The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: McGregor  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
McGregor
« on: Jan 27, 2009, 01:21 PM »
I have just finish my back log of work, and I'm gonna go fishing for perch here locally to be ready for the month long derby by the Scoreboard PUB.  Hicccck-up.  I'll also be doing Mcgregor this week at least two times and then next week as well.  I canceled the Willow Creek derby. :icefish:

wish you many hook-ups

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
Re: McGregor
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2009, 10:18 PM »
Hey,   Just got a phone call from my buddy (Snowman) in libby.  He wants to do the tourney @ Mc Gregor next week.  If the Ice holds I plan on heading up that way on Thursday PM.  Maybe we will have better luck meeting up there rather than CF.  Will make more definate plans about Tue or Wed.   Ding

Give a man a fish,  he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish,  he sits all day on the ice drinking beer.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2009, 11:53 PM »
Sounds great.  I'll be entering the Lake from the South side, I have a friend of a friend that lets me in that way.  But lets definitely meet up.  I most likely will camp at the Lake or on the Lake.  Let me know where you'll be.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2009, 05:57 PM »
I don't know for sure where we will be.  I think Snowman was planning on driving down each morning.  Depending on what I find out about the tourney I could take my trailer and spend a few more days up in that country.

Is there a web site about the tourney.  What is the entry fee and how does the month long thing work.  Has the fishing been any good? Perch, Trout, Walleye, Pike, other?

You got any extra time off after the weekend?   Ding

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2009, 06:32 PM »
The derby is for Lake Trout and Rainbow Trout.  Cost is $15.  Saturday 6am to 5pm Sunday 6am to 3pm.
Mike Lavoie @ 406-858-2253

I'll be at the South side of the Lake tomorrow morning trying to find the honey hole. 
wish you many hook-ups

Offline wallinuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those big winter females
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2009, 09:15 PM »
I'm sure you guys have caught more fish out of mcgregor than I have, but most of the fish I have caught out of there have come on a silver spoon snap jigging about 6 inches off bottom.  Wish I was coming up for the derby its a good time.  I have fished it four times in the years past on very thin ice.  Good luck

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2009, 07:04 PM »
I went Saturday, spent the night on the ice and came home before Super bowl.  Did not catch a thing.  Was very windy but not too cold.  I was fishing for Lakers and Rainbow.  Hope I can find them during the week.  I also bought my ticket for next weekends derby. Yiiiiiippppeeeee!
wish you many hook-ups

Offline wallinuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those big winter females
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2009, 09:49 PM »
Have any of you ever tried jiggin spoons on McGregor.  I guess I should mention they all came with no bait if we added meat they wouldn't touch it.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2009, 09:57 PM »
I jigged spoons yesterday afternoon and evening and a few today.  The fishing buddy kept marking fish about 4' off the bottom but they didn't hit the still bait or the spoons.  Tiger patterns, frog pattern, 5 of diamonds, etc.  Even tried twister tails.  I have forearm craps tonight from jigging all last night.   :'(
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2009, 08:03 AM »
Quantoson, 

Were you fishing Deep for Lakers?  Did you set any gear up shallow for Rainbows?  Did you try any Egg balls?  The lady who cleans my teeth fishes McGregor all the time and she uses small balls of salmon or Mackinaw eggs up shallow all year round and she has caught some hogs outta there...

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2009, 09:24 AM »
I drilled @ 120', 90' 80', 60' 20'.  I fished the 60' the most because the finder was marking fish there.  I have never tried small balls of salmom.  At what age are the salmon when they casterate them?  :roflmao:

Gotta find some Mackinaw eggs.  Sounds like that would work.  Email  me and let me know where to find the baits Neptune.  I'll be waiting.  or call me. Thanks for the tips.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:04 AM »
Out of the original 21 people that were to show up with us for the derby 13 made it including Dinga Ling and snowman, that actually makes 15..  I didn't catch anything at all during the derby.  Between 3am and 4am Saturday I caught 6 rainbow and that was all for the weekend.  4 of them were in the 1 lb size and the other 2 were about 2 1/2 lbs.  One guy in our group caught 8, and the first one that he hooked was a big-n.  But he did not ice that one.  Ding and snowman caught a few as well.  All others did as bad as me.  Ding came across the Lake twice to visit and we visited after the derby at the raffle.  Great time.

The weather was kinda rank on Friday but Saturday and Sunday were great.  A lot of sun.  Snowman showed me his homemade slammer.  WOW.  Now that's a slammer.  One group that fished close to us on Saturday morning used an electric ice auger and that thing went through the ice fast.  Ice was 20" thick.  We fished 5' of water to 110' deep.  No bites after the derby started for us.

The Big Mack was 7.1 lbs and I think the winning rainbow was about 5 lbs.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:19 AM »
How many millions of people were there Herb?

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:37 AM »
Quantoson, 

Were you fishing Deep for Lakers?  Did you set any gear up shallow for Rainbows?  Did you try any Egg balls?  The lady who cleans my teeth fishes McGregor all the time and she uses small balls of salmon or Mackinaw eggs up shallow all year round and she has caught some hogs outta there...
hope she dosent get her bait from you WHEN she cleans your teeth :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :whistle: :whistle:

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:21 AM »
I think the ticket numbers started at 3000, mine was 3097 and the highest number called in the raffle that I heard was 3993.  So I would guess there were almost 1000 people out there plus all the extra guests.  It was packed inside the lodge and outside for both raffles.  They never ran out of beer.

We used sucker meat and whole sucker for macs and anything from spoons to spawn sacks for the rainbow. 
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2009, 10:51 AM »
Quantoson,
It was great meeting you up there.  Had a good time.  Even though the catching sucked the fishing was fine and the beer was cold.

I stopped by Bitteroot Lake on the way home.  Talked to a guy that was catching the little salmon. (great for smoking) I decided to try it monday but the Marion Motel was closed for the winter.  Made it to Kalispell for the night.

Also drove by Francis on Monday. There were a few guys on ice and the temp was in the mid 40s.  I am pretty sure I'll be there for the tourney but am going to watch the temps and ice conditions.  Seems like the ice is going pretty fast around these parts.

Kinda looks like my Peck trip is melting away unless we get some more cold that is out as well.  Keep in touch.  Ding

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2009, 03:55 PM »
Yeah Ding it was a hoot on the lake this last weekend.  Don't forget to let me know when you come up into these parts again so I can arrange a trip to Bitterroot with you for some Kamloop fishing at Dave's place.  We can park at his house and enter from there, it will save us a long walk.

The Francis derby might be out for me as well since tomorrow I'll be at Duck Lake and Kipp Lake with Dave.  Dave said he may want to stop at another lake on the way home.  I'm always game for more fishing.  Saturday the Lake Mary Ronan Derby starts at 3am in the morning untill 2pm in the afternoon. 

I told Rosemarie that I wanted to take her to the hot springs on Saturday for Valentines Day.  And then I said by the way there is a derby in Lake Mary Ronan.  Let's hit that on the way.  She agreed before finding out it takes place at 3am in the morning. ;D ;)2 :clap:

WOOOOOOOHOOOO for me huh?
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2009, 04:06 PM »
Quanto,

The Kamaloop trip sounds good.  I'll let you know when Snowman and plan to get together up there next time.  Let me know how you do at Duck lake.  For the rest so much ice so little time.  Good luck my friend and tight lines.  Ding

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2009, 11:46 AM »
Hey Quantoson... Care to share any info on fishing Bitterroot for the Kams? I fished it on Wed. for 3 hours in the afternoon and got salmon up to 12 inches but I have never tried for the Kams. I am in Kalispell and fish Bitteroot and Mary Ronan mostly.

Thanks...

Offline lvrcfc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2009, 04:23 PM »
Hey Mt Hank. Been to Mary Ronan lately. How was the fishing and Ice. Would like to make the trip next week. Thanks

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2009, 08:34 AM »
MT HANK, I don't have any good tips for fishing the kamloops, other than fish and wait.  A friend of mine owns property on the lake and that's where I put in. He invites me every weekend or fishes with me in other places.  But if I do get any good info for kamloops, I'll post here.  Good Luck.
wish you many hook-ups

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.