Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Perch

are most of the large belly perch full of eggs during winter? if so, why kill?

(1/10) > >>

logicallycompromised:
i was offered this explanation from a trusted source as to why the perch get so fat in the winter.  a quick google search suggest this to be accurate as well.  has this been your experience?

the reason i am looking confirmation as it begs the question why do anglers seems to keep these desirable breeders? regardless of what their reason maybe it is their prerogative as a licensed fisherman to keep as many as they like in accordance with the laws.  but as someone who gets a lot out of fishing i would like to use this thread as a way to possible inform others who may not think much about all the tomorrows.  from what i understand these toads offer little extra meat in exchange for their added mass.  smaller males could offer similar fillets with the added benefit of aiding in a healthy population.

what say you?

DR.SPECKLER:
they breed like cockroaches..if you don't harvest they will become over populated and stunted.

rlusk3030:

--- Quote from: DR.SPECKLER on Jan 16, 2018, 08:33 PM ---they breed like cockroaches..if you don't harvest they will become over populated and stunted.

--- End quote ---

Couldn't agree more.

SHaRPS:

--- Quote from: DR.SPECKLER on Jan 16, 2018, 08:33 PM ---they breed like cockroaches..if you don't harvest they will become over populated and stunted.

--- End quote ---

Exactly. Plus they taste great and you cannot buy them at a market. And because of your post, you reminded me that tomorrow sounds like a great day to have perch for dinner!

Kinkyline:
   G ;Dreat eating and abundant. Just keep your harvest to what you can use for a couple meals.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version