Author Topic: Lake Ames today  (Read 4119 times)

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
Lake Ames today
« on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:38 PM »
I'm not 100% sure on legality of ice fishing Lake Ames, so I am just going to file this report in the general discussion area.  There are a lot of No Swimming / No Boating / No Ice Skating signs, but I was not the first to ice fish since the last snow.  A Rockaway Twp DPW truck happened to come through while I was unloading and they stopped to chat w/ me a while about ice fishing, so all seems well.

Access: Parking area is plowed and there is room for 3-4 vehicles

Ice: Tons of it! 12-14" everywhere I cut a hole.  About 4" of snow and ice crust on top.

Fish: I put in about an hour after cutting my holes.  No flags on tip ups that were baited with medium shiners.  1 keeper Redfin Pickerel jigging with a gold Kastmaster & wax worm.
Waiting for the ice

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake Ames today
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2011, 05:02 PM »
I'm not 100% sure on legality of ice fishing Lake Ames, so I am just going to file this report in the general discussion area.  There are a lot of No Swimming / No Boating / No Ice Skating signs, but I was not the first to ice fish since the last snow.  A Rockaway Twp DPW truck happened to come through while I was unloading and they stopped to chat w/ me a while about ice fishing, so all seems well.

Access: Parking area is plowed and there is room for 3-4 vehicles

Ice: Tons of it! 12-14" everywhere I cut a hole.  About 4" of snow and ice crust on top.

Fish: I put in about an hour after cutting my holes.  No flags on tip ups that were baited with medium shiners.  1 keeper Redfin Pickerel jigging with a gold Kastmaster & wax worm.

I ice fished Ames back in the early 80's alot. No problem fishing there. The key with  :tipup: :tipup: is to make sure your bait is not lying down on top of the weeds. That place is loaded with weeds and this time of the year in 8 ft of water (probably the deepest depth in the lake) the weed line is only about 3-4' down. So if your bait was set lower than that they were likely laying on their side not doing much of anything to attract fish. I used to set them just above the weed line by getting down close to hole and watching the minnow go down. When I saw it lay on it's side I'd make a 4-6" adjustment and then make sure it was able to swim just above the weeds. You'd need something to keep your knees dry like a lid from a bucket or something or you'll get soaked. I don't think I ever fished there and didn't catch something. Always got at least one fish there.

The wife even fished in a blizzard with me and we landed a nice 4 lb. LM Bass that day in 8" of snow.

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2011, 05:25 PM »
Thanks for the pointers fishgalore.  I'll try setting my tip ups a bit higher in the water next time.

It's not supposed to be a blizzard, but snow is supposed to be headed in tomorrow... and I am planning on going out again.  What kinds of fish had you caught there in the past?  I am happiest when I find perch or crappies, but the fight from a 4 lb LMB would certainly put a smile on my face as well.
Waiting for the ice

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2011, 09:02 PM »
Thanks for the pointers fishgalore.  I'll try setting my tip ups a bit higher in the water next time.

It's not supposed to be a blizzard, but snow is supposed to be headed in tomorrow... and I am planning on going out again.  What kinds of fish had you caught there in the past?  I am happiest when I find perch or crappies, but the fight from a 4 lb LMB would certainly put a smile on my face as well.

I'm pretty sure, pickerel, bass and perch. Don't remember ever getting a crappie out of there.

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2011, 10:47 AM »
caught some crappie last season from their most of the pickeral are are hammer handles but we got some going 24 in all were chain pickeral never caught a red fin in open water walked along the dam and seen some big bass on beds talking 5-7 lbs didnt get any bass thru the ice
nice lake like to try diferant lakes mostly fish hopatcong looking to try mnt hope pond next

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2011, 05:54 PM »
Yeah, that is what I was thinking, Ames is another nice little lake to add to the rotation of spots.  The fish I caught on Thursday was definitely a Redfin American Pickerel.  I took some pictures of it since I don't remember catching one before.

I'll take a better picture before I fillet it (it is hanging out in my livewell until i clean fish later tonight)

Even with all the rain, I went out again today, and I am glad that I did.  Here's today's report.

Access: Parking area has been plowed again, now room for 5-6 vehicles.

Ice: 12-14" ice with 3" crusty stuff on top.  Not messy, no slush even with all the rain.

Fish: In 4 hours of jigging a my 1/12 oz gold kastmaster and wax worm, caught 13 bluegill.  9 were nice and came home with me.  There were two other fellas (speaking Russian, I believe) on the lake who went home with 5 chain pickerel, largest of which was 20".  They were using tip ups and shiners.  They gave me their left over bait, so if they are on here, "thanks again!"

Since it's legit to ice fish there, maybe a moderator could rename this thread "Lake Ames / Morris" and move it to the condition reports forum?
Waiting for the ice

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2011, 05:59 PM »
That fish is a chain pickerel....red fins rarely get over a foot long and have different markings

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2011, 06:14 PM »
That fish is a chain pickerel....red fins rarely get over a foot long and have different markings
Perhaps... but, I've caught plenty of chains, and this does not look like any of them.  Does not match other confirmed chain pickerel from the same water body either.  Fins are very red and fish is 16".

Also, chains and redfins look quite similar except for the red fins.  Take a peek at a picture of some fingerling Esox Americanus (redfin) vs Esox Niger (chain) from SC DNR

My fish clearly looks like a grown up version of the top.
Waiting for the ice

Offline NJ_ICE_HUNTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Come on Cold!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2011, 06:28 PM »
Its a chain pickerel....if it was a Redfin...it would probably be a state record...they rarely get that big.  See NJ records...

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/recfish-fresh.htm

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2011, 06:43 PM »
i don't think it is close to 1 lb 13 oz.  maybe just over 1 lb.  i will email DFW a picture and see what they say.
Waiting for the ice

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:37 PM »
Since it's legit to ice fish there, maybe a moderator could rename this thread "Lake Ames / Morris" and move it to the condition reports forum?

I started the one for Mt. Hope Pond and can start the one for Ames since I know it fairly well but not for a few days. This thread doesn't have to move it can stay here. But the reports & conditions page is not for chit chat only reports and conditions. You ought to post the picture of your catch on here for us to view. I'm curious.

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2011, 06:41 PM »
Got back to Lake Ames.  Parking is fine.  Ice is fine.  There is still 12" or more all the way to shore.  Open water right by the dam though.

Fishing was good.  3 pickerel (16", 14.5", 15"), 1 largemouth (little guy, 8"), 1 perch (big lady, 12") and 13 bluegill, landed jigging in about 3 hours.

The ice season continues!  :icefish: :clap:
Waiting for the ice

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2011, 09:12 PM »

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2011, 09:36 PM »

Offline D Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2011, 11:34 AM »
Got back to Lake Ames.  Parking is fine.  Ice is fine.  There is still 12" or more all the way to shore.  Open water right by the dam though.

Fishing was good.  3 pickerel (16", 14.5", 15"), 1 largemouth (little guy, 8"), 1 perch (big lady, 12") and 13 bluegill, landed jigging in about 3 hours.

The ice season continues!  :icefish: :clap:

gold kastmaster?

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2011, 01:24 PM »
gold kastmaster?
yep, all on gold kastmaster & wax worm.

there were at least 4 fishermen on lake ames when i drove by a few hours ago.  anybody from the shanty?
Waiting for the ice

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2011, 08:31 AM »
Its a chain pickerel....if it was a Redfin...it would probably be a state record...they rarely get that big.  See NJ records...

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/recfish-fresh.htm

I know here in PA they have to be 18" to keep....yet in researching them its almost impossible for them to even reach 18" (from what I remember the world record barely hit it and was around 2lbs) ::) ::)  

From the pic you posted it does look an awful lot like a chain...many times members of the Esox family will get red in their fins from lactic acid buildup which is what it looks like from the pic

http://www.landbigfish.com/fish/fish.cfm?ID=41
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.