Author Topic: Best suit for cold weather?  (Read 44444 times)

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best suit for cold weather?
« on: Sep 30, 2011, 03:24 PM »
Im looking into getting suits this year for myself and wife to be warmer and dry, she wants to get the floating ones because I fish alone during the week when shes at work everyone else is afraid to walk on water.  I have been looking at arctic armor for a while but have seen some quality issues and bad customer service posts recently. Looking on red rock store I seen this new suit called the striker ice and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. This is also the suit we will be wearing snowmobiling. My other worry about arctic armor is not being warm enough, my wife is always cold.  Any help is greatly appreciated

surflizard

Re: Best suit for cold weather?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2011, 04:43 PM »
I got the AA suits for me and the missus, she has the red and black suit and loves it, nothing she had before worked for her !

I am looking at the striker also, I had the AA Plus suit and in -20 below it was awesome, 20 degrees or higher it was too much ! Only trouble, there are no real world reviews for the striker suit !

Offline Pintuckeyice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2011, 05:23 AM »
I just looked at the striker suit at a store here in town. Looks nice I think I would have went with it instead of arctic armor if I would have seen them last year.

Offline slabkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:09 AM »
Look at the write up at Ice Fishing Maniac too at www.icefishingmaniac.com. They give a staff review that is pretty helpful. You can see the same one at Korkys Outpost www.korkys.com. Korkys runs both websites. The write up does a good job of explaining how to vent a floating suit and how Striker Ice is so much better.

Offline zen_grasshopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2011, 04:26 PM »
I got the AA suits for me and the missus, she has the red and black suit and loves it, nothing she had before worked for her !
(Image removed from quote.)
I am looking at the striker also, I had the AA Plus suit and in -20 below it was awesome, 20 degrees or higher it was too much ! Only trouble, there are no real world reviews for the striker suit !
(Image removed from quote.)

Offline Vermont

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2011, 08:54 PM »
Your leaning toward the floating suite but if you want durable and will last you years the Carhartt insulated bib is great. It is what i have and love it and never cold. If you want to make it water say at the knees you can get that water proof spray. They are a canvas material or they are canvas.
-20F is only a little chilly

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:47 PM »
Hey Vermont, Welcome to Iceshanty.
Your leaning toward the floating suite but if you want durable and will last you years the Carhartt insulated bib is great. It is what i have and love it and never cold. If you want to make it water say at the knees you can get that water proof spray. They are a canvas material or they are canvas.
Nice to see you back at it so soon. That's the spirit.
 That floating "suite" you speak of there in your first sentence, I got a question, please. Is that like a floating fancy room at a hotel?
And I have just one more question, if I may. If you want to make it water, do you unzip, or am I just too stupid to understand, if so, sorry.

Offline jeffmonument

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:16 PM »
My Striker Lite(orange color) just arrived late last week and loving it ;D  I wanted a suit for years but never thought they looked good.  I'm loving this one and plan to test it out on the ice on dec 3rd....just hoping i don't need to test the floating option lol!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2011, 11:12 AM »
BUMP - I'm on the fence here, can't decide if I should get Acrtic Armour or Striker.  I've heard a few bad reviews of the quality on Arctic Armour and poor customer service, but I can't really find too much user-review info on the new Striker suits. 

Anyone else have the striker floating ice suit?
Tight lines

Offline 03rangerfx4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2011, 12:18 PM »
I just received my Striker Lite suit last Wednesday.
I've handled many ice suits in the stores, and jumped on the striker lite blind.
I'm glad I did, the Striker quality is A+
Haven't tested the warmth outdoors, but it appears to be very warm.
I chose it over the Arctic Armor due to reviews about quality, customer service concerns and breathablilty.

I'll try to chime in after putting it to use.
Dan

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2011, 12:32 PM »
thanks Dan - how's the fit?  I know the legs have adjustable length..but I'm ordering from redrock and I live in Ontario so I want to get the size right.  I'm 6' 175lbs...any idea for sizing?  I was thinking XL bibs and L coat  ???
Tight lines

Offline tiptoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2011, 05:05 PM »
I just purchased the Striker Lite bibs.  I'm 6'1", 175lbs.  I found the medium to be the best fit.  Yes, medium.  With the large I had to really choke up on the suspenders to make them fit properly, even with the cuffs adjusted all the way up.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2011, 11:55 AM »
really?  I guess thier sizing chart is a little off?  ???
Tight lines

Offline 03rangerfx4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2011, 12:19 PM »
I am 5'-11" 180lbs.
I ordered a Large coat and Large bibs.
I probably could have gotten away with a Medium of both, but the Large is not overly big.
Dan

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2011, 12:26 PM »
I chose it over the Arctic Armor due to reviews about quality, customer service concerns and breathablilty.
I'll try to chime in after putting it to use.
Customer service and manufacturing quality is a huge concern for me, especially with an investment like this - I wrote to a staff member from Striker Ice suits and recieved a reply within a few hours.  They answered all my questions quickly in a series of email coversations where I never waited more than 2 hours for a reply.  Here's a reply to my inquiry on thier warranty/return procedure:

"Our warranty policy is 1 year due to the strange conditions our gear could be exposed to, but if you have a failure (snap, zipper, etc…) we expect to handle correcting any of those issues for a longer period of time. Manufacturers’ defects will be handled with replacement product upon the return of the defective product and a review by our warranty department. Returns are accepted for product that is in new condition with the hangtags still attached. The customer is responsible for return shipping costs and we will cover the shipping costs for exchanges.

Bottom line is we want our suit wearers to be happy because they’re our best salesmen. If you have a problem we will do everything reasonably expected to offer a solution."

A stark contrast to what I've heard about Arctic Armour warranty/returns.  ;D
Tight lines

Offline moab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2011, 03:19 PM »
Just got one.  Havent used it yet but fit and quality seem good.  Only wish was the big red bobber on the bib and jacket werent embrioddered on (just looks goofy to me).  Hopefully put it to use this weekend.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2011, 09:16 AM »
moab - you got the striker?  big red bobber? how's the fit?
Tight lines

Offline zen_grasshopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2011, 06:11 PM »
Just received my Striker Lite suit.  I am going to send it back for a size down.  I am 6'4", 245 lbs with a 40" waist and 52" chest and it is a bit too big and I ordered the 2XL.  I would definitely go down a size if you want to order the Striker.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2011, 07:51 PM »
thanks for the specific size advice Zen!
Tight lines

Offline moab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2011, 09:13 PM »
I've been out with the Striker suit 3 times now and I am happy with the fit and function of it.  Piece of mind  knowing that it floats as well.  I'm 5'10 185 and got a Large coat and medium bibs.  When i first tried them on was worried that Medium might have been too tight once on the ice moving around but i think it was the right size.  I've used it in single digits outside all day and was plenty warm.   So far, so good.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2011, 03:02 PM »
Just my luck.  All the horror stories about thin ice made me break down and buy Artic Armor suites for both my Son and I for Xmas.  Now it sounds like I should have tried the Striker instead.  I guess someone is always coming out with the "new best thing". 
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline beavercreekoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2011, 11:26 AM »
Ordered my Striker suit today from Red Rock.  Can't wait to get it :tipup:   :tipup:

Offline beavercreekoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2011, 02:28 PM »
Just got my Striker Ice suit today from Red Rock Store.  I am about 6'01" 205-210lbs, 36" waist, 32" inseam.  I ordered the XL jacket and L bibs.  The jacket fits perfect.  The bibs fit a little on the slim side, I feel that I'm on the edge of L/XL.  The jacket has plenty of room for a long underwear top and fleece layer, with a little extra room for comfort.  The bibs fit nice with long johns, but would be a little snug with a second layer under them.  With the reviews on how warm the suit is, I'm sure a pair of long johns (top and bottom) and a fleece top under the suit will be more than enough to be comfortable in cold conditions.  The adjustment on the bib length is very simple and straight forward - took about 30 seconds per side to shorten to a more comfortable length.  The suit looks well made with tons of pockets.  I can't wait to get out on the ice to try it out!!!

Offline flatlandy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:17 AM »
Got my Striker Lite yesterday. One hell of a suit, it is well made, warm, and tons of features. Definitely happy with my purchase.

For those who already have it, what do you do for the snow skirt when you shorten the bibs?

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2011, 12:25 PM »
I undid the sno skirt, 'hemmed' up the legs one notch and then dropped the skirt back down, and found no problems?
Tight lines

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2011, 12:37 PM »
here's my review with pics....
I ordered the Striker Ice suit online, so I had no chance to try it on and do a direct comparison to the competition – and not much in the way of user reviews to go on being that suit it so new.  The few reviews I found really sold me on the suit ‘sight unseen’ – and the pre-sales customer support I received was amazing.  I asked many very specific questions of the company concerning warranty, materials, design and details and all were answered within a few hours by Shawn K – big thumbs up!
Please excuse the photo quality
First Impression:
I took the suit out of the box and was pleasantly surprised to see the jacket and bibs both came with extra button hardware ( a nice touch to accompany the warranty )
Having ordered the regular suit (not the lite version) I was surprised at how light the suit was.  I have tried on all the major float suits and this one seems light and malleable.  The material is flexible and slightly ‘pre-shaped’ in the knees and elbows.
The styling was a nice blue-ish grey with black trim, white highly reflective banding and best of all, SUBTLE branding…I don’t want to be a walking billboard.

The Details:
I don’t think I can summarize all the intricacies of this suit as I’ve only worn it for about 15 minutes.  Our grass is still green and wearing this suit in the house is pretty warm.  Every time I put this suit on I find a new expandable, pocket drawstring, clip or zipper and they are all very well thought out with placement and pocket design.  Some easy access fleece lined hand-warmer type, some large ‘cargo’ style expandable button top, and several water tight zipper pockets, along with ‘zip through’ to get at stuff inside or make that awkward scratch easier.

The little extras:
Most of the above mentioned features you will find on one suit or another, here are some key features that tell me a true outdoorsman had a say in the suit’s design:
The suit is 100% water proof, but we all know how water on the ice tends to find it’s way through gaps in outwear – the inside leg cuffs have an extra splash guard with elastic and button closure:

As well as ankle to hip zips:

And for anyone that’s ever lost something down the hole or in the snow, a great place for keys  (zipper small pocket on the sleeve):

Additional interior cuffs are soft and water proof:

And the ingenious idea of customizable cuffs – a simple, super strong velco cuff:
Fully extended (note the bands of velco moving up the leg, these are “hem points”

And as a 6’ tall guy, rolling up the cuffs to the mid-way point tells me tall or short, you should have a good fit
Rolling up the cuffs:

Finished “hem” job:

And then there’s the venting…I can’t believe this is a “revolutionary” idea for a float suit meant to be worn for sporting:

The magnetic closures over the zips (legs and coat) are a nice touch, as is the 3 way zip on the coat and bibs:

makes an easy access for bathroom breaks.  The pliable wire brim in the (detachable) hood is another breakthrough I wish I had on all my coats.  And then there’s this James Bond-esque feature (Beveridge not included):

Some shots of how the suit looks/fits:

Notice where the padded knees are – I jacked up the suspenders and rolled up the cuffs and they are still in the right spot – nicely padded knees and seat.

I’m sure there’s some features I haven’t found yet – so feel free to ask questions, I wish I’d had this info before buying, would’ve made the decision much easier.  I will report back details of how it handles the cold and wet once we get some ice!  Based on my initial findings I would highly recommend this suit both for safety and warmth.
The Fit: I’d say, tall and somewhat slim.  I’m 6’ 180lbs, 36 waist.  I ordered the large bibs and coat and they fit great.  Enough room for a layer or two and not at all bulky.
The suits fit very close to their sizing chart http://www.strikerbrands.com/store/c/20-Striker-Ice.aspx
Tight lines

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2011, 01:17 PM »
I don't know what's more impressive:  the suit itself or DL's photos.  Nice job in showing the rest of us all the features. 
Anyone want to buy an Artic Armor suit cheap?   ;D
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline 80thdiv313fa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2011, 05:00 PM »
Thanks for the pics TheDL, it looks like I made the right decision. I cant wait until my Striker suit arrives  ;D

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:38 PM »
I don't know what's more impressive:  the suit itself or DL's photos.  Nice job in showing the rest of us all the features.  ;D
thanks, I couldn't find this detail anywhere before I ordered one so I figured some might find it helpfull...and I really like it too, can ya' tell  ::)
Tight lines

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2011, 04:33 AM »
SNOSUIT bibs and parka, top of the line, will never get cold
da splake chaser

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.