Author Topic: RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. OVERLOAD PROTECTION TEST  (Read 75702 times)

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: RIGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. INITIAL ON ICE REVIEW.
« Reply #60 on: Dec 15, 2018, 07:14 PM »
I think he is using 5amp battery and lighter auger.   Most of difference is in the auger.   You want the Cadillac or Prius?

Yah a 6" mora and a 5ah BATT. Just got home from carrying it in my right hand for a total of 5 miles over hill and dale.

I'd much rather carry a Prius! ;D

That pikeman setup looks the bomb!  The right tool for the job at hand-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
Just for fun I timed driling a hole tonight while out fishing. 7" strikemaster lazer hand anger attached to my Rigid Octane. 11" of ice in 3.22 seconds.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Sounds about right. Didn’t measure with my Nils. There was a guy setting up about 100 yds from me this weekend, and I cut 3 holes in the time he cut one with a Jiffy Model 30. 
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
My Rigid octane drill and battery showed up Saturday but the adapter didn't until today so first chance to try.  I convinced myself I needed this only because the lifetime warranty I would use for household use and it would replace my 20 year riobyi and 6 batteries that no longer hold a charge for beans.  Thoughts on drill with battery - very heavy for household use, you would be hard pressed to use this all day above your head on a project.

Adapter - initially I looked for the ht enterprises adapter as a choice to pair with my very lightly used 8" fin bore but all on back order and some poor reviews about 3/8" bit snapping.  Ended up with the Kovac adapter.  Put it on today, tremendous amount of slop at connection, enough so that I will look to shim somehow, even if only with a few wraps of electrical tape.

Assembled - took it on the pond and drilled 5 holes to try through 6-7"of good hard ice.  Lowest speed setting, on drill, highest torque.  Jumps around pretty good until you get it started as this style of bit has no center point and I believe what you guys all call shaver blades, not rippers.  Once started, it eats ice but binds pretty severely as you get ready to break through.  You definitely want it propped against your leg and have the extension handle attached in my opinion.  It even cracked the plastic part of the wingnut that goes through kovac adapter and bit.  I have a 14 year old son and feel more comfortable with him using the 10" jiffy with ripper blade than this accordingly.  Other style bits like the nils may not experience as much of a grab, not sure.

Overall weight - about 15 pounds, certainly lighter than a 10" jiffy but not a "lightweight" option if that makes sense.

Final - Initially, I can only give it a "C", it might grow on me or I might send it back.  Going to give it a fair test this weekend.  I'll update.

That's just my honest, out of the gate assessment.  Good luck in your decisions on this product and application.  If you are only looking at this product as dedicated to ice fishing paired with the right bit, you might enjoy.  Piker's result on battery life thus far seems outstanding also. :tipup:

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
You might want to get a smaller battery for around the house. I have the older Drill with 4 ah batteries and it is good for both.
<===Lefty===

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You might want to get a smaller battery for around the house. I have the older Drill with 4 ah batteries and it is good for both.

Or go to the gym. ;D

Just viewed the purchase as a "do everything" option without additional expense, might have been my mistake.  I'll give it a fair shake this weekend.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I've been guilty of preaching that you need a Clam plate to handle either the Ridgid 1300 in/lbs or the Milwaukee Fuel. I've had so much wobble this year with the Clam plate

spinning a 7" Nero that I just went back to basics for an outing this morning. Rock hard 12" of Elevenmile ice. Had the Ridgid attached to the 7" Nero through a Bass Pro adaptor

that's basically a knockoff of a Kovac adaptor. It was sloppy going together but when I screwed the Allen bolt down, it snugged up tight. On the ice it chewed the holes at about

3"/second. The Ridgid extension arm was plenty stout enough to brace against my leg so no sprained wrists. The Clam plate is superfluous and in fact I believe the combination of

the Ridgid drill and Clam plate was the sole source of all that wobble. I'm sticking with this setup and saving my Fuel for projects around the shop. Anybody need a Clam plate?
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
My Rigid octane drill and battery showed up Saturday but the adapter didn't until today so first chance to try.  I convinced myself I needed this only because the lifetime warranty I would use for household use and it would replace my 20 year riobyi and 6 batteries that no longer hold a charge for beans.  Thoughts on drill with battery - very heavy for household use, you would be hard pressed to use this all day above your head on a project.

Adapter - initially I looked for the ht enterprises adapter as a choice to pair with my very lightly used 8" fin bore but all on back order and some poor reviews about 3/8" bit snapping.  Ended up with the Kovac adapter.  Put it on today, tremendous amount of slop at connection, enough so that I will look to shim somehow, even if only with a few wraps of electrical tape.

Assembled - took it on the pond and drilled 5 holes to try through 6-7"of good hard ice.  Lowest speed setting, on drill, highest torque.  Jumps around pretty good until you get it started as this style of bit has no center point and I believe what you guys all call shaver blades, not rippers.  Once started, it eats ice but binds pretty severely as you get ready to break through.  You definitely want it propped against your leg and have the extension handle attached in my opinion.  It even cracked the plastic part of the wingnut that goes through kovac adapter and bit.  I have a 14 year old son and feel more comfortable with him using the 10" jiffy with ripper blade than this accordingly.  Other style bits like the nils may not experience as much of a grab, not sure.

Overall weight - about 15 pounds, certainly lighter than a 10" jiffy but not a "lightweight" option if that makes sense.

Final - Initially, I can only give it a "C", it might grow on me or I might send it back.  Going to give it a fair test this weekend.  I'll update.

That's just my honest, out of the gate assessment.  Good luck in your decisions on this product and application.  If you are only looking at this product as dedicated to ice fishing paired with the right bit, you might enjoy.  Piker's result on battery life thus far seems outstanding also. :tipup:
Great review of your set up. I could definitely see where shaver blades could be problematic. I see Octane drill excelling with the Nils and K-drill. I had zero grab at the bottom of the hole using my 8” Nils. Thanks for sharing your findings.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Great review of your set up. I could definitely see where shaver blades could be problematic. I see Octane drill excelling with the Nils and K-drill. I had zero grab at the bottom of the hole using my 8” Nils. Thanks for sharing your findings.

I saw that in your video.  The nils bit is so much longer than the fin bore bit I think its a better application for that reason also.   

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
gamefisher, you can use smaller/lighter batteries like your used to if that is what you would like for over head work. i have 2 amp and 4 amp batteries that work on it and any other ridgid power tool. just be sure to buy them in a kit to receive the lsa.

if you have wobble in your set up they will walk and cut poorly. the wobble will be between the auger and adapter. some can remove it by tightening the screw. depending on the adapter you may not be able to remove the wobble like stinkyfingers had with his initial set up.
the blades on certain brands seem to do so more than others. the mora style that curve outwards seem to like to walk where as the lazer blades that curve inwards don't seem to have that problem, but do have the break thru catching issues because of the cut rate. the nero uses the outward curve to them so i am not surprised to hear about them walking. if it wobbles all of the way thru the cut then one blade is working harder than the other because one blade is touching before the other one can.

the top of the line fuel drill is 4 ounces less than this drill with out battery of any kind. a large share of the weight you have is from the battery size which is fine for the application on ice. could you imagine running it with a 12 amp battery over head.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #70 on: Dec 18, 2018, 08:26 PM »
Thanks!

Well done.  I have 2 8" nils flights sitting collecting dust and one more connected to the Tanaka still.  Guess I know what to do next!

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Dec 19, 2018, 06:33 AM »
Well done.  I have 2 8" nils flights sitting collecting dust and one more connected to the Tanaka still.  Guess I know what to do next!
LOL. This drill parred with a NILS is a BEAST. Let us know how you like it.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #72 on: Dec 22, 2018, 11:33 AM »
Hey stinky I run a new ridged-kovac-clam extension-Nero auger and there is little to no wobble. That is only true on my first hole and then I feel a little bit of looseness. It is the wing nut connecting my clam extension to the kovac. It loosens by just the slightest bit from bung hole tight and creates a little wobble. I intend to replace the wing nut with an Allen bolt that should have my system rock solid.

i don't see that anyone answered your question about the kovac icemaster 2 looseness. mine has the same looseness also. it is designed too small so there is for sure a lot of slop where it connects to either an extension or auger. it is also too short. they really need to make it bigger and longer, but it maybe on purpose for other augers so they should offer a shim for it. if you take the wing nut off and check clearance of it you will find the issues.

the good thing is the slop doesn't make it wobble, it's just loose on the adapter is all. i had the wobble issue trying to get away from the looseness issue of the icemaster while trying the clam plate. it has way too much wobble. so mine is being returned or maybe sell it in the for sale board because of the trigger mod is done so someone could use it as is instead of me ripping it apart to return it and i am going back to the icemaster. i do like the bungee cord system is uses anyway to hold shopping bags on my drill.
they need to make the kovac icemaster 3.

i didn't like having to modify the trigger handle of the plate or trying to figure out how i wanted to protect my drill and battery with out adding a plastic box over it or the amount of weight and the foot print size and especially the wobble.
 the weight of it would make certain augers such as lazer, which i use, bind more on break thru with all of the additional weight and make it harder on your back trying to hold it up during that time for each hole you cut and i cut a lot of holes on some days.

UPDATE:
plate is for sale on the for sale board to give a local a chance to pick it up with the trigger mod done. it will be up for a short time and then back to dicks sports with free return shipping.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=363435.0

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Searching for balance and precision from any ice auger rig is a lost cause starting with any bit made today. They are all made for the lower RPM range. Non are balanced, I think many of the wobbles are starting to show up as RPMs are increasing. If you were to try to spin any ice auger bit at 25,000 RPMs things might self destruct. Some guy's setups are also getting lucky in that, each component happened to be manufactured correct with everything landing straight, centered and balanced unfortunately that's almost a fluke..

It's only going to work and operate so perfect.

All we need is a hole in the ice, everything else is frosting..

<°)))>{

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
Anecdotes aside, give me the math. It'd be a hoot if one of the hundreds of engineers out there would map the optimal torque/rpm ranges for each hand auger. That info alone might change the way folks look at what equipment to buy. 

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Anecdotes aside, give me the math. It'd be a hoot if one of the hundreds of engineers out there would map the optimal torque/rpm ranges for each hand auger. That info alone might change the way folks look at what equipment to buy.

Lol, I can tell you the optimal speeds and feeds for "ice' is whatever your drill and arm can handle  ;D

I've seen some funny videos of people spinning on top of their augers once they jam in the ice.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
UPDATE! Drilled another 30 holes through 12” of ice. Totaling +/- 100-110 holes without charging. Battery still on 1/2 charge. Still no complaints!

Offline Matt76cmich

• IceShanty Rookie
UPDATE! Drilled another 30 holes through 12” of ice. Totaling +/- 100-110 holes without charging. Battery still on 1/2 charge. Still no complaints!

That's awesome! Going to try and get out here soon and give things a go. Ice is finally coming back after the warm up we had.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
That's awesome! Going to try and get out here soon and give things a go. Ice is finally coming back after the warm up we had.

Wow!!! how many holes have you drilled though 12" of ice on half a battery total now???

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wow!!! how many holes have you drilled though 12" of ice on half a battery total now???
First day: +\- 50 holes in 7-8” of ice.
Second day: +\- 30 holes through 10” of ice.
Third day/today: +\-30 holes in 12” of ice.
Still at 50%

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
If you have a smart phone you can download the ridged battery app and find out the exact percentage of your battery pike fisherman!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
First day: +\- 50 holes in 7-8” of ice.
Second day: +\- 30 holes through 10” of ice.
Third day/today: +\-30 holes in 12” of ice.
Still at 50%
Well done!!! I am curious when you will need to change/recharge your first battery..... the way its going could be some time in February... tight lines!!!

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well done!!! I am curious when you will need to change/recharge your first battery..... the way its going could be some time in February... tight lines!!!
I’m running it till it dies. Hoping to get another 2 outing with it.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If you have a smart phone you can download the ridged battery app and find out the exact percentage of your battery pike fisherman!
Interesting. I’ll have to figure that out

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
I'll post what I've done with my fuel setup as a comparison.

1200 fuel 5AH batt /clamplate/Mora.  I have both 6" and 8" flytes.

Been using the 8" a couple times. First time thru 10" of clear hard ice at -11F got 30 holes.

Next time was 14" of clear hard ice at 20F got like 25 holes.

Drilled easily 100 holes with the 6" thru 5" of soft ice with only 1 bar used on the batt. ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'll post what I've done with my fuel setup as a comparison.

1200 fuel 5AH batt /clamplate/Mora.  I have both 6" and 8" flytes.

Been using the 8" a couple times. First time thru 10" of clear hard ice at -11F got 30 holes.

Next time was 14" of clear hard ice at 20F got like 25 holes.

Drilled easily 100 holes with the 6" thru 5" of soft ice with only 1 bar used on the batt. ;D

And I drilled 267 8" holes through 29" if hard clear ice when it was -20 with a wind chill of -49 with my 20v craftsman and 2 ah battery.  See what I did there?  All joking aside, it looks like the Ridgid is just as good as the fuels but for way, way cheaper. At least for now.

Offline Matt76cmich

• IceShanty Rookie
Interesting. I’ll have to figure that out

I never would've thought I would be checking on a cordless drill battery on my phone by bluetooth,  but here I am doing it right now lol.  Let's you know how long it will take to charge it, let's you lock it if its stolen, and has a gps in it. I just turned 37 and the technology these days still amaze these days lol

Offline Matt76cmich

• IceShanty Rookie
Another screen shot

Offline Miles59

• IceShanty Rookie
I don’t know if this is big news, but here is a link for special purchase price at Home Depot. You buy the 9.0 Ah battery and your choice of bare tool.  You can get the Octane drill and 9 Ah batterytogether, and it comes out to $181 with tax and shipping. I was at the store and there are no deals li’e this one.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12004847-ridgid-9-0ah-hyper-octane-starter-kit-with-free-bare-tool-of-choice

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I don’t know if this is big news, but here is a link for special purchase price at Home Depot. You buy the 9.0 Ah battery and your choice of bare tool.  You can get the Octane drill and 9 Ah batterytogether, and it comes out to $181 with tax and shipping. I was at the store and there are no deals li’e this one.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12004847-ridgid-9-0ah-hyper-octane-starter-kit-with-free-bare-tool-of-choice

Someone already posted this, but it's good to keep reminding people.  Wicked good deal! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.