The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Any word on Nelson?  (Read 1574 times)

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Any word on Nelson?
« on: Nov 30, 2010, 12:01 PM »
Hey, is there any news on the ice for Nelson Reservoir?  It has been cold for weeks now, so I would imagine it should be getting thicker.

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Any word on Nelson?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2010, 12:19 PM »
called westside sports for ya and sounds like they're fishing tip-ups on 3'' to 4'' and aren't catching much. west side sports # is 6541611
Live Free Or Die.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2010, 06:01 PM »
Da-Jigger's report is accurate.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Perch tugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2010, 11:37 PM »
I heard tonight that there have been some fish caught at Nelson and should be good starting this weekend.

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2010, 07:34 PM »
I didn't fish today, chose duck hunting instead...poor choice.  Gonna hit it in the am though.  I'm guessing ice is ~9-12", but I haven't been on it.  Plenty of folks out today and 4-wheelers.  Hoping ice isnt too thick cause my auger is out of comish for a week or so and I'll be hand drilling with my 6" lazer.  With my luck, this will be the day that I hook a 12lb fish and get it stuck since I'll be using a small hole. ;D

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2010, 01:39 PM »
Fished from sunrise to ~11:00 this am.  Was great right at sun up, iced a walleye on the jig rod and ended up chasing flags for a while so couldn't focus on the rod.  I only set out 3 tip ups but was chasing them for the "good bite" and iced some northerns, nothing big.  By the time I got back to the jig rod at about 8:30, the bite had slowed down.  Missed another walleye on the jig and iced a few more nothers.  Also caught a few perch, but after about 9 am they were pretty tight lipped and took a ton of coaxing and some moving to find active fish.

Not a great day, but a good start anyway.  Think I'll watch some football this afternoon instead of heading out for the evening bite.

Tight lines.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2010, 01:54 PM »
Thanks a lot guys.  I just moved back to Dodson from Missoula, and am anxious to catch some walleyes.  Georgetown was fun for trout and kokes, but nothing beats Nelson.  I will have to give it a shot next weekend.  Hopefully, I won't have too much trouble with my Mora hand auger.

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2010, 07:45 PM »
It was easy going with my hand auger thankfully.  ~6" of ice.  That mora will kill you pretty soon though when the ice gets drivable.  I think one hole would take me 15 minutes ;D

Wish we didn't have so much snow cause I'd like to hit some of the reservoirs down south, but I'm not gonna go get myself stuck now :(

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2010, 09:37 PM »
Where are you duck hunting?  I can't find any more open water.  I have pretty much given up on duck hunting this year.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2010, 08:05 PM »
I am just wondering how the ice is going to hold up this weekend with this warm weather.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2010, 06:45 PM »
Every highway, paved road, and 2-track drifted over today. I wouldn't worry too much about the ice, it's about to get cold again for 5 days.

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2010, 08:06 PM »
ice aint going anywhere.  Pretty good storm this morning.  Biggest problem will be getting close enough to the lake without getting stuck in the drifts!  I hate that about nelson, getting on the lake can be impossible sometimes. 

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2010, 08:35 PM »
You're right wingnutty,  I usually drive around the north side which can be impossible in weather like this.  I have chains.  But, I'm not sure they will work.  I have been stuck there before.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2010, 10:26 PM »
I bumped into Mr. Wingnutty on Nelson yesturday. We did a little perchin' together this morning. It's kinda nice to bump into another I.S. member. Have a great rest of your season bud. ;D

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2010, 11:27 PM »
Thanks Doublehaul,  Maybe I will bump into you guys someday.  I will be in a green Eskimo Quick Flip shanty with the only hand auger in Phillips County.  Have a great season!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.