggestions welcome

Offline tundra1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lure Improvement Thread
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2012, 03:16 PM »
I have modified some of my jiggin raps. like you said larger "sharp" treble and cut back the other hooks. They dont catch on the side of the hole now. Frustrating loosing fish that way. I also put free hanging stingers on some spoons. also glow eyes flash tape etc. :icefish: try anything you think of; might find that secret trick!!!!
just not enough time    <*)((><     >*)(((((((((>< 

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:57 PM »
Several years ago I  started making all most all my stock spoons into single hook, dropper chain rigs. I then improved on that by buying small chains with clips at each end giving me a lot more versatility in hook size and strength.

Offline crankshaft013

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2012, 12:10 PM »
I also remove the end hooks on all my jigging raps.  Swapped out all hooks to red, on all jigs and spoons that I could.

As Tundra Said, glow eyes, flash tape, etc..  Any of my Kenz Hooks (of similar jigs) I take the bead off.

Also whenever I find clearance bin spoons, I'll buy a handful of them and modify them in different ways.. Reshape them, increase/decrease bends, anything to modify the action.. I haven't created any miracle jigs yet, but hopefully one day come across an irresistible action of my own creation!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.