The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: New strikemaster Honda has a 10" drill  (Read 2065 times)

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
New strikemaster Honda has a 10" drill
« on: Sep 05, 2013, 06:31 PM »
Was just looking at the SM web page, there is a 10"drill option on the Honda for the coming year.

Offline tundra redneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New strikemaster Honda has a 10" drill
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2013, 08:14 PM »
I thought about getting one but I heard that the 8's seemed under powered at times(only some online reviews) but I ended up getting a really good deal on a pro4, I like the idea of propane

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2013, 05:22 AM »
Both 8" and 10" utilize the same  33cc 4 stroke engine. An augers power is mainly derived through the transmission gearing. Lots of 33-36cc augers out there with 10" blades that go through 28" of ice with no problem. Mine does.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2013, 09:41 AM »
Both 8" and 10" utilize the same  33cc 4 stroke engine. An augers power is mainly derived through the transmission gearing. Lots of 33-36cc augers out there with 10" blades that go through 28" of ice with no problem. Mine does.
You do have a good memory!!!!!  :woot: ;)2
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2013, 04:18 PM »
So I wonder if they have the same gear ratio? The thickness of the ice really shouldn't matter so long as the drill can evacuate the chips.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2013, 10:16 AM »
So I wonder if they have the same gear ratio? The thickness of the ice really shouldn't matter so long as the drill can evacuate the chips.

True, but the engine is under load at that point, and if you do a lot of hole hopping, sometimes bigger IS better.  ;D Kinda like that 4 cyl little truck pulling your boat all day, I'd rather do it with my 5.4 Triton....

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2013, 07:41 AM »
One other thing the Reb may have had in his chock full noggin, but didn't point out YET... when you get heavy cold temps that create bone crushing hard ice that's also thick (depth) - then the engine size, trans ratio, and auger cutting size reveal if you have the right tool for the job

My 8" MO Stingray (33cc) doesn't lift the ice out as far or as well as a the 40 or 70cc class augers do when it's 24" ice that's hip crushing hard.  Ole MO does it, just needs a little help from Das Boot (with clearing ice away from the hole's edge)
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2013, 09:35 AM »
So are you guys saying that this isn't the right tool for an Ice Troller?  I like to punch a lot of holes and I liked the weight of this auger.

Maybe the lazer pro would be a better choice.  It is only 2 lbs heavier, but a 54cc motor should cut faster, which is worth the 2lbs to me.
If you want a country run by religion....Move to Iran.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2013, 11:18 AM »
My noggin is a plethora of chock-full fascinating info.  When using an engine under load in extreme conditons, always opt for the bigger, stronger engine. No reason to pound the smaller engine to it's limits.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2013, 01:50 PM »
My noggin is a plethora of chock-full fascinating info.  When using an engine under load in extreme conditons, always opt for the bigger, stronger engine. No reason to pound the smaller engine to it's limits.
Sounds like a good idea.  I know when I have hard work to do around here I get the younger stronger Grandson. No since pounding this wore out body.
<===Lefty===

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2013, 02:42 PM »
Sounds like a good idea.  I know when I have hard work to do around here I get the younger stronger Grandson. No since pounding this wore out body.

My Grandpa always calls that finding a strong back with a weak mind.
If you want a country run by religion....Move to Iran.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2013, 02:52 PM »

ha!! That made my day.  :clap: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2013, 10:08 PM »
I have 3 augers and the best one with the 10" bit is my 3hp Tecumseh Strikemaster  Cobra but my Tanaka TIA 305 is a close 2nd and weighs next to nothing.  ;D
My Eskimo Mako sucks compared to either of those powerheads. Although it runs the 8" shaver bit that it came with OK.
But even with it's own bit it stalls breaking through the bottom of the hole.
The Tanaka tends to bog down a bit with the 10" Strikemaster chipper bit but is better than the Eskimo.
The 3HP Techuseh doesn't bog but when the ice is over 3' thick you need to lift to clear the flutes.
It does not bog when breaking through but is quite a bit heavier than the Tanaka or Eskimo.  :D

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2013, 07:21 PM »
brink the honda is still avalible with the 8in bit. they just added the 10 as an option this year. I love the idea of the honda i just haven't seen enough of them to drop the cash.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.