Author Topic: Warm boots that really will not leak even if standing in 6 inches of ice slush.  (Read 7081 times)

Offline beau2

• Team IceShanty Regular
I bought a pair of Sorel boots at Basspro yesterday and wore them out on the lake this afternoon and evening.  The boots are advertised as being waterproof and good to minus 50 deg. F.  I was in approximately 2 - 3" of slush ice most of the time.  My feet got cold and a little wet.  I am returning them tomorrow.  What boots can I buy that will be warm and handle these conditions for a few years worth of ice fishing?

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
Man sorry to hear that...
I have Danner MT hunter GTX & they lasted for a couple years. My older brother has MUCK Arctic boots and they have lasted forever and keep him warm. check them out.

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
+1 on the Muck Boots.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
That sucks!!!! I have a pair of Ranger Summits that I have worn for years with no problems.... :)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
i have a pair of baffin apex boots. rated to -148 F. they are a canadian company so they know cold. i have had them for 6 years, they were upwards of 200 bucks but it was one of the best ways i could spend 200 bucks. i have never had cold feet. never. and i lived in northern minnesota for 3 years. its cold up there. they dont get wet, and they are durable as heck.. i totally recommend them.
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
My feet got cold and a little wet.

Are you sure it was a leak and not just perspiration?

My feet sweat and my toes get cold ALL THE TIME! My rubber Canadian pac-felt boots do not leak at all but I can never stay dry. I am going to get several cans of antiperspirant spray and try that next on my feet. As is, I have to take the felts out each night and dry them over my baseboard heat registers.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So many peeps learn the hard way. Mickeys, warm as a mofo, dry as a desert! If you fall through take em offn towell em off and they are ready to go again! I add a pair of river wader wool felts to the inside, the kind ya gle to boot waders to prevent slipping on rocks. Have not had cold feet in ten years! And do not let a coopuple whiners try and tell ya they are heavy or hard to walk in, they are just weaklings! OOOORah!

Offline Camogurl20

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have a pair of artic sports and they are amazing. 
  Ice Fish Baby!! :)

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If you are an average working man like myself. Who works to live in poverty. Muck boots & a good pair of wool socks. ;) Your feet will stay dry & warm. Last sunday I was walking on the Ice & stepped in a ice hole. :'( Went in past my knee. Took off my muck boot dumped the water out. Stayed out all day with wet wool sock & wet muck boot & still was warm.  :tipup:

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Are you sure it was a leak and not just perspiration?

My feet sweat and my toes get cold ALL THE TIME! My rubber Canadian pac-felt boots do not leak at all but I can never stay dry. I am going to get several cans of antiperspirant spray and try that next on my feet. As is, I have to take the felts out each night and dry them over my baseboard heat registers.

Very good point !!  Make sure you wear good (non cotton) socks that will wick away moisture.  
Personally, I wear Micky boots.  Warm, waterproof.... ;)

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
I agree with the muck boots been ice fishing with my feet in 5 inches of slushy water for a week now! :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline snuffcan

• Team IceShanty Regular
 I use Rocky pack boot and wool socks with liners. Never got wet. Two of my buddies use "Mickey Mouse" boots from the Army surplus store. (They're not good walkin boots, but they will keep you dry and warm.)

Offline lainer

• IceShanty Rookie
I've been wearing Army surplus "Mickey Boots" for about 5 years now.  I only spent about $50 on them and they have been great, kinda stupid looking, but warm and dry!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sounds like mickies are a working mans boot eh? Not to mention they do not wear out....

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
i'v had great luck with rocky pac boots and cabelas predator extreme pac boots,i haven't had wet or cold feet in a long time

Offline vaderscommandship

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nathan
I have had rockys, hi tec, carolina,cabelas, sorel, lacross,vasque and technica. They all underperformed on ice all day. I now have a pair of candien white mickey mouse boots. Best $10 i ever done spent! I had a pair of sportsmans guide mickey boots ;iked em but they split at the seems after 2 hikes into deer stands. Get the US mickey boots, but if you can find em the candien counterpart is more comfy and warmer,(at least to me!).
Nathan

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
if you're standing in slush you'll get wet no matter what. Sorels are some of the best out there, so don't return them just be aware of wet conditions. after i grew out of my sorels i got some wolverines, and those are real nice.

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
if you're standing in slush you'll get wet no matter what. Sorels are some of the best out there, so don't return them just be aware of wet conditions. after i grew out of my sorels i got some wolverines, and those are real nice.
Been standing in slush for a week and not one wet foot! :tipup: Muck woody max dry all day
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline Gman64

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It Cant Be Time To Go Home I Still Have Bait Left!
Go with the mickeys!! Really warm and mine have lasted for years. Never had cold feet!!! Cant comment on cost as mine were issued to me. Have heard they can be found cheap tho!!

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
MUCK BOOTS!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
my uncle wears mickeys and he says they are awesome and apparantly the way they are designed they will keep your feet warm even if they get wet.  

Me on the other hand when its wet and slushy  wear a pair of tall rubber insulated lacross hunting boots with what i think they call burly soles on them and i havent had them leak on me at all. I also hear that Muck boots are pretty reliable and will keep ya dry

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
Cabellas Predator extremes
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline Sarbinator

• IceShanty Rookie
I second the muck boots i struggled foryears tryin to find good boots
muck boots all the way baby
I also have the woody max   , warm waterproof comfortable and they look bad @$$!!!!!

Offline AT Grimaldi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why does my 13 yr old always out fish me?
+2 on the Muck boots.  I have the arctic and ATG Jr has the rangers.  There is a sponsor whom has GREAT prices at the top of the screen.

- ATG
Vintage Frabill Ice Shuttle with modifications
K-Drill with M18 Milwaukee Drill
Jack Traps rule the world of hardwater!
Marcum LX-7LI Lithium Combo Sonar System
ATG Custom Smelt Jigging Boards
ATG Custom Jigs
Arctic Armor Suit
Mr. Buddy
Shappell 3000
.....and no time.

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
Mucks are the way to go.100$ gets it done.Ive been fishing in slop for 2 day now and im dry as a bone.

Offline buschmann

• IceShanty Rookie
i have a pair of baffins, got them at kittery trading post for around 80 last year warm and 100% waterproof ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
Ok Lacrosse iceman's 30 years old the liners are beat to a pulp so many socks but never wet feet or cold.I Put them under the bed in the trailer four years ago and bought Cabelas predators Three years no wet or cold feet until I hit one with the auger now a wet foot. Back to the ice mans.Great weekend.Just bought cabela's extreme cold boots .headed out tomorrow for a full day and will report .As for wet the trick to not having to skim ice out of the hole is to run the auger fullbore and pull it out so your boots will be in water all day .

Live to fish forced to work

Offline dml78

• Team IceShanty Regular
Muck arctic extreams!! Best thing since sliced bread!!!

Offline toocheaptosmoke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is it lunch time yet?
For ice fishing, mickey boots all the way.  I have some high end sorels and while they are very warm and breath better when on land, the mickeys are warmer when standing on ice.  Can be had for less than 30 bucks on fleebay, but be sure to get real gov't issue.
[signature removed]

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
+1 Rocky ice pacs, had them for 10yrs now and feet are dry and comfy...nylon sock liner keeps your feet dry. old military trick...
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.