The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Clam vs Eskimo  (Read 13427 times)

Offline Badfish74

• IceShanty Rookie
Clam vs Eskimo
« on: Dec 24, 2017, 09:17 AM »
Merry Christmas fellow ice men/women,
I am in the process of buying a large 6 sided pop up so that my 5 year old has a little more room to roam. I have narrowed it down to the Clam escape and the Eskimo 6 sided but can't find many reviews. Any information on these would be greatly appreciated!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Clam vs Eskimo
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2017, 09:23 AM »
I don't think the Clam hubs have removable windows...which would be a concern of mine .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

oldschoolben

« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2017, 09:24 AM »
I like the Clam shelters , I have a Eskimo but I'm going to get the Clam next time I  buy one ,

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2017, 11:13 AM »
I have the Eskimo 949I and went with that over the Clam because of the black interior (back then the inside of the Clams was blue and the black is far better for sight fishing), removable windows (you can open them for added ventilation or replace them if they ever crack, the Eskimo was cheaper, and I heard lots of good reports about Eskimo's customer service.

Offline Bowman501

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2017, 11:19 AM »
We have the Eskimo and really like it.

Offline Max1520

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2017, 11:33 AM »
I have the Eskimo 6 sided and have been really happy with it. Lots of room and easy to enter/ exit, great standing room height inside. 

Offline jms5580

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2017, 11:50 AM »
I went with the Cabela's thermal. All black. I don't think the windows are removable though. It does have a lifetime warranty.

Offline Troy in Montana

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2017, 09:00 PM »
I won't with the Eskimo quickfish 6. Was looking at the 6 sided one but thought the quickfish 6 would fit my family better.

Offline Hutchmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2017, 12:21 AM »
I have an Eskimo 6120, love it!  Black out interior when I need it, plenty of light when I need it and more than enough room for multiple people.  I went from the Clam to Eskimo and would say they are pretty similiar in the quality of build except for a few things...the zippers on your clam will break after a few outings (it will happen only a matter of time, but easily fixed with 550 cord if that is acceptable to you) and the clam lets in a lot more light.  With the Eskimo, the bag it comes with sucks, too small when you don't want to take the time to roll it up perfectly.  I actually bought an oversized clam bag to fit it in...zippers did break though.   Also the anchors for the clam are not as good as Eskimo, so I ended up buying those for the clam.  Not sure on customer service with clam, but emailed Eskimo and had a response within 12 hours...great to deal with.  I also have an Eskimo quickfish 3 that I bought 6 years ago, it just started coming apart at the hubs where the mount to the fabric is, but easily fixed with gorilla tape..just a point of reference for time of use.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2017, 01:29 PM »
I'd say the shelters are pretty comparable but there is no comparison for the carry bags.  The Eskimo carry bags for most of their shelters are brutal.  They use a "stuff" sack vs. a zip carry bag.  Clam has some of the best carry bags available.  Doesn't sound like a big deal but a good carry bag can save a ton of aggravation on the ice. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline A1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2017, 03:01 PM »
Why are removable windows important? I have had both an eskimo and currently use the clam xl bigfoot.  I prefer the clam. But the windows don't come out if thats the deciding factor.

Offline GuacosTacos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2017, 03:05 PM »
I Love Clam

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2017, 03:27 PM »
Why are removable windows important? I have had both an eskimo and currently use the clam xl bigfoot.  I prefer the clam. But the windows don't come out if thats the deciding factor.

Replacements if they crack ...airing it out ....some windows get a haze on them ...removing them is easier to let them air out ...also on some bluebird days better ventilation .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jms5580

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2017, 08:09 PM »
Cabela's just marked theirs down 20%. Pretty sure it's made by Clam as mine came with Clam instructions.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2017, 08:12 PM »
I'd say the shelters are pretty comparable but there is no comparison for the carry bags.  The Eskimo carry bags for most of their shelters are brutal.  They use a "stuff" sack vs. a zip carry bag.  Clam has some of the best carry bags available.  Doesn't sound like a big deal but a good carry bag can save a ton of aggravation on the ice.
\
If you use cam straps or ratchet straps for your tie downs just put them around the shelter to cinch it tighter and it goes in the bag with room to spare.  I've even used old straps from a life preserver to do that and it worked very well.

Offline Richielupo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2017, 08:16 PM »
Clam base camp all the way.

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2017, 09:15 PM »
I have a Clam 6 pack magnum and it's great.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2017, 12:26 AM »
My vote goes with Eskimo due to the removable Windows. Removable Windows are very important. With Clam, if the Windows split, which they will due to cold, your only option is to repair them with clear packing tape. You may not think that's a big deal until you are trying to look out taped up Windows to check flags. Eskimo also has top notch customer service. Years ago, when I had a split window, Eskimo would mail me free ones with free shipping. Now, I think they charge a few bucks for replacements. But, at least you can replace them. I think the quality of construction is about equal between the two, but I think Eskimo has better fabric.

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2017, 12:39 AM »
Taking my 949i out tomorrow for its maiden voyage.  I’ll report back.  Hoping the buddy heater/insulated fabric combo keeps the wife and kids warm.

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2017, 01:00 AM »

If you email Eskimo, they'll give you the PN to order the zipper style duffel bag. No more stuffing in a cinch sack. I think the one for the 949i was like $30.

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2017, 09:42 AM »
If you email Eskimo, they'll give you the PN to order the zipper style duffel bag. No more stuffing in a cinch sack. I think the one for the 949i was like $30.

I don’t think it could be too hard to make one, either.

Offline Smat64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2017, 09:51 AM »
I like the removable windows for summer flat storage and be able to pull a corner down for a clear view, especially when they get foggy/condensation.

Fish On! zzzzzzzz

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2017, 09:58 AM »
I'm on my 4th year with my Clam Big Foot XL4000T and I still love it. The windows look like brand new and I have never had a desire to take them out. I am sure it's different now, but when I bought it I looked at both and the Clam had much bigger diameter poles and hubs. The only issue I had is the zipper pulls broke but that was easy to fix with some paracord and now it's better than new. I would buy it again in a heart beat.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Freddy406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2017, 11:45 AM »
I have had good luck with my 949i Eskimo.
Tight Lines and Screaming Reels!

Offline montanapiker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2017, 12:04 PM »
I have a clam Bigfoot hub and it is awesome.  Black on the inside with vents near the top that keep the windows from icing up.  With a big buddy heater the thing is WARM.  I've never had an issue with the windows.  The bag is plenty big enough to stuff the shanty and any other extras for it with room to spare.  Only thing I like about the Eskimos is that they make the 6x12 and they are less expensive than the clam

Offline Benlr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2017, 03:02 PM »
I picked up a Clam bigfoot as well last year, I have never owned an Eskimo but i prefer the construction quality of the Clam, just seems like it is going to hold up quite a bit longer.

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2017, 03:13 PM »
Set up the 949i for the first time today and I really liked it.  It was really warm, really dark, and easy up/easy down.  Not much more I want from a shelter.

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2017, 04:42 PM »
If warranty and customer service is important to you then you can't beat Eskimo!

Offline pikemann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 27, 2017, 06:48 PM »
Quick fish 3. I've had 3 of them. Very nice hut. No cons and alot of pros.

Offline donzov

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2017, 07:11 PM »
    I have a eskimo 949i. I chose it over the clam because of the windows, not because they're removable but because they're lower and I can check my tip ups from my chair. It's nice to remove them to dry it out also.
    The complete darkness when you close all the windows is great. I bought mine mid season and they gave me another year of warranty just for asking. In the many years I've had it there have been zero issues.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.