Author Topic: Cleats ?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline bigyellowdog

• IceShanty Rookie
Cleats ?
« on: Dec 30, 2010, 01:09 PM »
Ok what do you guys recomend that would work well on Muck artic pro boot, love the boots but our local lake is like glass right now and I slid at least 20 feet running for a flag yesterday, found out my new idi suit slides well and missed the run anyhow, no harm just a good laugh but can see its time to get some metal between me and the ice, thanks.
you skin Grizz, pilgrim?

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Cleats ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2010, 02:02 PM »
Ok what do you guys recomend that would work well on Muck artic pro boot, love the boots but our local lake is like glass right now and I slid at least 20 feet running for a flag yesterday, found out my new idi suit slides well and missed the run anyhow, no harm just a good laugh but can see its time to get some metal between me and the ice, thanks.

I have never fallen on my butt while wearing yaktrax. Have had the same pair for 4 years and you dont have to take em off in the parking lot like you do with spikes.

J-

Offline dml78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2010, 05:23 PM »
I was wondering the same. Just got the muck arctic extreme boots. I think they are about the same as the pros except maybe a little wider due to extra insulation. I was thinking of getting the yaktrax XTR cleats. Anyone try these with the muck arctic boots?

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2010, 07:59 PM »
I've had the best luck with Cabelas boot chains. They don't break when opening an old hole with your heel. And they don't tear up the kitchen floor either. Decent traction on wet clear ice. Spikes are the best traction but you need to weigh out the disadvantages of each type to decide what to get.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:03 PM »
do you only use these boots for ice fishing?  if you do maybe think about putting self tappers in the bottom of them.  i did it to my pac boots and it works really well and i dont have to worry about them packing up with snow.  there are times when its snow and then no snow.  and i have notice that i walked a lot more natural.  something to think about.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2011, 06:20 PM »
If you really insist on running and winning the race, get crampons.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2011, 01:57 PM »
I owned a pair of Yaktrax when they first came out a few years ago. They didn't last a week.  VERY disappointed in them.

I currently have a pair of Strikemaster.   They have a tendency to come off. Currently I'm working on modifying them by adding mini-bungy cords to better secure them to my boot.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline crappiekid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2011, 03:10 PM »
Studded my Cabelas trans Alalakan boot with sheet metal screws not bad had 'em for 3yrs. . This year I replaced them with 1/2 " motorcycle /atv ice racing studs ,super sharp great bite .Remember not to walk into home with them will rip it real quick.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2011, 04:01 PM »
Studs seen the way to go, but the wife would castrate me if I wore studded boots into the house.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.