Author Topic: IDI Artic Armor Ice Fishing Suit  (Read 10667 times)

Offline Hobo Hilton

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it's FISHABLE or HUNTABLE, It's ME
IDI Artic Armor Ice Fishing Suit
« on: Dec 25, 2010, 05:09 AM »
  Just received Gift Cert. for Fish307.  Thinking on a IDI Suit any Pro's or Con's.

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: IDI Artic Armor Ice Fishing Suit
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:03 AM »
I like mine!  Keeps me warm and dry, and I like the idea that it could possibly save me from checking out the bottom of a pond some time.  Hopefully I never field test that feature.  I put velcro strips on the slashes that allow you to get into your regular pants pockets.  It let the cold in.  I never wear pants under the bibs anyhow, just longjohns.
Mike

Offline bigtim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • gone fishing
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:31 AM »
i have Owen mine for 3 years grate suit i bought the camo this year and gave mine red and black one to my fishing partner i have never been cold in mine i am a run and gun  fishing so 90% of the time i am on a pail not in a shanty grate suit

Offline tubby67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Keep it only if your going to eat it"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:55 AM »
I bought the Arctic Armor Plus in green/black last week to replace my old blue suit, only used it once and love it. I really like the safety feature so much I bought another one for my son yesterday the red/black suit.

Offline A-TOM-MIK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasing perch the last 27 years
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2010, 09:06 AM »
Got a few trips in my IDI Artic Armor green/black plus+ suit already since new a week ago.

Green/Black = plus suit
Red/Black = no insulating liner

I have had several original complete Gor-tex suits, pants and parka's through the years

Have also had 2 separate Cabela's guide-wear Gor-tex suits, bibs and tops

All after 3 to 4 years of extreme weather and 100+ uses on average a year have ended up leaking, I'm not really complaining as I feel they were well worth the extra cash you pay for them, and after all there are only a few times a year when you get that wet and have to stay out in it, so all in all they leak yes, but they are also a very effective means of foul weather gear.

Now with my new IDI plus suit I am hoping for the best !!! Initial feeling is I should of went with the red/black suit as the green/black has made me sweat after only short hauls on the ice so far packing rather light even.

I am also hoping the outer shell holds up as in comparison to my many past Gor-tex suits, it is def. a lighter fabric, great for mobility so far and somewhat giving, but I just hope that it holds up. My latest Cabela's guide-wear does leak after about 3 years (300+ uses) but I have ran it through the ringer without a rip or a thread out of place, my initial thought on the IDI plus suit is that it won't stand up to the combative relentless type use it will need to endure after a single season. The material on the parka cuffs is also a neat material and it has vel-cro for tightening, it is sort of comparative to my Rivers West foul weather jacket. NICE

Under my suits as of lately (all fall) I am wearing a Duo-Fold longer underwear I purchased from Dicks. That is what I wore with my first few trips under the IDI plus suit.

As far as the flotation and fit of the suit I am 5' 11" and weight 230, I went with an XL top and a L Bottom, the bottom fits super and snugs right up d/t the internal tightening system, (vel-cro with extra lining near pant cuffs) It really seems that if you go through the ice it wouldn't ride up too much and would keep you a float, as far as the top it does seem like an honest way to keep you on top in case of incident, IF you have it all buttoned up, zippered etc. there are ample extra buttons and such

Of course these are only my opinions

HIH
Tom
I aint' got a lot but I think I got it made !!! In the shade...........
- Hank Williams Jr.

Lovin' Life !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71EfNNRg_s
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1174207024#!/profile.php?id=1174207024

Offline Hobo Hilton

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it's FISHABLE or HUNTABLE, It's ME
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2010, 09:58 AM »
I appreciate your input, along with the rest.  I hope this IceShanty.com stays the BROTHERHOOD, that it seems to be, when helping one another.

Offline Fire~n~Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2010, 10:07 AM »
Love this suit! And yes...it does work! LOL I have the original red/black and it is plenty warm for me! Congrats! Enjoy

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2010, 10:13 AM »
love the suit. Im always cold so I just add a layer. Im 6`3``, 220 got extra l on both. Fit fine. The fact that its light and floats makes it. Be safe :tipup:

Offline Mooneye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:41 PM »
Own two IDI AA suits, one for the wife and one for myself.  Used Refrigiware, one-piece suits for decades before the IDI AA suits.  The IDI are lighter and as warm, if not warmer than the Refrigiware.  Hood is roomier also.  Break the wind real good.  Wifey stays warm and has no complaints, so they must be good, right? 

Bought the first IDI for my wife after she went through in late winter.  Second time in 50 years that someone ice fishing with me has gone swimming.  Two near misses was enough for me (I am a slow learner), so I bought the IDI suits and based on two years of use and the the extra margin of safery they provide, would recommend them.   

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2010, 10:47 PM »
I love mine, nicer when it is 20 or below, a little warm any warmer

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2010, 12:58 PM »
Just took delivery Friday on the six I bought at the Syracuse show. Five Camo one red/black. The Camo will be used by the hunting folks, (one for the wife), and the other for a non-hunter. One of our guys went through last year and would not go out again, or his son either, 'till I showed him the video, then he went for it. We're still trying them on for fit and so on but will be on the ice with them after the weekend.

Several other friends have gone through with these on and are glad they had them. One guy even continued to fish all day after getting wet but he stayed warm enough to even dry out so I'm glad we got them. Almost $2,000. for all of 'em divided by six lives? Well worth it if they save just one.

The Camo are fleeced on the outside so they're much more quiet in the woods, and they cost quite a bit more than the others.
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2010, 01:22 PM »
I have the red one, I've got over 150 trips on it and it still is mint. However I sat on the auger once and put a small slice in the bibs, still no issues though!
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2010, 01:46 PM »
I have the green suit.  It's warm, comfortable, and moves easily.  I also use the suit here on my ranch when out on the tractor blowing snow from the driveway and trails.  Very nice for that.  I have also used it as a snowmobile suit.
The thing is well worth the money.  Just knowing I am not going to Davy Jones's locker is worth whatever they charge.
Whatever you decide,
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2010, 02:12 PM »
The only issue with the suits that I have is that I'll work up a sweat when walking or using the hand auger for example.  I've been known to change clothes out on the ice to get dry.
Leave it better than you found it

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2010, 02:27 PM »
I have used one for 4 years, the warmest suit I have found yet. Sometimes I find it is to warm. All ya need is a set of long johns under it and you are toasty in any cold weather. I know a guy who tested the floatation of the suit and it performs well, And the red suit doubles as a Santa Suit this time of year.  ;D

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2010, 05:54 PM »
I just have the jacket (green/black) and used it for the first time today. I was extremely happy with it. I need to get the bibs.

Offline miked

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • jack perch
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2010, 10:36 PM »
i read on the maine or conn site that they were on sale 25to 40 bucks off on some colors
[img]

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2010, 02:13 PM »
whats the avg price on these IDI suites? Sounds like i need to get a pair

Offline A-TOM-MIK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasing perch the last 27 years
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2010, 02:18 PM »
In upstate NY:

$319 for standard suit Red/black
$339 for insulated Green/black

By the piece:
Tops range from 159.99 to 179.99
Bibs range from 169.99 to 189.99
I aint' got a lot but I think I got it made !!! In the shade...........
- Hank Williams Jr.

Lovin' Life !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71EfNNRg_s
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1174207024#!/profile.php?id=1174207024

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2010, 03:58 PM »
thanks for the info. Next piece of gear i buy will either be that suit or a power auger

Offline Lost Kangaroo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2010, 05:28 PM »
I have the green suit...do it, they are great.
Yes they can get warm, when I am in the shanty I just open up the jacket and unzip the front of the bibs.
Knowing they can float me is a big plus.

Roo.

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2010, 05:29 PM »
Lmao roflmao

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:15 PM »
Got a few trips in my IDI Artic Armor green/black plus+ suit already since new a week ago.

Green/Black = plus suit
Red/Black = no insulating liner

Does the camo version have insulation?

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:14 PM »
Green Bay Packers geen and yellow suits are $269 bibs and jacket.

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:16 PM »
   Does the camo version have insulation?

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:33 PM »
whats the avg price on these IDI suites? Sounds like i need to get a pair

The price is the same where ever you buy it.  The manufacturer dictates the price, retailers are not allowed to set any other price.  Even the
"free gloves" special is universal from one vendor to another.  I've noticed this on several ice fishing equipment items, from flashers to shelters.  And they are rarely, if ever, on sale.  According to the retailer I spoke with, buy it where you get the best service and loyalty.

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:47 PM »
Anybody?

Offline allfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:00 PM »
I bought mine at the ice show last year the rep said the felt does not add warmth its just softer to the touch . As far as flotation it works. i went thru the ice late in the season stayed out about an hour to long . Went thru 5 inches of ice. my jacket was open and still popped up like a cork. by far the best investment ever. my friend pulled me out with a rope. He bought one this year.
Fish  till it hurts

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:04 PM »
CAMO???????

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:07 PM »
CAMO???????

Yes it does, I have the CAMO and it is the same suit as the red or green ones.  Or the ugly Green Bay ones too ::)
It is more expensive because it is camo but all the features are the same.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.