The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ice rods  (Read 1968 times)

Offline grizinidaho

• IceShanty Rookie
ice rods
« on: Dec 08, 2010, 01:03 PM »
Greetings to all, I am an Ag/Shop teacher and I am teaching my students to use some tools in the shop.  I was messing around the other day and made a homemade pole with the handle and reel turned on the lathe.  I wasn't sure how they would work, but I used them up on Split Rock the other day and really liked them.  I am thinking about using them as a fundraiser for our FFA program or just the shop.  Would there be any interest in them?  I would think the price would be between 6 and 10 depending on what we decide to make the handle and reel out of.  Just a thought, let me know.

oldschoolben

Re: ice rods
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2010, 01:10 PM »
where are you

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2010, 01:48 PM »
Post some pics

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2010, 02:44 PM »
FFA is a good program, I would be willing purchasea rod to try
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline grizinidaho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2010, 02:58 PM »
we're operating out of Simms, by Great Falls, I spend a lot of time between the home town of Conrad, Great Falls and Missoula.  The pictures may take a few days, I don't have access to the right programs if this is like many discussion boards.  If it is super easy, please enlighten me.  I'm assuming I have to put it on the internet to copy the url first...  Thanks.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2010, 04:43 PM »
My daughter is in FFA in Kalispell, it's a good program. I'd be interested in possibly buying a couple depending on how they come out.

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2010, 04:55 PM »
we're operating out of Simms, by Great Falls, I spend a lot of time between the home town of Conrad, Great Falls and Missoula.  The pictures may take a few days, I don't have access to the right programs if this is like many discussion boards.  If it is super easy, please enlighten me.  I'm assuming I have to put it on the internet to copy the url first...  Thanks.

Here is how to post pics http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=31022.0

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2010, 05:00 PM »
You bet we would be interested. Finally something made in the good ol USA.

Offline fisherman_chuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2010, 05:47 PM »
Clayton are you trying to take poor peoples money again? FFA is a good program and we all should support it if we can!

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2010, 05:50 PM »
I'm ready to order, need a per. doz. price
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:16 PM »
Since your name here makes it sound like you must be a griz fan...I think I'll pass. No, I would be interested in a couple probably. Always good to support kids in worthwhile projects.

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:53 PM »
 Hey grizinidaho, Do you know Pat V. at North Middle School?  You sound like Birds of a Feather.  His Fishing club should be a national model.  If the mods let you sell here, definitely get some pics up and you'll be busier than beaverdams.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline onpoint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:00 PM »
I'm in Great Falls and will buy a couple also. Can we get your phone number?

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:25 PM »
I'd like to hear and see more as well.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2010, 08:17 PM »
Hey Griz, That sounds like a great idea.  I am a shop teacher in Dodson.  Another idea you may be able to sell are wooden trout nets.  We tried that one year.  The net material and hardware got kind of expensive though.

Offline grizinidaho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2010, 08:14 AM »
Wow thanks for all the responses ill get some pictures up this coming week and my phone is 264 5110 ask for the shop or clayton

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2010, 10:12 AM »
I'm interested in any program that supports and helps kids.  I'd definitely purchase a couple of 'custom' rods!!

Copperjohn, you're right about Pat and his program......was just introduced to him and the program a few days ago.....

Offline grizinidaho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:37 AM »
Ok, after a weekend of wrestling tournaments and fishing at split rock, I got this picture thing figured out.  As you can see by the pictures, they are nothing fancy, however, for some reason fish seem to bite more on the equipment you spend $5 on than $40.  Or maybe that is just the way it is for me.  I got sick of having to pay 15-60 bucks for a rod with a reel that would stay on.  Many seem to come with the cheesy rubber straps that let loose as soon as a big trout is on the other end of the line.  I was fishing with the ex's dad and his father had made a bunch of rods similar to these.  I seriously questioned their ability to work, but they worked great on the big rainbows in Canyon Ferry.  I had been searching for a plastic reel spool but couldn't find any.  I broke out the lathe in the shop the other day and made some out of Fir.  As you can see in the picture, I mount my reel on the bottom of the pole, it seems to be easier for me to handle that way.  The handle on this particular pole is a shovel handle that needed to be removed from the shop.  This seemed better than the burn pile.  The first ones that I made I just used a dowel and punched a hole in the end.  I use a bolt with a wing nut to tighten or loosen the reel.  If you set it fairly tight, a fish can run a little but the friction of the reel against the handle acts as a drag.  I am still testing these, but they worked for perch on split rock.  For the rod itself, I used clearance rods from WalMart that I got once upon a time for $2 and threw out the bottom half.  I had mom stop by some pawn shops the other day and pick me up some old rods and they averaged about$4.50 or so.  I am thinking that our chapter would charge about $10.00 for them and if you ordered ten or more they would be $9.00 (Plus shipping if I'm sending it across the state).  If you want the handle and reel made of a nicer wood than pine or fir, I would have to look at the board feet and adjust the price.  If anyone has any recommendations on how to make them better let me know.  These literally sprung out of me being cheap, so no I am not an engineer just trying to be thrifty.  I would include the stand that the rod is attached to also, I use these for trout fishing.  They are way cheaper than the fancy metal ones that always ripped off my reels when I was in a hurry to set a hook.  I really appreciate that you guys are willing to support our FFA chapter. 

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:54 PM »
The large versions of those images:

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2010, 04:27 PM »
I would be willing to purchase your set up, including the stand, but less rod. I have a broken rod that I would LOVE to use again. I would be more than happy to still pay you the full price. Can you please post up the address we should mail our checks to, and also who the checks should be made out to? I live in Clinton (59825), so give me a guess at the shipping (unless you're passin through this winter), and the total cost?

Thank you very much
Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:49 PM »
would definitely take two........let us know how to get ahold of you.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.