The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anybody fish the Red River in winter?  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
Anybody fish the Red River in winter?
« on: Nov 15, 2004, 09:59 AM »
Here in Manitoba there is a very active fishery on the Red River as soon as the ice is safe to walk on.  Mostly walleye and sauger, but occasionally every other species comes up.  I saw the results of the East Grand Forks, MN catfish derby this summer, and figured there has to be someone fishing the Red in North Dakota, or Minnesota in winter.  Or do you all go out to places like Devil's Lake, etc?
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline dldeadstick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NW Angle Blizzard
Re: Anybody fish the Red River in winter?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2004, 01:38 PM »
I only live a mile off it, but have only lived there for a couple years.  I am originally from the Devils Lake area so that's where I usually go, but I've considered trying it.  I know they get some walleyes near my place (by Oslo, MN) but I've never ice fished a river so I'm a little scared of how long to wait for good ice.

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2004, 03:54 PM »
As you know, freeze up  has been pretty slow this year, but here in Winnipeg the Red is just starting to get thin pans of ice on it.  Ice is attached to the shore in most places, for at least 10 feet out, more in some places where the current is slower.  As to when the river is safe to go out on, I can't advise you too well.  Because your current is slower than us here, you'll probably have solid ice before its safe for me, but then, I'm probably 120 miles north of you, so maybe it might freeze sooner here, I don't know. However, if you ask around your town, someone might be fishing the river.  I would say that as long as there is no warm water discharge into the river upstream of you (like a treatment plant or sugar beet factory), the river should be plenty safe by the end of Dec.  Anyway, post what ever you catch, and keep us up to date on those Devil's Lake walleyes, (or Red River walleyes).  good luck!
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Jurgen Witt

« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2004, 05:03 PM »
Been fishing the red river everyday now for about 3 weeks catching
lots of walleyefrom little ones to 33 inchs there is about 8 to 10 inchs of ice.
 :tipup: ;D :tipup: ;D

YOGI

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.