Author Topic: Nils Master Cold Start  (Read 5668 times)

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Nils Master Cold Start
« Reply #30 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:09 PM »
I have only ran non ethanol fuel through this and if my carb is getting gunked up after not even 2 tanks of non ethanol mix how tedious is this engine and carb?  There is no cleaner fuel I can get and my carb should not be gunked up.  It was brand new.  The only other option I have it to buy the sealed containers of VP small engine fuels.  And like bee said there is no high and low adjustment screws only idle.  I can not for the life of me find any at least.  Gonna try the Champion EZ start plug with 90:1 mix and see if anything changes.  If not I may need to bring to small engine shop and see what they recommend or talk to Tanaka again.  I love the auger but I'm not gonna settle for 20 plus pulls to start it when its below zero because we see a lot of that weather up here in dead of winter.
I have several of these motors and never a problem. Better keep talking to the Tanaka folks.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:11 PM »
well that sux if you have problems with the jet settings huh

Just because its factory set doesn't mean its out of adjustment it simply means its dirty, bad fuel lines or primer bulb, plugged air vent in fuel cap or carb is in need of rebuilding. The only way the factory settings can be screwed up is if you tried to drill the journals out.  This past summer I rebuilt dozens of carbs on any 2 stroke engine you can think of and its all due to Ethanol fuels. To be honest it really doesn't even need to be 2 stroke to get effects of ethanol fuel. The Ethanol reacts with any rubber or neoprene gasket, Diaphram and seals along with the tip of the needle I keep bringing up. It swells this stuff and well thing gum up and jam and even the fuel lines rot right off the machine. Ethanol has a shelf life of like 2 weeks max with one week being about the tops. In storage the Ethanol basically absorbs moisture from the air and it becomes mixed in the gas and unlike Isopropyl it does not burn.  Add water to aluminum from the housings of the carbs and it will corrode. Learn to stay away from this crap rebuild the carb and clean and scrub it before reassemble and like I say get extra rebuild kits for that carb.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #32 on: Jan 02, 2014, 01:02 PM »
i used to rebuild about 50 carbs a year, back when cars/trucks used them like quadra-jets, holly, fo-mo-cos and caters.. now only a few times a year or just replace them because these tanka/warblos carbs are so cheap to start off with. cheap is why they didn't add the screws for us to adjust to accommodate for colder/warmer weather or altitudes or any other issues. even the factory told him to bring it inside to warm it up first in their response to his question. buy an ice auger and use it where its warm. they also told him to take it to an authorized mechanic to have it adjusted. why would the manufacturer tell him that, if it can't be adjusted? thats when i told him how to to adjust jets. i have no idea about what niles uses for carb/engine like i said, but i know engines and carbs.

the reason to have the adjustments are for the issues we run into by using gas like cold or warm or altitude. so better carbs have them and some are limiting the travel with limiter caps. so why rebuild/replace if it can be adjusted.

my boat motor has an external rich/lean knob right on the front of it and i have to use it if i want to get home. the motor likes rich for cold starts (first pull of the day) and leaner for warmer starts

how does the factory know what altitude it will be used in when they set it. probably they don't and its set for their altitude. as you know higher altitude use less fuel/leaner adjustments because the air is thinner. if we are on water we are closer to sea level and need more fuel/richer adjustments. so there is no adjustment for altitudes on it. that sux. would be good to know what their altitude is and what the op's is to see if thats an issue for him

i would be upset if i bought some thing that didn't have the jets to adjust and if it wasn't running right to the point a had to replace it, it would be replaced with one that does

thanks for the tips on bad by-products added to our gas. that stuff is a major problem. i have been hearing what happens if you let small engines sit with it in them and not shake them up hard too. its blowing them up.

sea foam is still a must have in 2 cycle engines, because any thing else will wash the oil from the parts its trying to protect

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 02, 2014, 01:28 PM »
I have only ran non ethanol fuel through this and if my carb is getting gunked up after not even 2 tanks of non ethanol mix how tedious is this engine and carb?  There is no cleaner fuel I can get and my carb should not be gunked up.  It was brand new.  The only other option I have it to buy the sealed containers of VP small engine fuels.  And like bee said there is no high and low adjustment screws only idle.  I can not for the life of me find any at least.  Gonna try the Champion EZ start plug with 90:1 mix and see if anything changes.  If not I may need to bring to small engine shop and see what they recommend or talk to Tanaka again.  I love the auger but I'm not gonna settle for 20 plus pulls to start it when its below zero because we see a lot of that weather up here in dead of winter.
[/quote
I agree with you that this is not a fuel or carb issue. If anything I think it is out of adjustment.  Read the manual and adjust the idler screw accordingly and do what i had suggested previously.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 02, 2014, 02:28 PM »
Check your pm shidso. :tipup:

Offline WALLEYE44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 03, 2014, 12:06 AM »
i work on all sorts of things, engines since 1975.
heres what i would do if it were mine.
-first dump out all of the fuel into some thing clear like glass and check it a few hours later for water. this is the number one problem with small engines. they have smaller gas tanks and so are easier to contaminate with it. it's probably your problem too.

-second, find all of the adjustment screws and a piece of paper. turn each one in until it stops, (make sure you do not use high force when doing it or you can ruin the needle by making an impression ring into the metal point of the needle). use the 12 o'clock position to count at when it passes 12 o'clock and count how many times it took to run it to bottom. example, if it was pointing at 9 o'clock/3 o'clock then count it as 9 o'clock and watch for it to be straight up and count the straight up as 12 o'clock. say it passed 12 o'clock two times. so that means the needle was two and one quarter turns when you started. so on paper you write 2 and one quarter turns for the jet you just adjusted. now return it to where you found it

-do this to each screw/needle you find.
i count in half turns when counting and make stops at 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock so i don't get confuse and say it out loud.

most manufactures mark the engine cover so the mechanic knows which screw/needle does what.  so you might find markings like (L) for low speed fuel/air mixture and (F or H) for fast/high speed fuel/air mixture.
what you are wanting to do is increase the fuel in the (L) as that is the fuel/air mixture screw for low or no throttle and that is the one you need to give more fuel thru.

-so turn it out 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn area and try another couple pulls. you will find what it wants. just don't let it get warm at all while messing with it. if it does, then stop and wait until lits ice cold again.

the reason you bottom out and return each screw and write it down is for when you forget what the factory had on them, so you can reset it all.

you can't mess up if you do what i said, so do not be afraid at all.
oh, after doing all of this check that glass bowl of fuel and look into the bottom of it for a weird looking liquid. that is water and is heavier than gas so its on the bottom. if you see any. get rid of all of your gas and allow the gas tank you fill at the pumps to air out or buy a new one. thats how most get water in their tanks.
i use sea foam on every thing even 2 cycle. it is meant for it. get some and use it to keep water out and engine cleaner. put it in your big gas cans. they condensate too much to not get water in them.

those who said the primer does not put gas into the engine are correct. it only gets gas to the carb. so you are not wasting pull starts trying to do the same thing with vacume pulling gas to the carb.

engines are funny and they want it their way or the hard way. try different choke settings and as one member said, try giving it partial throttle to get even more fuel/air coming into it in the first place.

i like stihl engines (i have 3) in part because they have a lever you squeeze and it locks in a preset throttle position so you don't have to as you work on holding and pulling on the unit.
thats too bad the company you choose did not do that for you.

let us know how you do, it's easier than it sounds, for real

-one more thing. if you have an air compressor and are handy enough to get the fuel filter out of the gas tank (coat hanger with a hook will pull it out grabbing the gas line) and blow air thru the filter to remove the water from it. if not, replace it or try to blow thru it with your mouth and see if it is full of water. worst case is warm it up and make certain it is dried out completely and blow into it to make it air passes thru it easily
Great post!

Offline WALLEYE44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 03, 2014, 12:08 AM »
The only time mine has taken more then 5 pulls is when I forgot to turn it on. LOL I hope you get it figured out. It is a great auger.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 03, 2014, 06:06 AM »
With EPA's new standard they have small main jet. You need to get part number for jet 2 sizes bigger. I called Tanaka and this is what they told me. Said bring it to one of their service guys in my area. I hold throttle quarter way and it starts easier full choke. I think main jet replacement would give better performance at wot.not that mine is lacking power.love the Tanaka.
Fishin red lines

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 03, 2014, 07:48 AM »
With EPA's new standard they have small main jet. You need to get part number for jet 2 sizes bigger. I called Tanaka and this is what they told me. Said bring it to one of their service guys in my area. I hold throttle quarter way and it starts easier full choke. I think main jet replacement would give better performance at wot.not that mine is lacking power.love the Tanaka.

That's exactly correct the main needs to be bigger in order for it to run with Ethanol fuels. The main Jet is fixed and can not be changed out unlike a old carb snowmobile or auto Carb like a Holly.  If you have the specs you could simply order the next size up carb. When we raced Go Karts we had to run Alcohol fuel for safety reasons and also ran Makuni carbs which were all built specifically for running Alcohol in the 4 stroke engine. After every race the engines needed to be purged of the fuel with straight pump gas to get the Alcohol out of the carb as not to start the Corrosion process. This is why I keep saying never run Methanol in these engines no matter what that stuff will screw up any engine quick unless you know how to counter act its effects.  Even if you are running Non Ethanol gas as the OP stated over time things gunk. Its the nature of the beast these small engines have small carbs and small journals in the carbs leave little room for error. When you store it for the summer the gas evaporates out of carb and what's left? Oil! the oil doesn't evaporate it just lies in the carb and slowly cakes up until you pour in gas and try to start. The minute particles then get pushed about and many burn off ok others jam up the tiny fuel journals inside causing  problems. Again its why I start my tools and engines 12 months a year to help keep this from happening. 

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:12 AM »
Hmm I'd say your best bet is to just cut your losses and sell the auger TO ME since I'm not too far away from you in Fargo here.

All joking aside, it's a really simple fix for you.  START IT AT WIDE OPEN THROTTLE.  Seriously, it's that simple.  I went through the same headache as you until I figured that out.

Prime it until you see gas in the line from the tank to the carb, I rarely use the primer.  Full choke, right hand holding the throttle wide open, left hand on the pull rope and give it short quick pulls.  It will start in less than 5 pulls, let go of the throttle as soon as it fires and leave choke on full for a bit, then move to half choke for a bit, then no choke, then drill.  The time to leave the choke on full and half all depends on the temp and how long you are letting it warm up for.  You'll get a feel for it by the sound of the engine as it's warming up.

Please try this and report back on how it works.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:07 AM »
Hmm I'd say your best bet is to just cut your losses and sell the auger TO ME since I'm not too far away from you in Fargo here.

All joking aside, it's a really simple fix for you.  START IT AT WIDE OPEN THROTTLE.  Seriously, it's that simple.  I went through the same headache as you until I figured that out.

Prime it until you see gas in the line from the tank to the carb, I rarely use the primer.  Full choke, right hand holding the throttle wide open, left hand on the pull rope and give it short quick pulls.  It will start in less than 5 pulls, let go of the throttle as soon as it fires and leave choke on full for a bit, then move to half choke for a bit, then no choke, then drill.  The time to leave the choke on full and half all depends on the temp and how long you are letting it warm up for.  You'll get a feel for it by the sound of the engine as it's warming up.

This or you can just adjust the throttle screw  ;D

Please try this and report back on how it works.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 03, 2014, 12:11 PM »
This or you can just adjust the throttle screw  ;D
I assume you mean turn the idle up? Does your auger spin (even just a tiny amount) when idling either while warming up or between holes?  Mine sure did when I tried that and didn't fix the problem either.

I don't understand what's so difficult about holding a throttle while pull starting a 27cc motor.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 03, 2014, 12:17 PM »
I assume you mean turn the idle up? Does your auger spin (even just a tiny amount) when idling either while warming up or between holes?  Mine sure did when I tried that and didn't fix the problem either.

I don't understand what's so difficult about holding a throttle while pull starting a 27cc motor.

Yes it does at idle.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 03, 2014, 12:23 PM »
I do believe that the darn thing just needs to get broken in too. The more I use mine the better it got.

Offline Shidso

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:48 PM »
Ok guys so here is the scoop.  Picked up a Champion EZ start plug but only started it once with it so far.  I mixed up some 90 or 100:1 premium NON-ETHANOL gas with Amsoil Saber and seafoam.  Ran this yesterday and today.  Yesterday temps were around -15 and I could get it in about 5 pulls or less.  Today was around 10-30 degrees and same thing about 5 pulls or less.  Like some of you suggested I now hold the throttle wide open while starting.  Choke full on and wide open 5 pulls or less every time so far.  After fire choke to half and then off according to temperature.  Runs great now and seems to be starting better and better as I use it more.  Still yet only about 2 or so tanks of fuel through it.  I filled it up almost full yesterday and fished all day yesterday (20-40 holes) and all day today (40-60 holes) and there is still fuel left! Doesn't burn fuel very fast!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:52 PM »
I tried the throttle thing today to just to see and went from 6-8 to 2-3 pulls, so stupidly simple LOL I ditched the Champion plugs though to many problems over the years with them all my toys run NGK's

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #46 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:34 PM »
nice and good job!
so between the suggestions offered you picked the winning combination of them

i think sea foam is on sale at napa for 7$ if you want to stock up on some. it is good stuff.
i think the best suggestion was to give it throttle while starting. they should have a lever do it for you like stihl does

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:50 PM »
Glad you got it figured out :tipup:

Offline Shidso

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:06 PM »
I love seafoam run it in everything.  I am convinced it helps fuel mileage and cleans internals real well.  The throttle like stihl would be ideal! Great idea.  Glad I got it starting better and hope the auger works great for me.  Debated on getting a Nils and read reviews online for months and half of the people LOVE them and would never trade while seemed like other half had problems immediately and complained about it.  It has worked great so far!  Anyone suggest ordering a spare cutting tip to have on hand?  I know I could get it sharpened and back by the guy in Minnesota in 3-4 days depending how busy he is.  Seems like having one on hand would be the safest route. 

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:23 PM »
Good idea to have a spare just in case, Frank will sharpen your blade and have it back in the mail the day he gets them....

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 04, 2014, 01:53 PM »
Ok guys so here is the scoop.  Picked up a Champion EZ start plug but only started it once with it so far.  I mixed up some 90 or 100:1 premium NON-ETHANOL gas with Amsoil Saber and seafoam.  Ran this yesterday and today.  Yesterday temps were around -15 and I could get it in about 5 pulls or less.  Today was around 10-30 degrees and same thing about 5 pulls or less.  Like some of you suggested I now hold the throttle wide open while starting.  Choke full on and wide open 5 pulls or less every time so far.  After fire choke to half and then off according to temperature.  Runs great now and seems to be starting better and better as I use it more.  Still yet only about 2 or so tanks of fuel through it.  I filled it up almost full yesterday and fished all day yesterday (20-40 holes) and all day today (40-60 holes) and there is still fuel left! Doesn't burn fuel very fast!
Glad it worked out for you and that it was something as simple as holding the throttle wide open for starting.

Hopefully this thread will help all Nils/Tanaka users like it did you and Esox.

Another thing I've noticed is it burns through fuel a lot faster in cold temps than it does in warm.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 04, 2014, 02:31 PM »
Mine sips fuel, have yet to use the .8 gal I mix each season....My old Strikemasters would push 2 gal a season I drill more holes now than before...

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Mine definitely  used more fuel in the cold temps but motor is new only 2 tanks ran through it so far and possibly 3-400 holes drilled . Thing is an ice eating machine. The throttle trick is best to get it going.
Fishin red lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.