Author Topic: Southeast  (Read 6237 times)

Offline Yote

• Team IceShanty Regular
Southeast
« on: Dec 25, 2011, 08:58 PM »
Has anyone found good ice in the southeast region? I'd like to get out on Marindahl preferably. Maybe Lake Yankton? Swan pond?
keep yer stick on the ice.

Offline Flyfishin Dano

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Southeast
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2011, 12:36 PM »
Do ya ever do any good on Lake Yankton?  Would like to ice a few crappie this year.
Spilled spot remover on my dog.  Now I can't find him

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2011, 04:52 PM »
with all the warm weather we have had I have not been out

Offline Flyfishin Dano

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2011, 05:26 AM »
Thanks rags!  I only live 40 min from Lake Yankton and fished it for the first time this fall.  Caught some bluegill, bass and a nice drum.  Fella that just pulled out when I was putting in had two crappie that measured 13-14" in his bucket.  That got me excited but never got into em.  Keep me posted and share general location if you are comfortable doing that as I fish the old fashoned way (no electronics and socializing with fellow anglers)  Thanks

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2011, 06:24 PM »
I use to have a lake map of Yankton  , there is an old creek bed that runs the length of the lake and also a hole on the nw corner. there is some good crappie caught around the boat slips in the marina . if I am over that way I would be happy to point you in the right direction

Offline KingCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:18 PM »
I just was emailed this from GF&P regarding SE S.D. ice - it would be nice if they had a statewide report!
Southeast South Dakota Ice Reports

Ice conditions are EXTREMELY UNSTABLE at this time throughout the Southeast Region of SD.  The mild weather has deteriorated ice to the point where extreme caution is advised to anyone who may want to venture onto the ice.  If you do go, the following suggestions are advised:
•   Go with a companion, walk in single file with one person testing the ice while the other person stays on shore, or on good ice, as a rescue person
•   Test the ice often
•   Wear a life jacket
•   Carry ice picks
•   Take a length of rope in case you need to pull your companion out
•   Carry a cell phone where it can stay dry, but easily accessed
•   Have a plan on how you will get out of the water if you happen to go through
•   Don’t go if the ice is unsafe

Aurora County

Wilmarth Lake - Very few fishermen on lake.  Four inches of ice reported last week. There is sheet water starting to be visible on top of ice, with spots opening up on lake. Conditions Very Poor.   

Brookings County

All lakes are 6-10 inches but very UNSTABLE.  Sheet water is starting to develop on ice along with places opening up on some lakes.  Still fisherman activity on ice.

Brookings area lakes had about five inches of ice on average, but there were areas of open water along shore on both Nature Park Ponds.  A couple of holes, drilled near the access point on Gustafson's a few days prior, had caused the ice to deteriorate around them so that you would have gone through if you were not paying attention. 

Hutchinson County

Lake Menno - Around 4 inches of ice with fishing activity present

Kingsbury County

Lake Thompson - Open water on south side of Oldham Grade.  Quite of bit of fishing activity reported on 2 mile, and up around Schaeffer’s Slough.  6-10 inches in places with some open water around the main lake.
Ice on all other lakes is UNSTABLE, with ice anywhere from 5-10 inches.  Some sheet water occurring on lakes.

Lake County

Madison and Brant Lake - 4-7 inches of ice.  Some fishing occurring.
Herman - Due to aerators main lake is open and very dangerous around rest of lake.
Other sloughs/lakes - Thin ice throughout area.

Lincoln County

Lake Alvin - No fishing activity reported.  Ice is 4 inches, but starting to turn blue and becoming very unsafe.
Lake Lakota - Minimal fishing activity. Ice starting to turn blue and becoming unsafe.

McCook County

Lake Vermillion - Open spots on lake with some people still trying to fish. Thin ice around 4 inches.
Island Lake - Fisherman activity present with some thin spots on lake.

Miner County

Lake Carthage - Shack went through ice—EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.  Still some fishing activity.

Minnehaha County

Family Park - Ice is unstable and honeycomb like. No ice fishing advised at this time.
Beaver - Lots of open water in the middle of lake.
Twin Lakes - Some open water around the points 7-10 inches some fishing activity.
Scotts Slough - Ice conditions could be unstable.

Sanborn County

There is no good ice throughout Sanborn County.  No ice fishing advised at this time.

Turner County

Ice is UNSTABLE ON LAKES   

Union County

McCook Lake - EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.  No ice fishing advised at this time.

Offline Flyfishin Dano

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2012, 04:08 PM »
Pulled 22 keeper gills through 3 1/2" of clear ice yesterday on a farm pond near the SD border. Well my son got 17 & I got 5.  So lets see 17+5=One great morning of fishing. Ice was like walking on a pane of glass.  Never have I seen ice so clear, was awsome! Smallest ones in pic measured 8"

Offline IceJunkie16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2012, 04:48 PM »
Any lake yankton reports? or buckskin?

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2012, 04:52 PM »
Yankton is 95% open you can fish from shore real easy . this was today

Offline IceJunkie16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:15 AM »
^Thank you

Offline Yote

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:54 AM »
I'm headin back up to USD in 3 or 4 days. Been dyin to try out my new CLAM. Any small water still hard?

Also just checked the 10 day. Weather.com is callin for lows around 20 startin next Wednesday in the Verm/Yankton area. I'm keepin my fingers crossed.

Nice pics Danno.

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:37 PM »
I'm headin back up to USD in 3 or 4 days. Been dyin to try out my new CLAM. Any small water still hard?

Also just checked the 10 day. Weather.com is callin for lows around 20 startin next Wednesday in the Verm/Yankton area. I'm keepin my fingers crossed.

Nice pics Danno.

Yote,

My classes started up here this week and I can tell you I'm feeling the same pain. All I want to do is drill some holes but there isn't any hard water around. 

I'll probably just head up to Gavins and see what kind of damage I can do up there.
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline Yote

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Yote,

My classes started up here this week and I can tell you I'm feeling the same pain. All I want to do is drill some holes but there isn't any hard water around. 

I'll probably just head up to Gavins and see what kind of damage I can do up there.

Good luck Vex-Um. There is a crew of about 5 or 6 of us that fish Gavins pretty hard between ice out and when they open the gates if you ever want to join. If you do find any good ice let me know if you need a partner.

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2012, 06:18 PM »
LOL I work at USD

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:30 PM »
Good luck Vex-Um. There is a crew of about 5 or 6 of us that fish Gavins pretty hard between ice out and when they open the gates if you ever want to join. If you do find any good ice let me know if you need a partner.

I'm sure I've seen you around Yote. We fishined Gavin's 3-4 times a week last winter and spring.

Offline Yote

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:24 PM »
I'm sure I've seen you around Yote. We fishined Gavin's 3-4 times a week last winter and spring.

We're kinda hard to miss. 5 or 6 USD linemen.

Offline Yote

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:39 AM »
Just checked the 10 day. startin to finally look like ice weather after wednesday. fingers crossed.

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:51 PM »
Yeah, we're going to be heading out Friday to see what we can pull up.

Offline Yote

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:45 PM »
Let me know if you find any ice Vex-Um

Offline Yote

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:11 AM »
Does anyone know if there are any fish left in Burbank Lake? I would like to go check the ice and that's the closest lake to me.

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2012, 02:01 PM »
yes there is you just have to find the holes , I am headed to another lake that is north , I will let you know how that goes

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:19 AM »
I caught a few fish there last year.  I think you have to go way back in the south corner to find any depth.  Otherwise the whole lake is about 5 feet deep.  I put my boat on it last year and it wast just a little iffy.  We fished Island the last couple of days and caught a bunch of perch.  Nothing to brag about but still pretty fun.

Offline Yote

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2012, 11:19 AM »
how was the ice out that way vex?

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2012, 12:03 PM »
Safe, Twin had about 8+ and Island was about 7".  You definitely are going to be hearing the ice make some noise though.

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2012, 12:28 PM »
we jit a little pond north of Vermillion this morning only found 3 to 4 inches so I didnt go out very far

Offline Yote

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2012, 10:53 PM »
Heading west of Sioux Falls tomorrow for a few hours. Thinking Island first assuming the ice is good. Will try waxies and maybe minnows under flags. Does anyone have any suggestions of smaller water out that way if Island is no good?

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2012, 07:28 AM »
Island will be fine.

Offline FrozenFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:41 AM »
I went out to Burbank like 2 times earlier this year before we had the super warm spell that ruined most ice.  We caught a couple sunfish that were easily the size of your hand.  I was shocked at the size.  Im not sure what is all in there.  Last year for fun we set up a bunch of tip ups and caught a bunch of sunfish on them, it was a blast.
""

Offline FrozenFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:43 AM »
Anyone been to Marindahl this year?
""

Offline Yote

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2012, 03:42 PM »
I'm still skeptical about Marindahl. Thats a lot of water to freeze and it hasnt been that cold. We fished island for about 3 and a half hours today. Caught 25 or so small perch. None bigger than 6 or 7 inches. There wasn't a whole lot of ice on Island today either. Some open water and the best ice I could find was right at 5 inches.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.