The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Auger size.  (Read 2758 times)

Offline elk hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Auger size.
« on: Jan 02, 2017, 02:08 PM »
Looking to purchase a gas auger, pros and cons between 8" and 10".
If the elk aren't bugling.    I am fishing

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Auger size.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2017, 02:17 PM »
Most fish you catch will fit through an eight inch hole and one other BIG plus to it is kids are less likely to fall through it, I couldn't imagine going through life knowing a little kid fell through a hole I made.  The draw back is if you get a big fish you have to pull out the transducer if you fish with a flasher.  I've been using a gas auger since 2003 and haven't ever had a fish not fit through the hole. 

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2017, 02:33 PM »
I looked at both the 8" and 10" augers when looking to buy one myself.  Ended up splitting the difference and bought a 9".  I think the biggest plus for a 10" auger would be if you did a lot of fishing for bigger fish, like lake trout. 

Offline SummerSucks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2017, 02:54 PM »
Even adults with big clumsy feet can fall in a 10" hole.  Hurts your pride more than anything else.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2017, 03:20 PM »
I bought a 10" auger because I fish for kokanee on Georgetown Lake, and want to be able to see them through the hole.  You can catch a lot more kokanee if they are in the top 8'-10' of water and you can see them nipping at your lure.  I've caught some pretty big lake trout and pike, but none of them were so big that I couldn't have gotten them through an 8" hole.  However, a 10" hole does make landing big fish a bit easier.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2017, 03:28 PM »
10" all the way. Bigger fish come through that hole way easier unless you don't fish for big fish.
Someone might get a wet boot but no one will fall through a 10" hole.

Offline B bob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2017, 03:33 PM »
any fish will fit through an 8" hole but if you fish with tip ups  and have ever chipped out a hole, those 8" holes seem a lot smaller than the 10"  For any other purpose 8" is fine.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2017, 05:02 PM »
yup almost any fish will fit.
Its still way easier to get the nose of a fish started up the hole when its 10" vs any other size.
Don't know how many times i've had a big fish laying under the ice with his nose on one side of the hole and the rest of his body stuck under the other side of the hole....and they just lay there until you reach in with your arm or something else to move them. That problem is 99% alleviated with a 10" hole.
Also with a 10" hole you dont have to pull your transducer as much, many smaller fish shoot right by it on the way out of the hole.

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2017, 06:40 PM »
Would you rather say you had an 8"er or a 10"er!  ;D

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2017, 07:16 PM »
  ;D

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im on the ice right now, or wishing i was
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2017, 08:53 PM »
8 inch saves with weight and keeps your feet dry if you stumble in one, and kids stay dry, I cut 30 to 50 holes saves time 8 inch is fast, easier 8, unless your fishing fort peck then 10 inch is easier to chip your tip ups out
Every one can go fishing, " not every one can catch fish

Offline Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2017, 09:10 PM »
Love my 10" no reason I'm just hard headed bigger is better

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:18 AM »
I always fished a 10" until last season when I got the Ion 8". I figured if I didn't like the 8" then I would go ahead & buy the 10" bit for it. No need.....the 8" works fine.

Offline The-Walleye-Guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:25 AM »
I would decide Depending On How much you move around as opposed to set up for the day and leave it,
8 inch drills so much faster and is also much lighter by the time you consider the extra ice weight.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:41 AM »
I have seen a lot of gear go down a 10" hole. 

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:30 AM »
Lol

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:41 AM »
Would you rather say you had an 8"er or a 10"er!  ;D

Dang you beat me too it.  If 8 is good enough 10 is better.   ;) ::)

I use an 8" and with the exception of having to chip out overnight tip ups it works great.  A lot of times a 6" auger would be fine.

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2017, 10:36 AM »
If you are mostly jig fishing or living in western Montana I would suggest 8".  If living on the east side and do a lot of tip up fishing and leaving them overnight go with 10".

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2017, 11:00 AM »
Tough 2 fit a 10lb walleye or 20lb pike through an 8" hole. Don't wanna be drilling out more room when fighting a hawg! Gotta have the 10". Better 2 have it and not need then need it and not have it.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2017, 12:39 PM »
I bought a 10" auger because I fish for kokanee on Georgetown Lake, and want to be able to see them through the hole.  You can catch a lot more kokanee if they are in the top 8'-10' of water and you can see them nipping at your lure.  I've caught some pretty big lake trout and pike, but none of them were so big that I couldn't have gotten them through an 8" hole.  However, a 10" hole does make landing big fish a bit easier.
agree that 2 inch makes a diferrence for sight fishin g town..fa sure

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2017, 12:42 PM »
I always fished a 10" until last season when I got the Ion 8". I figured if I didn't like the 8" then I would go ahead & buy the 10" bit for it. No need.....the 8" works fine.
same thing spitz..my ten inch jiffy sits in the shop..8 inch ion all the way..but I don't get into the size like m fish...hymm sometimes ido..lol ..its harder to get them 5 lb bucket months thru a smaller 2 inch radius fa sure however in my humble assumption

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:42 PM »
I like my 10" auger. A big ole boot will fit in that hole, I just try to make sure any hole I drill I kick all of the cuttings off of it so people can see it. I've stepped in a few of my own that I left not cleaned out good. Big fish and landing is just easier out of a 10" IMO.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2017, 05:36 PM »
but I don't get into the size like m fish

Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of us do Chris !!  ;D

Offline creepincm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2017, 06:11 PM »
I use a nils 6" auger on my dewalt 20v drill 95% of the year typically fishing for trout and perch.  Nice to not pack my 10" gas auger around and have to deal with gas or running issues. The only time it gets broke out is usually a handful of trips to fort peck.

Offline BloodShotP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:03 PM »
Once you go 10", you wont go back. I am so used to a 10" when I have to fish an 8" hole for any reason it seems tiny. Love the extra room, like STD said, Better to have the room and not need it vs. needing and not having the space. And MissoulaFish makes a great point on getting the head through the hole on those bigger fish, if only I had his problems....But really, love my 10".

Offline 20 Below

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:13 PM »
I will wade in on this one carefully. I have a 10" gas auger that weighs a lot but I do love the "hole size" and convenience. I also have a 6" hand auger that is really nice for my fish finder hole. I frequently set up with several holes but at least three - one for each of my typical two rod set up - one jigging and one deadstick with the third being between the first two for my fish finder so I can see both baits and do not have to pull the transducer out to fight a fish.

All that said - an 8" is lighter and cuts through faster with less energy and the 10" gives a lot of room to easily get a fish out without bumping the sides so it is a choice to be made based on weight of the auger and convenience. For remote fishing I like the 6" or 5" hand auger based on ultra light weight and fast cutting. I once owned an 8" hand auger for a month - way too much work - try that compare and you will see the real difference in auger sizes.

Fish long and be well!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2017, 12:51 AM »
I have an 8" and have never caught a fish that wouldn't go through the hole.  One thing, If you get a 10", make sure you have the horsepower to drive that big old screw, or your engine will be bogging down.

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:55 AM »
The biggest pro for a 10" hole is when I leave tip ups out when it's below zero your 10" hole becomes a 8" real quick. Yeah we chip out the holes as often as we can but sooner or later they just get smaller and smaller. But for just day trips when it's warm out an 8" would be fine, just harder to get bigger fish through the hole.

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline BloodShotP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:16 PM »
I think a nice powerful 10, like the eskimo 77 cc is great for certain conditions, and a smaller 6 inch Nils hand auger would be great for others. Just get both.

Offline 12BHNTN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:19 PM »
Lots of good responses.  If I never fished for anything bigger than perch I'd stick with 8" for many of the reasons mentioned.  Anything bigger than a pound comes through a 10" hole much easier so I'd opt for the 10".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.