Author Topic: antero skunk ? help please?  (Read 3021 times)

Offline FINSNGILS

• IceShanty Rookie
antero skunk ? help please?
« on: Dec 16, 2007, 11:02 PM »
I went to antero on Saturday and got skunked. I fished off the south side of the dam about two to three hundred yards out, 15-18 feet deep. I saw fish on the vexlar but couldn't get them to bite, I tried several different spots and almost everything in my tackle box but still no luck, any help would be greatly apprecited.

Offline Ambystoma

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: antero skunk ? help please?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:43 AM »
Antero is not always a given. It slows down as the season progresses. What lures were you using? Were you tipping your lure with bait. Were you actively jigging or deadsticking? What time of day?  Theres many more variables that could of contributed to your skunk. Were other people catching anything? Sometimes they just don't want to bite.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:47 AM »
Anybody heard if Chatfield has any ice?????

Offline RLS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2007, 09:08 AM »
Anybody heard if Chatfield has any ice?????
I looked at it last sunday the 12/9.  The southwest end had about 1" of ice and the lake was frozen between fox run and catfish flats.  after this last weekend it should be fishable on the southside.  I'll probably check it out this week and post my findings. 

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2007, 02:29 PM »
I appreciate it RLS

Offline FINSNGILS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2007, 03:04 PM »
I tried jigging Swedish pimples, cast masters, multiple tipped jigs with mealys, waxies and power grubs, I used to do really well up there with all three, heck I even tried power bait!!  I only saw one fish pulled out, but most of the guys out there were in huts.  I did my normal, jigging with the cast master until I saw one on the flasher and then start jigging the little jigs. I was just wondering if i was the only one that got the skunk or If I need to get some different stuff?

Offline stockhunter20

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Addicted to the outdoors
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2007, 03:18 PM »
....I was just wondering if i was the only one that got the skunk or If I need to get some different stuff?

No, you were not the only one to get skunked. Me and my dad didn't get anything either, saw em on the marcum, but no bites. Our friend who was there before us caught 1 @ 7lbs! (yes we had a scale)

The next day our other friend and his buddies caught there limit. Maybe the problem was the fact it was -35!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? lol that was the coldest day of my life.

Offline BIG-A

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2007, 06:10 PM »
I WAS THERE ON SUNDAY TO WE DID QUITE WELL.TRY DEAD STICKING ,AND PINK JIGS. IT WORKED FOR ME.

Offline FINSNGILS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2007, 07:09 PM »
Well that makes me feel better, I was wondering if I had lost it!! lol.   It was pretty cold, I didn't think of that.
 Ill try dead stickin it next time, I was pretty active with the jigs.  Thanks for the reassurance and tips guys.

Offline SUCKERMEAT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ANYWHERE!!!! ANYTIME!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2007, 09:39 PM »
The next day our other friend and his buddies caught there limit. Maybe the problem was the fact it was -35!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? lol that was the coldest day of my life.

We caught all ours in 11 ft of water using pink, white or Chartrouse ratsos tipped with mealworms or waxies. Most come deadsticked, I would say get shallower and try sight fishing you would be surprised at how many fish are missed!

Offline stockhunter20

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Addicted to the outdoors
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:14 PM »

We caught all ours in 11 ft of water using pink, white or Chartrouse ratsos tipped with mealworms or waxies. Most come deadsticked, I would say get shallower and try sight fishing you would be surprised at how many fish are missed!
Thanks, i'll try that next time.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2007, 06:15 PM »
Suckermeat speaks the truth! I for sure would start shallower. I caught most of my fish in 8ft. of water, half way up. Wouldn't of known it if I didn't see them. If you're fishing on the bottom, you're probably missing alot of fish. Sight fishing also helps in your hook setting since they may be hitting light.

Offline FINSNGILS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2007, 07:48 PM »
Yep I was right on the bottom, maby one foot up if not less. I didn't look down the holes when the flasher was showing fish, I dont know why, I normmaly do??. Im going to have to try that in shallower water this weekend. Im defenatly going to get some more pink and chartruse jigs.
 Thanks for the help everyone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.