Author Topic: Arctic Armor Question.  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Arctic Armor Question.
« on: Oct 17, 2009, 09:23 PM »
It looks like they finally came out with an all black ice fishing suit!

I was wondering if the hood was detachable. Non detachable hoods are a major pain in my butt when I need to wear a snowmobile helmet. The website is not specific, and none of my local retailers have the stuff out yet.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Arctic Armor Question.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2009, 09:31 PM »
The older red/black ones weren't detachable
Ken                                          

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2009, 09:35 PM »
crud

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2009, 01:34 PM »
Get creative Skip; with all the mods we do for icefishing gear, this should be a fairly easy one.
Anything stitched on is detachable; all you need is a sewing tool called a seam ripper
Then snaps or velcro aren't too hard to install
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2009, 04:43 PM »
My Mom is pretty handy with a sewing machine, but I think I will reaserch other options. If I an going to spend that much money, I dont want to have to chop it up right away.

Thanks for the idea though.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2009, 05:38 PM »
Skipper,
   I just looked at IDI Gear's website there is a phone number plus an email link on the bottom of the home page. The site also has a retailer locate feature there are quite a few dealers listed for Minnesota.
    here is a hyperlink for you www.idigear.com

Steve

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2009, 06:18 PM »
I have a couple big box stores near me that stocks IDI, they just dont move the icefishing stuff out until firearms deer season is over.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2009, 06:36 PM »
IDI will most likely be at the IceFishing Show (they were last year).
Detachable hoods would be an option worth going to their booth to discuss face to face, especially when you put it in the context of helmet laws for them.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2009, 07:28 PM »
I will be there for sure. ;)

I am also going to talk to the sno suit guys about a deal. They have a top notch product WITH a removeable hood. I just cant see coughing the dough they ask retail. There are some good deals to be had down there.

Don, I assume you will be working at the show as well. Maybe I will see you there.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2009, 09:02 PM »
IDI will most likely be at the IceFishing Show (they were last year).
Detachable hoods would be an option worth going to their booth to discuss face to face, especially when you put it in the context of helmet laws for them.
   Great suggestion Desperado ,Skipper from what I've read on this website you will not go wrong if you purchase  a Sno suit. you could always wear a life vest over or underneath to deal with floatation.
 Steve

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2009, 09:08 PM »
I'm not too worried about floatation, so the life jacket route has worked for me this far. I only take a few trips a year on to stupid ice. I know this is politically incorrect, but I am not concerned with falling through the ice we make around here.

I will need a super deal though, I ain't payin what sno suit is askin!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2009, 09:18 PM »
If you really want to save money I would go with Carhart's Arctic Extreme line of colthing most of their jacket have removable hoods. If the jacket is as well made as the bib overalls you should be warm with the right under lying layers of colthing.
  Steve

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2009, 09:21 PM »
I already use Arctic Extreme at work, it is top notch stuff.

Two things remind me a little too much of work, diesel exhaust and carharrt! ;D Seriously though, I would go with carrharrt if it wasn't so dang heavy.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2009, 09:50 PM »
 I agree Carrhart colthing is heavy. I own a red-black Arctic Armor suit it is like a feather by comparison. You will get some moisture build up on the inside of the arctic armor during strenuous activity (gear pulling/hand auguring a hole) so be sure to wear layers that retain most of their insulating ability when damp/wet. (I usually go with some type of wicking underware and a microfleece or wool shirt. Fleece pants with a wicking layer on my lower half or just thermal wicking underware) we do not get the temperatures you do out your way.
  Have not seen Sno-Suit products in my area,but then south east New York is not exactly the ice fishing promised land. I purchased my Arctic Armor at Fish 307 in Lake George,NY. a two hour ride each way from my house when you figure in gas ,meals and over night lodging could have bought a survival suit. One of the lower end models, personally I like two pieces of outerware less to remove when you have to release a brown crappie. If you can Skipper try on the suit while wearing the heaviest/bulkiest colthing you would wear for under layers.     Steve

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Oct 25, 2009, 09:52 PM »
Brown crappie. :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.