Author Topic: Ice Fishing Shelters  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Leppa82

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Fishing Shelters
« on: Sep 09, 2020, 12:04 PM »
Hey all, would like as much valuable feedback as possible since I'm trying to find the best possible/easy solution for a new ice fishing shelter.  I like the pull over shelters the best (Otter) but looking for feedback.  Would be nice to fit in the box of my truck (66" truckbed) and be a 3 person tent.  Thanks all.

**I would still even entertain something smaller and mint condition that was built on a trailer frame that can easily lower/lift up and down off the ice to pull behind truck under $3500.  Let me know!!!

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice Fishing Shelters
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2020, 12:26 PM »
Otter has always been the best brand on the market for shacks. Eskimo is releasing a new lineup of flip shacks this year that more or less look like they copied the Otter design with the side doors. If cost isn't a concern I wouldn't buy anything except otter. Eskimo would be my #2 choice if factoring in cost. You get what you pay for applies IMO. I personally only have experience with Frabill, Clam and Otter shacks.
Da Pack!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2020, 02:02 PM »
how are you planning on getting a 3 man flip in and out of the truck bed and on the ice? That might be the single most important deciding factor in what product would work best for you. Loading and unloading a 250lb shack into a truck bed is not going to be fun unless you use ramps and a winch. At that point you might as well get a light weight vnose style enclosed trailer and outfit it for ice. Pulling either onto the ice is going to be atv/sled territory...

Catchin' Fish

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2020, 09:35 AM »
what about a pop up shack  easy to get it up and ready and if really cold can throw a small heater in and good for the day?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2020, 10:26 AM »
Not sure why you want a 3 man flip, but I use to provide shelter for friends that didn't have shelter so we could stay out longer. Smokers ruined my shelter so I sold it to a smoker who didn't care about the nasty smell it had.

I bought a single flip over after they ruined my first shelter and they ended up doing the same.

Later I bought large hubs for family and either non smokers or smokers who would smoke out of my tent.

Most of the time I take my one man flip as it is the easiest to use in every way. Most days it just hauls my gear until the sun sets, then I use the tent, also on windy days and to stop line freeze.

I'd recommend a one man flip and a pop up knowing what I know now. Your friend's will get their own shelter and can go when they want and same for you.

I have two one man flips, both inulated and two four man pop up hubs, one inulated and one two man suitcase shanty.

We don't get ice you can drive trucks and trailers  onto. So we always hand pull. Some private lakes we fish have no access to even if you could drive on them.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2020, 10:48 AM »
Considering many years of experience, I bought a very large 2 man and If I had to do it all over again I would just buy a 1 man flip over. Because of the weight I only bring it when the ice is thick enough for wheelers. I also only have a 6.6' bed and I can barely close the tailgate, but because it could possibly rub and the weight I always use a trailer to haul it. I thought I would always have another person in the seat but over the years I came to realize kids and friends dont always like to go but the guys that are really into it have their own shelters.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2020, 04:00 PM »
we cooked lunch once in the pop up   never again  may as well lit it on fire after

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2020, 11:46 AM »
Going with either the Eskimo Quickfish 3 or a similar one made by Ferret that is insulated at only 24#. Got some good reviews too. Flip overs are handier/quicker set ups but are generally heavier and space is less than hubs. Jmo.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.