Author Topic: shappell bay runner 2  (Read 18089 times)

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
shappell bay runner 2
« on: Nov 30, 2017, 03:38 AM »
anyone ever use this shanty. my son wants  one for christmas, the true value in calumet has one built and on display so i am going to go look at it.
da splake chaser

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: shappell bay runner 2
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2017, 10:09 AM »
i fished next to a man who liked his. it's a crossover from their cabin to flip over. being in it in winds would make me nervous.
also the slip protection on your boots could pose to be a problem ie: micro spikes. i quit using mine right away in part because it will destroy this type of floor and this floor is in my shappell dx3000.

some info on the bay runner
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=260819.0

www.shappell.com/iceshelters/bayrunnersledcabin.html

One Year Warranty
Model:   BR1000
Style:  Sled Based Cabin
Size:    44" x 60" x 61" High, Set Up.
            44" x 60" x 18.5", Folded.
Wt:       65 lbs.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2017, 10:11 AM »
Has anyone sat in the bay runner 2 it looks like the small size difference and 90 degree flip may make it fish a lot bigger

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2017, 03:41 AM »
i went up to the true value in calumet and actually sat in the one they had built. there really is a lot of room, 2 people could really spread out, i love the large bench seat and the shelf right in front of me for the flasher. the whole unit collapses down to 18" high. the 2 man eskimo flip over is a great looking unit also, really helps to be able to sit in them and see exactly what youre getting.
da splake chaser

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2017, 08:27 PM »
i saw two bay runners today at knutsons in michigan. i bought the only fx100 insulated they got it by mistake. looking forward to using it.

here's some shots of the bay runner 2. it looks like it was about 10 inches taller and 10 inches deeper from the doors compared to the br1. you still can't stand up in them, but the runner 2 is the one i would pick if i wanted a pull cabin. the br1 is blue walls while the br2 is black walls. also the br1 is dual floor doors while the br2 is one long door. this would make lining up ice holes easier. i am surprised they didn't carpet the tub floor like they do on all their other cabin floors. could be a fall risk with wet/snowy boots.

this is the true color. the others i made brighter.

here's some shappell FX200I shots so you can see the fabric a little better. shappell doesn't have any pics for us to see on their site.

also in true color.

i didn't take any pics of the shappell FX100I. i will get some later.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2017, 02:22 AM »
i went up to the true value in calumet and actually sat in the one they had built. there really is a lot of room, 2 people could really spread out, i love the large bench seat and the shelf right in front of me for the flasher. the whole unit collapses down to 18" high. the 2 man eskimo flip over is a great looking unit also, really helps to be able to sit in them and see exactly what youre getting.

Is he pulling the shack by hand or machine??

If by hand he should be fine .. if by machine he could fill the tub full of snow and or lose gear  with the br2 look how big that hole in floor is also I don't like the electronics shelf two 8 inch holes with my nills could lose my lantren real easily down the hole.. also how long will that tub last with pulling by machine..

And flip overs if he gets one get him a rod case not a bucket if he leave rods in a bucket closes shanty to fish buckets behind him when he goes to move and flips shack overy you break rods in half really easily.. and how long will the tub last pulling by machine?? That's were hub shanties are popular now  and same with the s3000 shack with me you can buy seprate tub sleds to replace old...  if they ware out you can buy another...

but the s3000 or dlx3000 etc you can strap to the top of the sled with  ratchet straps crossed.. then drag the s3000 etc by machine...  get there and set it up.. store gear in sled etc I even got modifications that work on the s3000 for as flasher.. I will post in a minute if you would like to see it??   even works with flip overs ..  mounts to a pole on either side of the flip or s3000 style shacks with a ram mount mount for the  flasher..  and remove  part of the mount when you fold up and leave.. and part stay on pole ...

Don't get me wrong flip overs /br2's are great I just worry he may have problems finding a new tub if he wares it out dragging by machine.. thinking your in the u.p. wich machine travel is more likely then in south east michigan..

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2017, 03:36 AM »
my son went up to calumet an bought the bay runner 2. he sat in them all, and he thought the bay runner was the best for him, the true value in calumet is going to have storewide sales from 8 - 2 this saturday  (9 dec), gonna go get one of the deep water rods for keweenaw bay.
da splake chaser

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2017, 08:54 AM »
chilly, he can add the shappell hyfax.

i just bought another hyfax kit. this time for the fx100I. i still have to install it and i want to water proof it. the shelter is prebuilt and one of a kind.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:16 AM »

Ya I know he can add a hyfax.  the bay runner 2 is a good shack if he is pulling behind a snowmobile or atv etc.. may want to see if you can find a jet sled or etc..  it will fit into . Those trails can be nasty logs rocks etc once you rip that tub your done is why I say it  and add the hyfax to the secound sled base then when he gets to ware he's going seprate the two fish then when he leaves stick them back togather.. you will if you hang out on here long enough see tons of post of bad ice logs and rocks and rpiped and torn sleds.. I know 3300 has seen a few..

Any how like I said if he's pulling it by hand he should not need to do this but by machine it's just a suggestion..

Also watch that shelf you set stuff on it your asking to lose it down the hole..

Also I know there is a electronics shelf here's how I mounted my fish finder in my flip overs and my s3000 I had..  the bay runner is based on the s3000 cabin style and the flip over shacks...  but this gets the flasher any style up off the ice for better viewing ...  it's still hard to see when on a bucket the electronics shelf is bucket height..  trying to stare at the small or large screen..  this bring the flasher closer to you so you can let the presure off  your back and jig a lot easier leaning back a bit ..

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2017, 03:21 AM »
i love the shelf in the bay runner 2. all my junk fits just right. the true value in calumet has a bay runner 2 that they rent so you can try before you buy, they also have an ion auger for rent, i am going to try it next friday on one of the small lakes i know i can get out on, nice to be able to rent a piece of equipment an try it before you might but it.
da splake chaser

Offline Depthfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2017, 10:24 PM »
Hats off to the True Value store in Calumet.  My son and his friend went to get bait up there as they are students at MI tech.  The store gave them a very good count on bait.  Also a good assortment of shacks on display.  With Gander Mt and MC Sports closed along with many Dunhams closed, there are not many places left to see ice fishing shacks on display.  Even Menards had them years back on display and don't anymore.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2017, 01:46 AM »
i love the shelf in the bay runner 2. all my junk fits just right. the true value in calumet has a bay runner 2 that they rent so you can try before you buy, they also have an ion auger for rent, i am going to try it next friday on one of the small lakes i know i can get out on, nice to be able to rent a piece of equipment an try it before you might but it.

Ya I know the bay runner 2 is a great shack I use to fish of of a Shappell s3000 a few year back..  my dad owned a minute man shack by shappell the reason it was called a minuteam man is it took under one minute to set up.. any how that's sweet they rent shantis and have a display models very rare now a days. 

By the wsy Just trying to protect your sons dollars on the sled tub if he pulling by machine.. even a more expensive shacks like otter frabill and eskimo get holes in them from dragging under power.. that why you might want to try it??  if he is dragging with power to add a tub under it to protect it..  would hate to see a expensive item get destroyed.. but like said if he's only dragging on ice by hand he is fine with out the second tub ..

I do like the idea of their electronic shelf to very inovated..  but just remember you set a full pop in a fresh drilled hole its going stright to bottom of lake.. this cause it not boyant like foam etc I learn this as a kid by accident cause accidents happen..

so keep that in mind with the electronic shelf and the items you set on it hemos , jigs metal i e scoops ..etc.. that don't float..  that shelf is right over the hole.. and sooner or later stuff will get bumped in it happens even in  flip overs even  suit case shack and even hub styles .. just thinking to caution You to help you out.. and I am sure you know this ..

heck I am glad eagle claw bought the shappell name hopefully parts are avaible and easier to get sooner or later then they were from shappell?? 

Would love to see a full thermal bay runner 1 and or 2 was even thinkin of buying a s3000 buy they stopped making it the s3000 would warm up on a lantren alone and keep you warm all night I am thinking a br2 is about the same?? Those lantrens are great for night fishing for crappie..

I have been putting off buying a new flip in hoppes the br1 would come out fully thermal..  if that tell you aNY thing..

I know your sons going to enjoy the shack for many year we bought our minute man shacks back in 1985 and sold my dad's in 2015 in great shape.. any how don't worry he will  get lot of use out of it.. trust me.. lol's

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jul 25, 2018, 10:31 AM »
i saw two bay runners today at knutsons in michigan. i bought the only fx100 insulated they got it by mistake. looking forward to using it.

i didn't take any pics of the shappell FX100I. i will get some later.

as mntioned i said i'd post some pics of the fx100i. in case you didn't see them in the general section, i'll link to it so you can see one.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=349558.0

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 02, 2019, 10:17 AM »

Ya I know the bay runner 2 is a great shack I use to fish of of a Shappell s3000 a few year back..  my dad owned a minute man shack by shappell the reason it was called a minuteam man is it took under one minute to set up.. any how that's sweet they rent shantis and have a display models very rare now a days. 

By the wsy Just trying to protect your sons dollars on the sled tub if he pulling by machine.. even a more expensive shacks like otter frabill and eskimo get holes in them from dragging under power.. that why you might want to try it??  if he is dragging with power to add a tub under it to protect it..  would hate to see a expensive item get destroyed.. but like said if he's only dragging on ice by hand he is fine with out the second tub ..

I do like the idea of their electronic shelf to very inovated..  but just remember you set a full pop in a fresh drilled hole its going stright to bottom of lake.. this cause it not boyant like foam etc I learn this as a kid by accident cause accidents happen..

so keep that in mind with the electronic shelf and the items you set on it hemos , jigs metal i e scoops ..etc.. that don't float..  that shelf is right over the hole.. and sooner or later stuff will get bumped in it happens even in  flip overs even  suit case shack and even hub styles .. just thinking to caution You to help you out.. and I am sure you know this ..

heck I am glad eagle claw bought the shappell name hopefully parts are avaible and easier to get sooner or later then they were from shappell?? 

Would love to see a full thermal bay runner 1 and or 2 was even thinkin of buying a s3000 buy they stopped making it the s3000 would warm up on a lantren alone and keep you warm all night I am thinking a br2 is about the same?? Those lantrens are great for night fishing for crappie..

I have been putting off buying a new flip in hoppes the br1 would come out fully thermal..  if that tell you aNY thing..

I know your sons going to enjoy the shack for many year we bought our minute man shacks back in 1985 and sold my dad's in 2015 in great shape.. any how don't worry he will  get lot of use out of it.. trust me.. lol's

Looks like they are finally coming out with a thermal version of the Bay Runner 1
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/shappell-bay-runner-insulated-sled-cabin?a=2209256

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.