Author Topic: 5mm waiders  (Read 4213 times)

Offline giantlakers

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Holy @#%# a Flag
5mm waiders
« on: Dec 28, 2008, 10:39 PM »
me and a good friend had this chat last night, when i mentioned one of the ice armor suite's that float...sounds nice but expensive, we both agreed that up to this point not much beats wearing our fishing (waiders the 5mm neoprene ones) over a few layers of clothing they keep u warm and more importantly dry, i have fallen through ice with these on and not much has happend luckily it was only in 3 feet of water but besides most fisherman already own a pair.  and they can be used year round..cabelas makes a good pair :icefish: :icefish:

Offline giantlakers

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Holy @#%# a Flag
Re: 5mm waiders
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2008, 10:43 PM »

Offline Flag!!Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2008, 03:02 PM »
That Poor lady behind us sure didn't have any waders and she was in at least 5ft. Thought she was gonna kill her husband. He was more worried about his grandmother's frying pan than his wife drowning!   

Offline giantlakers

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Holy @#%# a Flag
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2008, 08:13 PM »
yea i forgot about her that was funny he was gonna dive in for the pan lol could care less about his old lady in the water lol :afro: :afro:

Offline d.e.a.f.g.u.y

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2008, 05:08 PM »
lol is that chris?

Offline AlgaeKilla

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2009, 11:37 PM »
something to keep in mind, if you go through in deeper water with waders on they will fill up with water and you'll sink like a rock.
Photobucket can suck it

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2009, 09:15 AM »
    Not at all, that's nothing but a myth. The water inside waders Does Not weigh any more than the water outside - neutral buoyancy. Next if you are wearing a belt it's pretty certain air is going to be trapped inside the waders providing positive buoyancy, and last neo's are closed cell usually blown with nitrogen (lighter than air and a much better insulator). If you've ever been scuba diving you'll have experienced this for yourself.
    Lee Wolfe many times put on demonstrations diving into deep water wearing waders - even off a bridge once, to prove that waders will not sink you like a stone as this persistant myth would have you believe. Panic will kill you or exhaust you. Keep you're wits, raise you're knees to retain air trapped inside and the waders will helpyou stay afloat. Navy drown proofing teaches using dungarees for water wings and a shirt or jacket with the sleeves knotted can also help. OK the training's not very relevant to the ice but in any case neoprene waders will float you like a cork and provide very good insulation if you do go in, helping prevent body warmth being lost to the surrounding water and helping trapped water to warm around your body - the principal that makes wet suits work.

Spin

Offline AlgaeKilla

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2009, 10:22 AM »
Raising the knees is a good idea. Never thought about that, but doubt I would if I went in in 33 degree water. The water the enters the waders will add mass to your legs that you will be kicking in order to stay afloat in freezing water. Your body does not have time to warm up water that cold, you only have about 15 minutes before you start losing muscle control. Did Mr. Wolfe ever jump in to freezing cold water with waders on?
Photobucket can suck it

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2009, 11:29 AM »
      Yes he did, Very cold trout/salmon water. I've taken the nestea plunge several times wading and a few of them were steelheading and there was still ice on the water. Water in the waders WILL warm and relatively fast in neo's, it will still feel cold but it's plenty warmer than the water outside. Again this is how a wetsuit works and I started scuba diving when I was 15 and I just turned 58 a few days ago. Before age and arthritis got the best of me friends and I use to go ice diving. Visibility can be way, way better under the ice. Use to pour warm water we brought along in picnic jugs down our backs before going in. Then of course theres the bladder release instant heat rush as well.Neoprene waders tend to be tighter fitting than standards hence less water inside. Take a look on some of the fly fishing lists, loads of info on this. Try FAOL they have a ton of posts and articles.Waders may be encumbering if you have to swim long distance but they will not " drag you down " and neo's will actually float you and help keep you from succumbing to cold.

Spin

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2009, 01:07 PM »
    Not at all, that's nothing but a myth. The water inside waders Does Not weigh any more than the water outside - neutral buoyancy. Next if you are wearing a belt it's pretty certain air is going to be trapped inside the waders providing positive buoyancy, and last neo's are closed cell usually blown with nitrogen (lighter than air and a much better insulator). If you've ever been scuba diving you'll have experienced this for yourself.
    Lee Wolfe many times put on demonstrations diving into deep water wearing waders - even off a bridge once, to prove that waders will not sink you like a stone as this persistant myth would have you believe. Panic will kill you or exhaust you. Keep you're wits, raise you're knees to retain air trapped inside and the waders will helpyou stay afloat. Navy drown proofing teaches using dungarees for water wings and a shirt or jacket with the sleeves knotted can also help. OK the training's not very relevant to the ice but in any case neoprene waders will float you like a cork and provide very good insulation if you do go in, helping prevent body warmth being lost to the surrounding water and helping trapped water to warm around your body - the principal that makes wet suits work.

Spin

Thats very true, except that you wont be able to get out with your waders filled with water.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2009, 01:25 PM »
   I dunno they aren't all that bulky and don't hold as much water as you think - like I said I've taken the big dip in them and more than once. A belt is a big help however and the bulky gear we (me included!) usually wear on the ice seems like it would encumber a guy trying to get out every bit as much.
   My objection to wearing the neo waders is that at some time condensation inside even wearing non absorptive clothes will reach a point where you might start to get chilled or at least uncomfortable. I know that the heavy fleece poly wading pants i wear when steelheading are plenty damp on the outside when I take them off after only say 3 or 4 hrs fishing.

Spin

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2009, 04:56 PM »
I have a pair of neoprene waders hanging in my basement and I went out and bought Arctic Armor anyway. Anyway, I like my Arctic Armor and I'm not very anxious to see how well it floats.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline d.e.a.f.g.u.y

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2009, 12:11 AM »
them waders work real good found that out wed when i went for a little swim on second lake  :laugh:

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2009, 03:00 PM »
Waders are good idea.  Also if you wear a wakeboard suit too.  Even if you fall into the water the neoprene is a good insulator to also provide you insulation as you tread your way wet back to your car.  Too bad, I wasn't wearing these that one time I fell through, but now I won't forget them for early ice.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2009, 04:06 PM »
  Don't doubt for a minute that your info is correct.  BUT- I personally think that: A person would be WAY- AHEAD, using COMMON sense & stay off Ice that looks like the photo you posted :whistle: :nono:......Just my 2 cents,  Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.