The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Is the rest of the nation made up of wimps?  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is the rest of the nation made up of wimps?
« on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:29 PM »
I'm guessing so watching news reporters warning people they will die if they go out in -12 wind chill. It's simply a wonder anyone from Duluth to Missoula and north has managed to survive THIS long.  ;D

Laughable, embarrassing and distressing  all that same time watching this nonsense. ???

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Is the rest of the nation made up of wimps?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:34 PM »
I know I posted this on the Chit Chat page but it's still funny  ;D ;D

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline chuckscrat

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I had to keep it,it died when I removed the meat.!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:38 PM »
I lived 100 miles north of Duluth a fair chunk of my life and several flat out -40 nights per winter are common!! Now its the apocalypses if the windchill hits -40.

They closed the schools in MN due to cold?? sad,very sad.

less news! more fish :} :tipup:

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:44 PM »
Looks like we are lucky to survive every winter, don't know how we do it?

Offline gso12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2014, 06:52 PM »
I know I posted this on the Chit Chat page but it's still funny  ;D ;D

my girlfriend and I were just talking bout that storm...How true great post lol
]

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2014, 06:57 PM »
It's not fair, the rest of the nation gets a great cold snap and we get stuck 30 degree temps. I'd gladly trade them and then they could stop whining and the edges of Noxon wouldn't be such a pain to get on and off lately :)

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2014, 08:27 PM »
Yes...

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2014, 08:53 PM »
I don't like people that ask me, don't you hate this cold?

New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:07 PM »
   Love the cold snaps here. We get a break from the wind.

strgon84

« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:50 PM »
Yeah no kiddin, in GF we are forecast 50 degrees and equal wind. I hope the ice holds out where im goin. just slightly north from GF the temps seem to be in the ices favor. guess we'll find out this weekend!

Offline MTMizzou

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:53 PM »
It does kind of make me chuckle.  But then again, I hear people complain when it starts hitting about 80 degrees. I try to imagine what people would do here if it was 115 with 98% humidity. It would be the heat wave of the century. In Missouri, it is called August.I never minded too much because I never had to mow the grass that month...it was already dead. Until I lived a summer in CO, and then moved up here, I never realized being in the shade did anything for you in the summer besides made things less bright.
Mizzou-Rah!

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:55 PM »
It got hot here in north centeral North Dakota today.  It was above zero (1-3 degrees) for like 3 hours and the wind was under 10 MPH.  I seriously was walking around without a coat on. 

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2014, 10:18 PM »
I'm not in your state, but yes, most of the rest of the country are wimps. It's pathetic. And the further south you go the worse it gets.

James

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2014, 10:29 PM »
I agree...here in western Wisconsin evidentially it was too cold to have school on Monday, but the kids and I went out icefishing all day.  Not much in the way of fish...but I made sure to have them tell their teachers when they get back that they were out on the lake all day!

One more thing to remember as long as I'm on the subject.  Does anyone else remember when they changed the formula for figuring wind chill?  I had heard that according to the old method of it that on Monday in Minneapolis it would have been -60 windchill, but instead it was only -40.  Maybe that's why we have global warming...it's that darn new math!

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2014, 06:38 AM »
Gees, I wish there was a "like" button on this thing like Facebook has, some really funny comments from you guys. It does seem that way though, a couple mild winters and everyone freaks out when the mercury dips. Was talking with my sis in Wisconsin the other day thinking back to the "old days" when we were raised on a farm north of Green Bay. My dad took me ice fishing in zero temps with a spud bar, rods with a couple nails in them to wind line on, felt liners in buckle rubber boots, and two, going on three,  feet of ice. Really moved up in the world when he bought a 6" Sweedish spoon-type hand auger. Took lots of hole skimming to catch those bluegills and crappies.

Offline Born 2 Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2014, 10:45 AM »
The same is true for snowfall. I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where we would get lake effect snow from Lake Superior. Over 300" of snowfall every year with 36" - 40" of overnight snowfall at least once a week. Up and shoveling at 5 am every morning so we could get to school. The last few high school football games in October would be played in 2 feet of snow.  This happens in New York and its lights out! The whole city shuts down and that is all you see on the news. Boo freakin' hoo!

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2014, 11:29 AM »
A buddy of mine lives in Tennessee.  He live here in MT for 6-7 years and got to experience the cold and wind.  He said and I quote "it is a damn mess" with people hoarding food and, of all, things toilet paper.  They cancelled work on Monday.

That cold snap we had in December had me out chasing ducks and elk (damage hunt).  My waders froze solid and I could hardly walk but yet I was happy as a toad. 

My only complaint when it gets that cold is my beers freeze faster than I can drink them and my rod eyelets get froze...ah 1st world problems   ::)

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2014, 11:45 AM »
I can't believe they haven't yet started a polar vortex naming system similar to hurricanes.  :P
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2014, 11:58 AM »
Gosh this is entertaining, should be read on national news so the rest of this country  gets a clue. Got a kick out of the news that was reported about how "frigid" it was and the wind chill factors. What they need to report is how the guys in the Dakotas and eastern Montana are reporting to work on the oil rigs everyday and the residents who go on with life normally dealing with this stuff every winter. Here in western Montana most guys (me included) are praying for another cold snap to close in the big, deeper lakes so we can get out there. It's fun checking the Dakota, Minn, and Wis. state sites on here and reading about the ice-mongers back there. Maine and upper N.Y. have a serious bunch of hole-choppers as well. Oh well, we'll just smile and put the truck in 4-wheel low... away we go!

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2014, 12:13 PM »
But then again, I hear people complain when it starts hitting about 80 degrees.

Yep that would be me  ;D
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2014, 12:24 PM »
I can't believe they haven't yet started a polar vortex naming system similar to hurricanes.  :P

Actually they have haha. I think they are calling this one polar vortex hercules or something.  Too funny. Just more reason for them to stay away from MT and more room for me  ;D

MTA

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2014, 12:30 PM »
Polar freaking vortex.....ITS CALLED WINTER!!!!!!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2014, 12:32 PM »
I can't speak for everyone from the northeast, but for most ice anglers, we welcome the cold like a long lost family member!
Of course, we get 2 inches of snow and they close the schools, the city and state workers (oxymoronic statement) get sent home early, and  our lame governor requests (I.E. he asks) business to send people home IF POSSIBLE.

The last time they did this it caused a major PIA as people were stuck in traffic for hours on a 15 minute drive home!

We get angry parents because now they HAVE to stay home because they schools closed, but they still have to work!

Then we get a real snowstorm with a couple of feet of snow and people are completely lost!
The city and state resources are already spent on the 2" storm so now they're broke and can't afford to pay plow drivers.
The snow removal budget gets wasted on a dusting of snow and leaves nothing for the major storms THAT THEY KNOW WE WILL GET EVERY YEAR!!!

So, yeah I'd say the northeast (if you exclude the hunting and fishing crowd) are complete wussies and wouldn't know what to do in a real snow emergency!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2014, 12:34 PM »
Maine and upper N.Y. have a serious bunch of hole-choppers as well. Oh well, we'll just smile and put the truck in 4-wheel low... away we go!

Almost 2 feet of ice already on Chaumont Bay up near the Canadian border in NY.

Last week we had 47 below zero wind chills, the week before that we had 2 inches of freezing rain and this week so far it's been 4 feet or more of snow just south of here...
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2014, 12:42 PM »
I feel real blessed that I live in an area where it gets cold in the winter.  It provides me a winter of recreation and fun.  It also keeps those people that don't like the cold and snow inside, away from the outdoors that we like to be in.  If they were outdoors, they would be wanting to change everything, declaring that our engine ice augers, etc. were polluting their environment.  So I say we need to let them know how bad this temperature really is and how bad we have it, so that they will stay where they are at and not screw up our winter recreation.   Happy trails!   DH

Offline hagfan72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2014, 12:45 PM »

My only complaint when it gets that cold is my beers freeze faster than I can drink them ...

Hmm, never had that problem.  LOL, maybe I drink them too fast. :P

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2014, 12:49 PM »

I LOVE NORTHERN MICHIGAN

LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2014, 12:54 PM »
It's not exactly THAT unusual for winter to be cold. ;D

I recall a trip my wife and a couple made to Hubbard County MN in about Jan 1982 and the actually temp was -51 one morning. My friend and I bundled up, put on the bunny boots, grabbed the .22s and went after snowshoe rabbits. Found plenty, but the firing pins would not fall quick enough to set off a rimfire.

A couple years later while stationed at GF AFB  it went below zero on Nov 10 and stayed there until Jan 6 when a Jan thaw arrived. It was tough keeping vehicles going obviously, but nothing more than most of the Yukon gets every year.

Then in the 90's we had an actual temp of 52 below on our barn thermometer west of Grand Forks near Larimore.

That said....we later moved back to Montana for "warm" weather. ::)

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2014, 12:59 PM »
We can help fix this epidemic!  We need to start teaching people at a young age that in the WINTER it gets COLD.  And then in the SUMMER it gets HOT. 

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2014, 01:45 PM »
We can help fix this epidemic!  We need to start teaching people at a young age that in the WINTER it gets COLD.  And then in the SUMMER it gets HOT. 

Jay

That might require getting them to leave the video games alone for a day or two.... :'(

It's not just kids, I don't think 97% of humans now understand a thing about nature, our role in it as a species nor that we are part of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.