Author Topic: RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. OVERLOAD PROTECTION TEST  (Read 75873 times)

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
oh man.i havent got to use mine yet but thats the exact reason I bought the clam plate.
Met dr speckler today! Seen it in action. That baby rips! Did you need extra to attach to auger? Or clam plate only.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
I'm nowhere near a lsa or even a home depot. Talked to home depot and they are going to send me a whole new drill when they come in stock and ill ship mine back. I took the handle apart and it seems like it needs more threads on the bolt to be able to tighten it down more. Hopefully the new one solves my problems because I love the set up
good call. 90 day hassle free returns. glad to see them work with you long distance.
what's a zip code near you?

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
The more I use mine, the more I enjoy and am impressed.   Probably up to 50 holes now, still at 2 bars.  Have been leaving it sitting out in cold purposely and we've had some cold days.  As far as the auxiliary handle. I have just gotten nto the habit of making sure its "snub" everytime I grab it, no problems. It's been great for walking trips, we'll see what it does when ice gets thick.
Are we up to a B rating yet??
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
I have the same drill or I will have the same drill its in route and should be here by Jan. 2, it will be used with my 8"Mora Strikemaster and a 16" extension I'll use if the ice gets thick, I had originally bought the smaller less powerful Ridgid (750 in lbs) but after seeing this review on You Tube I brought it back then took his advice and ordered the 9Ah Hyper Octane battery & charger for 169.00 and was able to get the Ridgid R8611506B...  FREE!!  I also bought it because of the lifetime warranty on the drill & battery was a huge reason to buy the more powerful set up. Funny thing is after all is said and done I actually spent 5.28 less getting the better unit.   ;D

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Met dr speckler today! Seen it in action. That baby rips! Did you need extra to attach to auger? Or clam plate only.
you can run just the clam plate and mora but its  short.i had  the extension on mine so I wasn't bent over drilling but its not needed.

Offline cavecat

• IceShanty Rookie
Is this unit over kill for a 6" Nils hand auger?

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Are we up to a B rating yet??

Yes, I think so.  Battery life and longevity is what has impressed  me most.  So far, i have found myself taking alot more old school simple trips with this unit, packbasket, blue tarp, bait, and the ridgid, not even a jet sled, walk out and fish.  Reminds me of being a kid again, except we had to use a dull chisel.😁 We'll see what it does through 18" before the rank goes any higher.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was just thinking. If it's snowing blowing sleet mist rain, do you bring drill in or cover it? That to me would be a downfall, with gas auger I can just leave it out. Not going because of weather is not a option lol

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
I was just thinking. If it's snowing blowing sleet mist rain, do you bring drill in or cover it? That to me would be a downfall, with gas auger I can just leave it out

I cover things up.  Iced up zippers...well.  Iced up reel spools...pain.  Buddy heater...don't even get me started.  Gas auger...last thing I need is ice going into the intake or snow plugging up the exhaust.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
i use thick shopping bags from menards and use 2 to 3 inside each other. i use one handle and make a bunch of twists in it and slip it over the chuck end of the drill and then put the rest of the drill and battery inside the bag and then twist the remaining handle a bunch of times and slip that over the chuck. twisting the bags handles makes the loop small. the only thing left out of it is the chuck and aux handle they get sprayed with gibbs. amazon has it. once dry the metal is water proof. then i attach this to the drill adapter. the drills controls are easy to feel and use in them.

i use the kovak icemaster 2 adapter and it all works great. it woulldn't work so well on a plate. the bungee strap also holds the bag onto the heel of the drill so if you didn't twist the bag handles tight enough the bungee will keep it on and tight.
on the plate you'd have to remove the c bolt in order to remove the bag to be able to swap/charge batteries. with the icemaster it is easier (no added bulk to foot print) to keep in the flip over or bucket during rain events if i wanted to protect it even more. with this system only the drill is what you have after disconnecting the adapter. the adapter stays on the auger and after loosening the chuck, you just slip the bungee off the drill heel. if you want to change battery leave the bungee on it. just remove the last bag handle from chuck and slip the back part way back.

i use my auger as an ice anchor in high wind days by drilling behind where i want to fish and make an angled hole and leave the auger in it and throw the rope over it and onto the ice.
most days i leave it lying across my flip over and some days i leave it standing in a partial hole with my parka hanging on it or alone. i can leave it in the elements with this bag system i use.

octane with 9amp.snug as a bug.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Is this unit over kill for a 6" Nils hand auger?

I would say yes, but it’s also the best value bar none for a drill auger powerhead.  If I wasn’t already set up with Milwaukee tools and batteries, I’d be all over this deal.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yes, I think so.  Battery life and longevity is what has impressed  me most.  So far, i have found myself taking alot more old school simple trips with this unit, packbasket, blue tarp, bait, and the ridgid, not even a jet sled, walk out and fish.  Reminds me of being a kid again, except we had to use a dull chisel.😁 We'll see what it does through 18" before the rank goes any higher.
Glad to see your liking it so far.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I was just thinking. If it's snowing blowing sleet mist rain, do you bring drill in or cover it? That to me would be a downfall, with gas auger I can just leave it out. Not going because of weather is not a option lol
I carry a thick plastic bag with me just in case

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Battery Update: Drilled another 20 holes yesterday. Battery dropped to 1/4. Still original charge.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
ALRIGHT ...

Went and picked up a clam plate today.  Ridgid drill hasnt arrived yet so I set it up with a 20v craftsman to see how it spun.  My 6" Ion fits pretty well on the shaft without any kind of adapter. 

Auger spins fairly true, with no noticeable wobble at all.  I DO however feel the "slop" when I wiggle the plates handles up and down.  This seems to be the bearings, and has no affect on the actual turning of the auger.  The metal piece that goes through the bearing has a pretty nice slip fit on mine.  Diameter wise I would bet the OD/ID variations are well within tolerances. I'm tempted to pull the bearing housing apart to see exactly where the play is coming from, but like I said, the handle wobble has no affect on the auger spinning.  That being said, sounds like the issue everyone is having has to do with their extensions. Even my Ion extension causes a little wobble. 

Offline fullfan

• IceShanty Rookie
Well I bit, picked up the drill for 79.00 and the battery is being shipped . Jut ordered the 8" drill from Acme for 229.00. All I need now is some ice.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
it's too good of a deal for anyone to pass up on, even if they don't need it. you can pick other free tool choices. if you have a smart phone grab their app and you'll have bluetooth options for the battery that are nice.
don't forget to register your new tools right away and they have a 90 hassle free return policy if any thing happens to it or you don't like it. check your aux handle thru out the day that it is where it needs to be and tight.
229 for the auger sounds like the eskimo pistol or k-drill.

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
it's too good of a deal for anyone to pass up on, even if they don't need it. you can pick other free tool choices. if you have a smart phone grab their app and you'll have bluetooth options for the battery that are nice.
don't forget to register your new tools right away and they have a 90 hassle free return policy if any thing happens to it or you don't like it. check your aux handle thru out the day that it is where it needs to be and tight.
229 for the auger sounds like the eskimo pistol or k-drill.

So true.  I'm seriously thinking about getting another, and either keeping just the battery, or getting the 1/2 impact wrench for working on the car.  Have timing belts to do soon...
Tight lines!

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
 3300, I got in on that deal a while ago.  Already had the Milwaukee 2704 but for $169 for 9amp hr battery, charger, and Ridgid Octane it was too good to pass up.  Been doing all my on ice Nils testing this winter with the Ridgid chucked up to a Kovac adapter.  I don't use the handle and feel if you the drill properly you don't want it.  Hold with your right hand with finger on trigger while handle braced against you forearm. Left palm against the motor.  The torque is easily held back with that technique.  I'd like to add for safety sake, just like your firearm, get used to selecting the off switch(safety) after drilling a hole. You don't want that blade spinning when you don't want it spinning.
Definitely the best Drill Deal this year.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
glad to hear you were able to get one and like using it frank. it is a great deal for sure.
the deal is on thru 02.04.19. home depot sold out online and only some stores have stock last i heard until they get more in stock. the pricing has shifted some since release date. the battery/charger was 199$ and the drill was 139$. now the drill is 149$ and the battery/charger is 169$. interesting to see the fluctuation for what ever the reason is. keep an eye on it for price matching for 90 days. they will credit you if they keep lowering the system and you call it in.

i only use lazer's (friend owns a shop and sells wholesale to me and that's all he carries) and they will throw the handle towards you if your right handed, so i hold it close to my person so i can keep it from spinning too far around. i did try it a few times with out the aux. handle and i wasn't comfortable with out it, just a habit probably cutting on job sites and such.

i haven't had ice so all i get to do is read about others who have ice for now. i do like the improved chuck with the new ratcheting/positive locking system it uses over all of their older versions. i'm thinking it will hold on much better to the kovac adapter.

the octane/nils is very impressive to see on the youtube the op posted especially with no spikes on his boots. very smooth cutting all of the way thru.

great advice on the lock position so there are no accidents. i automatically install the cap after cutting or leave it standing in ice. i have things get cut with out knowing they got until much later realizing only one thing can cut like that. there was a story recently here about an angler having his drill turn on and destroying his sonar and other items in his sled, so it does happen.

Offline Matt76cmich

• IceShanty Rookie
Finally got out on the ice this past weekend.  Punched about 60 holes give or take with the Rigid Octane Nils 8" convertible combo and wish I had tried this a long time ago. Kinda the same feeling as the first time I used my deer cart vs just dragging lol.   Can't wait to get back on the ice,  just hope mother nature quits messing with us here in mid michigan.  Rained hard from about 11am to 9:30pm.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
 good job on the vid. I use an eskimo gas 8 in. and am very happy with it, but have long thought about early and late ice going electric, I have a 5 in. lazer that I think would rock with that drill. good job on your vid

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
  I'd like to add for safety sake, just like your firearm, get used to selecting the off switch(safety) after drilling a hole. You don't want that blade spinning when you don't want it spinning.
This is great advice. Years ago I cut myself pretty good on my knee cause the auger spun when I didn’t want it to. I wasn’t being careless it was an unfortunate accident. I think I was trying to remove the auger from the chuck on the drill. My finger accidentally hit the trigger. I ended up with about an inch long cut that was probably 1/16-1/8” deep. Needed a stitch to close it up.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
ordered one this morning thanks guys!!!!!
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Finally got out on the ice this past weekend.  Punched about 60 holes give or take with the Rigid Octane Nils 8" convertible combo and wish I had tried this a long time ago. Kinda the same feeling as the first time I used my deer cart vs just dragging lol.   Can't wait to get back on the ice,  just hope mother nature quits messing with us here in mid michigan.  Rained hard from about 11am to 9:30pm.
Same here. I put off getting a drill unit for way too long. Nothing bu good things to say about mine.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
good job on the vid. I use an eskimo gas 8 in. and am very happy with it, but have long thought about early and late ice going electric, I have a 5 in. lazer that I think would rock with that drill. good job on your vid
Thanks

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  I'd like to add for safety sake, just like your firearm, get used to selecting the off switch(safety) after drilling a hole. You don't want that blade spinning when you don't want it spinning.
Where if this off switch you speak of? It at home right now. Are you talking about the trigger lock between forward/reverse?

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
 I've sort of skipped around this thread. I have read a few posts about using just the drill(no clam adapter) and have read about the auger "grabbing" on punch through. My question is does this Rigid drill have an adjustable clutch(guessing yes) and wouldn't that "slip" preventing the grab?.... Sorry if asked before and I missed it.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
I've sort of skipped around this thread. I have read a few posts about using just the drill(no clam adapter) and have read about the auger "grabbing" on punch through. My question is does this Rigid drill have an adjustable clutch(guessing yes) and wouldn't that "slip" preventing the grab?.... Sorry if asked before and I missed it.
have to run in drill mode.no clutch in that mode.clutch works in screw/hammer drill mode.

Offline Big Sky

• IceShanty Rookie
Count me in as another new owner.

Just bought today in a store in Menomonee Falls, Wi.  HD Online said there were 3 in stock in case anyone near there is looking to buy.  I had to order the battery and have it ship to my house.

I did a lot of reading on this, but not 100% sure if you guys are using the stock chuck or adding an extension. Suppose it depends on the auger, but I will be using my lazer 6” to start. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.