Author Topic: Boots  (Read 5738 times)

Offline tomertim

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Boots
« Reply #30 on: Sep 05, 2016, 07:46 PM »
Baffins get my vote. Never had anything but a toasty experience ice fishing. Negative temps or sitting in 5 inches of spring slush, it's all good.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Sep 05, 2016, 09:51 PM »
My feet almost never get cold but I needed to replace some 20 year old Sorrel's so I switched to a pair of Mucks Arctic Sports 2 years ago.  I really like them.  They are light weight and fit my 4E wide foot pretty comfortably.  So far they are impervious to slush (huge) AND they are EZ on/off.  A little spendy but if they hold up for a while it was worth the extra $.

Offline not_paul

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Oct 03, 2016, 08:25 AM »
Muck boots artic pro.   Can't beat them.   Not the best for real long walks but very comfy and keep my toes nice and warm.  I found my pair for 110 bucks at local store.
These are what I use. I tested them out on LOTW when the temp was around 30 below. Wind chill had it quite a bit colder.

Nothing was cold from the knee down.

I also used them while I was contracting at Thomson Reuters through the winter. I used the Arctic Pros mostly because TR heavily salts their parking lot and I ruined a nice pair of shoes.

If you're unfamiliar with them, think of a huge mall parking lot surrounded by an even bigger mall parking lot. Seriously, they have shuttles that take people to their cars.

There were days when I'd need to walk half a mile to get from the parking lot to work. The Arctic Pros made it easy to not care about plowing through knee high snow to get from the parking lot to the path. I never took that silly shuttle once.

The only times I've preferred other boots is when I need to wear them indoors in the heat. My feet and lower leg overheats.

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Oct 03, 2016, 08:27 AM »
+1 on peet boot dryer. It will make boots last longer and stink less. I use cabelas trans Alaskans. They are great.

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 03, 2016, 09:04 AM »
Mickeys for sure  ;)

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Oct 08, 2016, 11:51 AM »
one vote for Cabela"s Trans Alaska lll's here.

+2 I bought mine towards the end of last season when they were on sale. They are the warmest boots I've ever worn. And they are easy to walk in. Back in 69, I was stationed at Duluth MN and was issued a pair of the White Mickey boots. While they kept my feet warm with just a pair o GI socks. The downside is that they are not designed for walking long distances. And if my memory serves me, they were also pretty heavy.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Oct 10, 2016, 05:06 AM »
Been ice fishing for over 5o years. Nothing beats Military Mickey Mouse/Bunny Boots

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Bengals1013

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Oct 10, 2016, 09:35 AM »
Has anyone tried the Kamik Goliath3? I found them on sale at Cabelas and ordered a pair.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #38 on: Oct 20, 2016, 01:27 PM »
I have the black Mickeys'.  There's a problem with these if you're not familiar.

I have to wear long underwear with mine, if I dont, my socks slip down and the top of the boot rubs, actually the better word is cuts into my calf.  When I wear bibs, I really dont want long underwear on. Outside of wearing long underwear or finding socks that come up past your knees, does anyone have any solution to this?
in the instructions that came with my mickeys it says to pull your socks up and fold them over the top of the boot.works great for me for 15 years or more.the rubber will cut into your leg if you don't do this.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Oct 20, 2016, 02:49 PM »
If you're going to use them for hunting also, I'd definitely look into a pair of Schnee's.  They are made in USA, very warm, and re-solable.  As for totally waterproof and warm you can't beat a pair of the Mickey Mouse or bunny (the white Mickey Mouse boots) boots.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Oct 20, 2016, 04:54 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.