Author Topic: army surplus mittens?  (Read 6066 times)

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
army surplus mittens?
« on: Sep 24, 2006, 06:45 PM »
was at the local flea market yesterday and they had a big box of army surplus mittens. wool liners, some had trigger fingers, leather palms. elbow length. they looked a bit cumbersome, but might come in handy gathering tip ups on the way out. anyone ever use these? for 9 bucks might be worth it just to make snowmen with the grandkids. thanks,
                            blue mule

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: army surplus mittens?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2006, 08:46 AM »
i use them, they wrok great, they are a little cumbersome, but all you do is 5' long string fron cuff to cuff and toss them over your shoulder, toss them off to bring up a fish, slide them back on when your done, you dont have to worry about loosing them, personally though i use them for hunting mostly, they get to be a hassle when your cracking beverage after beverage ;)

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2006, 04:19 PM »
i use them, they wrok great, they are a little cumbersome, but all you do is 5' long string fron cuff to cuff and toss them over your shoulder, toss them off to bring up a fish, slide them back on when your done, you dont have to worry about loosing them, personally though i use them for hunting mostly, they get to be a hassle when your cracking beverage after beverage ;)
thanks arch. i'm sure i'll find that out!

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2006, 04:56 PM »
thanks arch. i'm sure i'll find that out!

although, with the leather palm, the moisture from the beverage doesnt get your glove damp :tipup:
the times i do use them on the ice i dont have the liners in, just the glove, it makes them loose for easy one, easy off usage :-\ they work good that way for when im just hanging out BS'ing, when i see a flag they slip right off, and when my hands are wet they slip right back on, they are great in that aspect :tipup:

Offline gofish33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gone fishin
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2006, 08:38 PM »
Been using them for 3-4 years now, best warm gloves for the money!! Drop a handwarmer in each one before you head out on the ice, they'll stay nice and toasty all day . 

gofish33

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2006, 09:51 PM »
they are bulky but good for non shanty fishing, and hey for 9 bucks there great just to throw behind the seat of the truck for emergency mitts, i have the ones with the trigger finger
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2006, 03:51 PM »
you do know the wool side is for wiping your nose!   a booger catcher  lol  had em given to me  for over 20 yrs  and that was part of the training on survival in alaska   lol      (USAF retired)
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.