Author Topic: In-fisherman article.......oxygen factor  (Read 1890 times)

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
In-fisherman article.......oxygen factor
« on: Oct 07, 2017, 07:59 AM »
Just picked up my in fisherman ice guide. Was reading the article about oxygen and fish behavior, was a very interesting article ands really makes sense as to where the fish are (depth) at different stages of the ice. Season. Worth checking out good article.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: In-fisherman article.......oxygen factor
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2017, 08:59 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.  Is the magazine the ice fishing guide or the tactical gear issue?  I didn't think the ice fishing guide was out yet.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2017, 09:44 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.  Is the magazine the ice fishing guide or the tactical gear issue?  I didn't think the ice fishing guide was out yet.

I think its in the Tactical on newsstands now ...I know with the winters we have been having in the past several years in my area...weed flats with limited snow pack and good light penetration kept weeds pretty viable for quite some time..making the migration to basin areas later then usual ...no need for predators or pan fish to leave the flats/weeds with good oxygen levels and prey fish will use the weeds as cover till significant decay takes place..I was scratching my head when fishing the basin last two seasons ...as catch rates seem to be down..couldn't get to the spot on the spot . 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210614921712526&set=pcb.749020691955261&type=3&theater
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2017, 09:57 AM »
Also comes with the Reeds catalog, nice.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2017, 10:19 AM »
Why waste money on these magazines full of advertising with little tidbits of info. When you could just buy the book like  1998 “In-Fisherman Ice Fishing Secrets” by Al Linder and Dave  Gentz where most of this good info originally comes from anyway.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2017, 10:25 AM »
Why waste money on these magazines full of advertising with little tidbits of info. When you could just buy the book like  1998 “In-Fisherman Ice Fishing Secrets” by Al Linder and Dave  Gentz where most of this good info originally comes from anyway.
I buy them for the ads. Might get to the articles on a day  that I can’t get on the ice due to other obligations. A lot of times, some of those articles just piss me off, because they are written by Rich egotistical guys who have never had a fishing rod in their hand without a camera in their face. Some of them are written in a condescending manner in my opinion. Especially one guy in particular who is so worried about his fishing spots being found out by Others. I agree with you on just buying a book or two. That book you mentioned is a good one and does contain all the  information one will ever need to get started. The guys that wrote it are actually pretty good.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2017, 12:15 PM »
I re-read parts of that book every year just as a refresher. I also like the old infisherman species specific books like Crappie Wisdom (1985) and Walleye Wisdom (1994) and read the cold water / ice fishing sections every year. Loaded with great information. Magazine articles are just teasers and new magic bait or guide advertisements.

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2017, 03:05 PM »
Where can one get this book?

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2017, 03:24 PM »
I read the article and found it interesting as well.  Perhaps a silly idea but the thought crossed my mind wondering what you happen if, during late ice (low oxygen), you would take an aerator on the ice with enough tube to reach the bottom and sink the tube with "filter stone" to the bottom an aerate the area... would it attract fish? 
Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2017, 09:12 AM »
Is Fishing Facts around anymore? I used be addicted to that magazine in my teens and 20's.

Before I became a taxidermist I used to find it cool to see the fish mounts they occasionally showed of the guy that did the artwork for the magazine. I think his last name was Willey Miller?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2017, 10:55 AM »
Sadly, fishing facts is no longer with us.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2017, 09:11 AM »
You can find the old infisherman books on Amazon fairly cheap. The new infisherman stuff is different since Al Linder sold out. For dvd's I would check out the Linder's Angling Edge DVD's https://anglingedgestore.com/collections/walleye-dvds

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2017, 10:19 AM »
I re-read parts of that book every year just as a refresher. I also like the old infisherman species specific books like Crappie Wisdom (1985) and Walleye Wisdom (1994) and read the cold water / ice fishing sections every year. Loaded with great information. Magazine articles are just teasers and new magic bait or guide advertisements.

I picked up both of those books about a month ago.  Haven't had a chance to open them yet but plan to soon!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #14 on: Oct 10, 2017, 03:18 PM »
Is Fishing Facts around anymore? I used be addicted to that magazine in my teens and 20's.

Before I became a taxidermist I used to find it cool to see the fish mounts they occasionally showed of the guy that did the artwork for the magazine. I think his last name was Willey Miller?

FF was made about 1/2 mile from where I work, it's now a Cousin's Subs corporate office. Wiley Miller was an artist for them, he still does some work, but for the most part, he's retired up in Boulder Junction, WI. I have a pair of 24" walleyes that Wiley did the mount for.  He was quite the artist at that as well.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2017, 06:18 PM »
I used to have big stack of FF magazines from the 1970’s and 1980’s I wish I would have saved them. I think when I moved one time I threw them all in the trash. :(

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2017, 11:19 AM »
I read the article and found it interesting as well.  Perhaps a silly idea but the thought crossed my mind wondering what you happen if, during late ice (low oxygen), you would take an aerator on the ice with enough tube to reach the bottom and sink the tube with "filter stone" to the bottom an aerate the area... would it attract fish?

I use bottom diffusers in my fish rearing ponds in winter to keep some water open and prevent low oxygen conditions. The rising air creates moving water vertically which can actually open the ice and keep it open. This not only allows oxygen to diffuse across the open water it allows sunlight in to keep the macrophytes (weeds) and algae from dying.

The downside is you don't want to fish to close to it as the ice is thinner.

The interesting thing is I set the diffuser on the bottom in about 1/3 the maximum depth of my pond. It's not a good idea to put it in the deepest water as it chills the slightly warmer deeper water the fish hang out in. They prefer the ~ 39 F. water. If you chill it lower than that they can get stressed which can set them up for fungal infections.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.