Author Topic: Who's going where this weekend.... How'd you do??  (Read 20683 times)

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
Who's going where this weekend.... How'd you do??
« on: Jan 04, 2007, 10:25 PM »
We're going to Skaguay. Kids love the trout action. I'm going to try a tip-up near the inlet. Still trying for that first northern. Made myself a "quick strike" rig and topping it off with sucker meat. Stop and say "Hi" if you're in the neighborhood.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Re: Who's going where this weekend.... How'd you do??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2007, 02:15 AM »
I'm gonna go to rio blanco and catch catfish and pike through the ice.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline colorado_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2007, 09:13 AM »
Hi Prairiegoat

I'm supposed to be taking a newbie and son out to 11 Mile but given the new snowstorm and the ice fishing tournament we may opt for Skaguay.  If we do I'll try to get to the inlet and get some pike action with you.  Depends on the snow conditions whether I opt to walk that far.  I'll have an old Frabill Venture hut an dthere will be 3 of us crammed in there if it's windy.

Colorado

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2007, 11:46 AM »
Colorado,

I'm with you about walking all the way to the inlet given the weather conditions. One local told me that right off the parking area dock is good for pike too. May try that if can't get way down the lake. Ain't as young as I use to be! Hope to meet you, Colorado.

Prairiegoat

Offline colorado_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2007, 12:22 PM »
Same here.  Your photo looks like it was taken just around the bend from the boat ramp at Skaguay.  I haven't fished at Skaguay since 1985-6 but I've been there twice this year already due to 11 Mile winds.  I haven't fished close to the ramp but found 20 FOW and caught fish after fish (stockers).  Only able to fish one rod and the best thing was that I didn't even have to tip it with a waxie or mealie.  They just hammered bare jigs.

Can't guarantee that we'll be at Skaguay but if we are I'll have the Frabill hut.  Once it warms up I like to fish outside so you may see me in my lawnchair.

Good luck!!

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2007, 08:31 AM »
My friend Brian and I are leaving around 8:30 for Skaquay. All the kids are staying home. Guess the 6 degree temp made that decision. Let everyone know tonight how things went. Hope someone posts how the tournament went at 11 Mile today. ;D ;D

Offline bzboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2007, 10:47 PM »
Went to skaguay this afternoon. Fished from noon to 3pm. We caught probably 40 fish during that time - all 10-14inch stock rainbows. We fished about 100 yards from the parking lot in 28 ft of water. almost all of the action was in the bottom 5-7 ft of water. pink / white/ jigs tipped with waxworms or powerbait. Lots of fun. one group of guys came from elevenmile reservoir and said action there was very very slow.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2007, 02:43 AM »
Brian and I caught somewhere around 60 to 75 trout and I caught 1 northern in the 8 to 9 class............... inches that is! Should have done that at 11 Mile Tourney where it might have been worth the $300 for smallest northern! We went quite a ways up the lake and fished 12 to 16 feet of water. Tough pulling sleds through the 6 to 8" of snow. Really windy all day and constant struggle to keep holes open from drifting snow. Temp probably 20 with wind chills down to zero. But we fared pretty well even without a shelter.

BZ that must have been you coming off the ice at 3. We were in the blue PU and had the yellow lab along. We are probably going back tomorrow but not for sure yet if we might try 11 mile by Stoll.

Offline bzboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2007, 09:51 AM »
Yup that was me. Were you the guys way up towards the inlet?

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2007, 10:46 AM »
BZBOY.. We were the ones up near the inlet. Sure tough pulling the sled through all the snow and what a wind! I'm shot today; so staying home. I see there are high wind warnings out anyway.

Offline basscat75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2007, 05:38 PM »
I fished the 11mile tourney, and had a terrible day, fishing was great, or i should say hooking them was great, but landing them was a different story. With temps at 20 below in the morning, evrything froze up. Had a huge cutthroat( which i havent seen many of in the past few years) on a pink foxy jig, and my reel was frozen, i couldnt do a thing except try and handline her in, I lost that battle. Had another good bow probably in the 6 lb range, just come off after a 10 minute fight. Had 3 pike on all in the 30 to 36 inch range, and broke 2 off and lost the other, but when they hit small jigs on 6 lb test, the odds are in there favor. Had tip ups set up for a good 3 hrs, and not 1 flag, but they were very active and dint want a dead sucker , the bait had to really be moving, saw about 15 trout and only landed 3, saw about 10 good pike and goose egged on them. I hate tournaments sometimes, allwasy seem like if something is going to go wrong it happens then.

Fishing in generall was really tough for most guys with allmost half of the 84 teams not weighing any or just 1 fish.

The winning weight for salmon was just over 7lbs and big salmon was under 2lbs
The winning weight for trout was over 15 and big trout was a little over 6
The winning weight for pike was a whooping 40 lbs and big fish was over 20, or so the scale said, but that fish didnt look 20 to  me and many others but who knows, it was still a nice pike.

Our 3 trout weighed  9lbs 9 oz, and missed the money by about 8 onces, all in all not a bad day except for the walk out and in, and we went very light, pack shacks , and 2 sleds with auger and rods and vexs, and it killed us, but we walked a long ways in 10 inches of snow.

11 mile is fishing well for the guys that know where and how to fish it, bbut for most its been very tough.  Many of the areas that are getting lots of pressure have slowed way down, but those fish are still close by, just move out abit and fish in about 15 to 20 ft for numbers of trout. Color differs daily but pinks and oranges have been the most consistent.

That is all for now, but ill keep updating as i go. May try Twin next week for some macks, but i might go to 11mile again, cause there are alot of big fish cruising the area ive been going ;)

Good luck and be safe, and happy New Years

Jim Douglas

If any of you guys want to chat or go with me sometimes, send me a PM, my fee is very reasonable LOL..
Just kidding. Hit me up if you want to chat or go.

Offline bzboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2007, 09:38 PM »
Basscat thanks for the great report. If your consulting fee is not too expensive i'll PM you for some advice.  ;D
Yesterday was my first time out this year so I didnt want to venture out to 11 mile so I went easy and went to skaguay. Had lots of fun there. I got a new 8 inch strikemaster hand auger and got a whole bunch of new jigs clearance sale from dicks sporting goods. More importantly I just had my second son born mid december so I've been staying home with my two boys. But hopefully soon they'll come out with me.

Offline basscat75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2007, 05:00 PM »
Basscat thanks for the great report. If your consulting fee is not too expensive i'll PM you for some advice.  ;D
Yesterday was my first time out this year so I didnt want to venture out to 11 mile so I went easy and went to skaguay. Had lots of fun there. I got a new 8 inch strikemaster hand auger and got a whole bunch of new jigs clearance sale from dicks sporting goods. More importantly I just had my second son born mid december so I've been staying home with my two boys. But hopefully soon they'll come out with me.
Hit me up anytime, i dont charge anything, LOL, Congrats on your new boy.

Offline colorado_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2007, 05:48 PM »
JD

Good reporting - you spill your guts!

Tough luck with the big fish and the frozen reel.  I took out a couple of newbies to 11 Mile in the AM on Saturday and fished the small cove just west of the marina store.  We caught 1 18" bow in 15FOW and only saw 2 others.  The ranger station had it at -22 in the AM but others have reported -31.  Glad I had the hut and the heater.  We went over to Skaguay around noontime and caught a bunch there in 25FOW.  No surprises. 

I've never fished Twin and am considering going there Saturday with another buddy.  What's a reasonable area to fish - c'mon now, spill your guts like 11 Mile!!   ;D  By the way, I've fished that area from Goose Island west and it's one of my go-to areas.  Great fish and fairly consistent for 11 Mile, about 3-4 per day.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2007, 07:31 PM »
Hey Colorado were you the guys with the house on the east side of Skaguay? We left around 3:30. Went quite a ways north. Maybe we'll hook up sometime.

Brian and I are going out tomorrow. Maybe try 11 Mile according to Basscat's info. Suppose to be the only nice day this week; so taking a day off work. Gotta have priorities!!!!

Offline colorado_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2007, 10:27 AM »
Prairiegoat,

We pulled out at 3Pm and left the parking lot by 3:15.  Once the sun goes down on the dam it gets cold fast.

Good luck at the Mile - looking for your report.

Colorado

Offline basscat75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2007, 07:42 PM »
JD

Good reporting - you spill your guts!

Tough luck with the big fish and the frozen reel.  I took out a couple of newbies to 11 Mile in the AM on Saturday and fished the small cove just west of the marina store.  We caught 1 18" bow in 15FOW and only saw 2 others.  The ranger station had it at -22 in the AM but others have reported -31.  Glad I had the hut and the heater.  We went over to Skaguay around noontime and caught a bunch there in 25FOW.  No surprises. 

I've never fished Twin and am considering going there Saturday with another buddy.  What's a reasonable area to fish - c'mon now, spill your guts like 11 Mile!!   ;D  By the way, I've fished that area from Goose Island west and it's one of my go-to areas.  Great fish and fairly consistent for 11 Mile, about 3-4 per day.

Ive only fished Twin a couple times through the ice, and have had limited succes, Mainly cause its hard to get to where i want to go. Flume point is the best area, fish about 25 to 30 ft of water, with white or green tubes or airplane jigs tipped with a piece of sucker meat, but you have to drive or take a snowmoblie over to flume point, and im not to keen on driving my truck out there, but people do.

I havent spilled my guts on the mile, LOL, just helping out as i can, but i wont tell everything, like where ive been fishing, thats a secret.LOL, but i can see withchers, howbarts, Goose, the boatramp, etc, etc. LOL

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2007, 08:03 PM »
I went to Rogers Mtn today. Brian couldn't make it. Got there around 8:30 and caught a fat 16" rainbow around 10:30 that took me four times to the hole before landing it. Biggest one I ever caught in Colorado and I've lived here over 20 years. Then surprise, surprise my tip up went off for the first time this year after 7 outtings and I got an 18" pike. Maybe not too big by some standards but I can't remember being that excited fishing in probably 40 years! Had one more strike on the tip up but lost that one. All in all... my best day fishing in Colorado. I'll definitely be back at 11 Mile. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks Basscat!!!!! Hope we can meet one of these days.

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2007, 08:09 PM »
I went to Rogers Mtn today. Brian couldn't make it. Got there around 8:30 and caught a fat 16" rainbow around 10:30 that took me four times to the hole before landing it. Biggest one I ever caught in Colorado and I've lived here over 20 years. Then surprise, surprise my tip up went off for the first time this year after 7 outtings and I got an 18" pike. Maybe not too big by some standards but I can't remember being that excited fishing in probably 40 years! Had one more strike on the tip up but lost that one. All in all... my best day fishing in Colorado. I'll definitely be back at 11 Mile. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks Basscat!!!!! Hope we can meet one of these days.
That 18" pike is what we call bait!!  But listen, I didn't even know you had pike in Colorado!!
Winter is the time of year toward which all that has gone before
seems but a preparation....winter, a quiet acceptance of what is
to come....Sigurd F. Olsen

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2007, 08:16 PM »
That 18" pike is what we call bait!!  But listen, I didn't even know you had pike in Colorado!!

The other thing we don't have in Colorado is people who make smart alec remarks about other fisherman's catch.

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2007, 08:27 PM »
The other thing we don't have in Colorado is people who make smart alec remarks about other fisherman's catch.
  I apologize...and realize I was perhaps out of line.  I grew up in Rocky Ford, years ago, and as a kid
fished the east slope with my dad...for trout.  I honestly didn't know there were pike in colorado.  And I do apologize
if you were offended.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2007, 09:52 PM »
I'm not exactly sure when they were introduced,but it was to cut down on sucker populations in places like 11-mile and Spinney.You may have
already moved from CO.

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2007, 09:55 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Occasionally I head back south to visit my mom, didn't realize that I can get "Northern" pike down there.
Has it gotten rid of the suckers?  They were always a problem.  BTW, if I do head down in the winter, where are the best places to
ice-fish?

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2007, 11:20 PM »
LOL,I don't know if the suckers are gone or if they were a problem at all being bottom feeders.By reading the posts you'll be able to find some worthy
places to fish.Guys like slayerfish,basscat,and tfb, have kindly posted some nice photos of fish at places that obviously produce.I fish 11-mile most of all
because I live 15 mi. from it.

Offline basscat75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2007, 09:53 PM »
Awesome man, sounds like you had fun. Allthough that 18 inch pike wasnt huge, i know what you mean about exciting when you see that flag up, casue you dont know if its a 18 incher or a 18lbr or even bigger..... Im glad that info helped you out. Check your pm as well

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2007, 07:22 PM »
Went to 11 Mile today and caught three fish.  :) The rainbow was 19" and the kokanee was 18.5". At least that what another fellow told me it was. Let me know if you can identify it, OK. Wish the pike was 15 pounds instead of 15 inches.  ;D Weather was a lot better there today than in the Springs. Said high in town was only 7 degrees. Sunny all day at 11 Mile and the wind went from calm to not so bad.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2007, 06:37 AM »
-15 to -25 wind chill, but we're going to 11 Mile today!! Can't let those trout and northern have a rest.

Offline SUCKERMEAT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ANYWHERE!!!! ANYTIME!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2007, 09:34 AM »
Looks like a bow to me, but I could be wrong.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2007, 09:40 AM »

I want to come out to Colorado and latch onto one of those pike some members from Colorado claim are too big girth wise to come through a 10 inch hole, never seen a pike get stuck coming through a hole that big....Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2007, 07:41 PM »
I want to come out to Colorado and latch onto one of those pike some members from Colorado claim are too big girth wise to come through a 10 inch hole, never seen a pike get stuck coming through a hole that big....Esox

Did some quick calculations concerning girth and hole size cause that seemed quite a statement to me too!

10" is the largest legal hole you can drill in the ice in Colorado.

Girth is the actual circumference of the hole.

6" hole: 40" length X 18.85" girth = 15.8 lbs.
8" hole: 44" length X 25.13" girth = 30.8 lbs. Colorado record northern is 30 lbs. 11 oz.
10" hole: 48" length X 31.42" girth = 52.65 lbs.

Looks to me like there is a world record northern lurking in Colorado waters! That would be a little hard for me to believe, but I guess anything is possible! We do have Tiger Muskies with the state record a shade over 40 lbs; so there could be a monster one lurking out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.