The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: My Auger is Trying to Kill Me  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Frozenflyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
My Auger is Trying to Kill Me
« on: Dec 06, 2015, 06:18 PM »
Hi All

My auger is trying to kill me!

I have a strike master 10" with a new solo power head and and old Lazer Mag auger with chipper blade. Last year trying to cut through the last 1/2 inch of ice at the bottom of an 18" hole and this year cutting through the last 1/2 inch of ice on a 6" (black ice) hole ... my auger is grabbing and ripping free of my arms! It is all I can do to hold onto the thing and finish the hole! Does anyone know why this is happening and what I can do to cut a hole safely? I had to build up the nerve to drill 5 holes yesterday after the first one damn near ripped my right arm out of the socket! It used to cut like a dream ... now it scares me. That said ... it was worth it for the fish  !

Could it be that the new solo power head is too powerful for the Lazer Mag chipper auger? you would think an auger is an auger but perhaps it is not...

It also sucks that even with brand new blades my 8" manual strike master auger I can't get a hole started either ... so the hand auger doesn't want to cut and the power auger does right up until the bottom of the hole!

I really hope that someone can me figure out the issues with my manual auger or power auger.

Thanks in advance

FFG

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: My Auger is Trying to Kill Me
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2015, 06:34 PM »
Best bet is to try new blades and send the old ones out to be sharpened. As for the hand auger Try the old blades. I had one that I screwed up the angle rendering it as junk. Make sure you have the blades on properly.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2015, 07:07 PM »
Can you tell when the blades are about ready to cut through? Only reason I ask is I wonder if you "back off" the last inch if it will still bind up??

Offline BK_Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2015, 07:29 PM »
X2 on blades, it's amazing how poorly they cut when get bent out of alignment at even the slightest angle.

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2015, 07:34 PM »
Sounds as if you are applying down pressure on the power auger? Really, with good blades/blade, pressure shouldn't be needed, it should pull itself through the ice as it cuts. That alone could cause the auger to grab and torque the head. There should also be an internal clutch to allow for slippage if it binds up. May need to take it apart or take it into a small engine shop to set it up. Sounds like your clutch is stuck. Does the auger continue to turn when it's on idle?

Offline Frozenflyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2015, 07:59 PM »
Hey Papa John

It doesn't spin when it idles but it starts as soon as you hit the throttle.  It's crazy because I have brand new blades and its not like there are a whole lot of ways that they can be put on.  There was one mention to just run it full throttle and that's when it ripped right out of my hands!  I have heard that I should shim the blades so they don't bite as hard.  I don't put down pressure on and it cuts like butter right up until that last little bit of ice!  I think I will call Strikemaster as well and see what they say ... I would hate to blow the new power head right off the bat.

Thanks for all (except Nester's ... :) ) comments ... keep them coming ... maybe there is a silver bullet out there!

Cheers

FFG

Offline tiptoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2015, 08:00 PM »
Something doesn't sound quite right.
My understanding is that if strike master has "lazer" in the name, that indicates that it is the double cutting blade setup.  This includes the Lazer Mag.
I am also under the impression that the power head for the Lazer(double cutting blades) is geared differently that the power head for the chipper style blades. Might be worth double checking this?

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2015, 08:09 PM »
   I would check the clutch springs and clutch assem. Sounds like it's hanging up.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2015, 08:14 PM »
Something doesn't sound quite right.
My understanding is that if strike master has "lazer" in the name, that indicates that it is the double cutting blade setup.  This includes the Lazer Mag.
I am also under the impression that the power head for the Lazer(double cutting blades) is geared differently that the power head for the chipper style blades. Might be worth double checking this?

Do you have two Chipper blades on a Lazer drill unit ...that would be a problem ..... may be a picture is in order...even one chipper blade on a Lazer drill would pose a problem
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Frozenflyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2015, 09:09 PM »
Ok ... So more details. The original auger was a Strikemaster Magnum 2000.  10" with chipper blade.  I blew the power head ( well I blame my friends ) and then bought a new power head  a Solo from Strikemaster ... With the expressed intent to use the same auger flight.  The blade (just one) is brand spanking new. No obvious damage to flight or point or blades.  Ice wasn't great but it was black 6".

My 8" Strikemaster hand auger has 2 new blades but won't bite ... But at least it isn't trying to hurt me.  Just doesn't work

FFG

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2015, 09:13 PM »
Try some shims on the back edge of the blade to give a bit more bite.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2015, 10:16 PM »
I checked some rpm specs on both the Mag 2000 and the Solo engines. The Solo engine with 40:1 gearbox spins the auger nearly 30% faster than the Mag with a 25:1 box.  I would strongly suggest you call the Strikemaster tech dept. and ask them about your retro fit. My guess is that the auger design/ pitch has been changed on the 10" auger to accommodate the higher rpm's. Maybe not, but better you not break an arm (or worse) and call the tech. Speed and torque ratios are critical on these ice grinders.

Offline montanahardwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2015, 10:40 PM »
lots of great suggestion people are giving you. ease up on pressure before breaking thru.  when you put last blades on did the tab of the blade go on correctly, "in the Auger side" and last look to see if it is still flat in the bottom after many years of use they tend to bend out thus giving a larger gap between blade and skid plate.
this will cause the blade to cut faster however it will grab the last chunk when breaking thru locking the auger up and taking your arms in to the spin of death.  Good luck!!

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2015, 11:01 PM »
Nice catch Papa John
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2015, 10:15 PM »
You should be able to run just about any bit on any powerhead without the issue you are describing...otherwise they wouldn't sell powerheads and drills seperately.  BUT, call and ask for sure...

Try lifting up on the auger a bit to clear some chips then go for the final breakthru.  You know you do NOT have to have the thing at full throttle all the time right?  Try blipping the throttle some as you break thru, so if it does catch maybe not so violent?  I have the 3HP Solo and have run 6" 8" and 10" LAZER bits and they all drill the same...never did like the chipper bits much...

As for your hand auger, loosen the bolts, then make sure you tighten them just snug, taking turns and not just cranking one down tight, then tightening the other...alternate, like putting a wheel on a car,  they can get just slightly off and not bite...(are they the swedish blades or China?  If China, call StrikeMaster and insist they send you the original Swedish blades...they will

Mike
www.howesfishing.com
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2015, 11:07 PM »
I had the same exact problem you are describing with a chipper unit. On the bottom of the flighting, there is a metal rod welded from the flighting to the end of the plate where the blade attaches. My weld was broken on the plate. So when I got to the bottom of the hole, it would rip it out of my hands. It was straight up scary drilling a hole. What happens is that it would pretty much bend on the bottom and throw the pitch so bad that it pretty much anchors itself stopping it instantly and the motor was still wide open-ripping it right out of your hands.

I'd look for that broken weld.

Offline birddog8825

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2015, 12:28 AM »
I got tire of those gas augers and bought a clam plate drill adapter armed it with a makit xph 07 it has 1090 lbs of torque drills 6 or 8 inch with ease drilled 40 plus holes 15 inch ice like butter. 2 to 1 faster had 3 amp makita battery used only enough power restored with 8 minute charge. This drill has 2 1/2 TIMES THE TORQUE.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2015, 04:19 PM »
Any luck on there being a broken weld?

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2015, 06:34 PM »
I got tire of those gas augers and bought a clam plate drill adapter armed it with a makit xph 07 it has 1090 lbs of torque drills 6 or 8 inch with ease drilled 40 plus holes 15 inch ice like butter. 2 to 1 faster had 3 amp makita battery used only enough power restored with 8 minute charge. This drill has 2 1/2 TIMES THE TORQUE.

Inch pounds that is...

Offline Frozenflyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2015, 11:59 AM »
So after replacing the auger ... my Strikemaster is again cutting like butter!  Drilled over 25 holes yesterday without an issue! I am now wondering how the auger flight got damaged with the likely suspect being the moving company we used since it was working just fine before the move! 

Thanks to all who offered their thoughts on how to overcome auger challenges!

Good luck to everyone on the hardwater!

FFG

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2015, 01:09 PM »
Relieved to hear you have it working properly. Go get "em!

Offline Frozenflyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2015, 01:41 PM »
Thanks Papa John!

I feel a lot better now getting my wife to drill all the holes now!  We fished on Sunday and managed to land 4o walleye between us.  She got the biggest of the bunch around the 4lb mark.  Feeling very spoiled to have been out 4 times already this year when all my friends in Ontario are about a month away from hitting the hardwater!

Be safe out there

FFG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.