Author Topic: Heading to the Blue Mesa tomorrow  (Read 1211 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Heading to the Blue Mesa tomorrow
« on: Mar 05, 2013, 09:46 AM »
Will post pictures of some nice fish when I get back. Fingers crossed. Got my New Marcum Troller to use this time out. And I can't let the wife out fish me again with it.
<===Lefty===

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
Re: Heading to the Blue Mesa tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2013, 02:07 PM »
Going out to Blue this weekend for a Sat/Sun trip.  I look forward to exchanging notes, observations and success stories with you.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2013, 06:11 PM »
Going out to Blue this weekend for a Sat/Sun trip.  I look forward to exchanging notes, observations and success stories with you.

Will do, I will post tomorrow when I get back and clean all my fish. Fingers crossed again. I usually only bring home 2 or 3 fish to eat. The wife doesn't eat ,clean or like the smell of them in the house. She just likes catching them.
<===Lefty===

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2013, 08:46 PM »
Good luck guys!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2013, 06:44 PM »
Boy was it a slow day. This is one slow year as well. The wife and I only caught 3 fish and she caught 2 so I am the looser again. I did manage to catch the biggest one though. Only about a 16" Rainbow. My Marcum Troller worked great. I saw fish come down and go up to my lures/jigs but they just didn't hit anything. The 3 fish were all caught in the 10:15-10:45 Am time zone. Just a few more bites after that.
Heading to Denver to go Fishing with a friend to either 11 Mile or Antero on Tuesday.
<===Lefty===

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2013, 11:27 PM »
GL in South Park. It seems to me like late season on Blue the trout only get hungry about once every 3 days or less. I usually switch to lakers for the last time and they start hitting better.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2013, 07:01 AM »
I forgot to mention this but the wife said to me once. Look there is a fish just below the ice. We were in a tent and you could see fish just below the ice moving around. So we would pull the line up to the top of the hole and slowly let it drop. Saw the fish follow it all the way down but never hit it. In fact one of the fish the wife caught she was watching her lure drop when she saw a fish shake at it and then hit the lure. She was really excited about that catch. I can't repeat what she said as it is against forum rules.
<===Lefty===

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2013, 11:38 AM »
Sorry to hear about the slow action Lefty.  We're still heading up there in the early morning.  It looks like Gunnison is not going to get much snow.  I'll post a report on Monday.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2013, 01:21 PM »
Sorry to hear about the slow action Lefty.  We're still heading up there in the early morning.  It looks like Gunnison is not going to get much snow.  I'll post a report on Monday.

I'm sure you will find fish. Seems like last year I couldn't help but catch a lot of fish and this year is on and off at best.
<===Lefty===

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2013, 03:14 PM »
Well, On and Off was a good description of our experience.  We totalled about 40 lakers landed between 3 of us and lost an equal number.  Fished around the west end of the lake in water ranging from 35 to 160 feet deep.  A lot of fish were suspended from 40-60 feet - lakers, not kokanee.  Likely chasing kokanee though.  One of us caught two lakers over 30"  both released.  The rest ranged from dinks to 23".  Caught one 16" brown (and that's exaggerating).  0:)

It's always a great trip to Blue and this one was no different.  The lake is way down though, 67 feet according to one source.  Plan accordingly if you go.

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2013, 06:48 PM »
Nice to know a few nice fish are starting to bite. I'm tempted to go one more time but the Black Canyon river browns are calling my name...........good trp n report.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.