Author Topic: My new homemade rodholders with automatic hooksetting!  (Read 155829 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: My new homemade rodholders with automatic hooksetting!
« Reply #150 on: Jan 22, 2013, 06:54 AM »
Looks good to go. Good luck out there.
<===Lefty===

Offline marksor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #151 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:17 AM »
Thanks for the info using automatic hook settings.
Mark

Offline psturdevant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #152 on: Jan 24, 2013, 11:17 AM »
Hey guys, I've taken my unit out and it worked great for the bites that we had but they were pretty limited that day.  I am targeting crappie, perch, panfish using small minnows.  Currently I have a size 8 trebble through the back of the minnow.  Do you guys think I can use a smaller hook for these fish or go away from using the trebble and go to a Aberdeen? 

I thought i would have the best luck with a trebble because of how fast the hook set is but I think the bait doesn't swim nearly as well with a Trebble in it's back.  Let me know your thoughts.

Offline wis2ohio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #153 on: Jan 25, 2013, 12:53 PM »
I thought i would have the best luck with a trebble because of how fast the hook set is but I think the bait doesn't swim nearly as well with a Trebble in it's back.  Let me know your thoughts.

I am hoping to use mine over the weekend so can't say for sure what works and doesn't but I would like it would be better to use a reg hook instead of a trebble hook the minnow in the lips instead of the back and set your jig at a 90 degree angle that way it makes the minnow look like it's swimming more of a natural motion I think having a minnow hooked in the back is more for northern and musky.. Hope this helps you out

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #154 on: Jan 25, 2013, 02:55 PM »
Used my Lip Ripper yesterday and had 5 hits on it. All 5 got away. Here is why. If you look at my signature you will see the Stringese Fastach which I was using yesterday on the lip ripper. I would take off the Treble hook and slide a chunk of Shrimp over the hook and then reattach the hook. I figure I had too much bait on the treble for the fish to get hooked. Lesson learned. I am just happy to get in the win column after 5 Skunk outings. Ended up with 4 trout on my Jigging rod.

On a side note. I had bought a bunch of spools of the Cajun Red Ice line. I had it on all my Ice rods starting out this year.  After 5 times getting skunked and very few bites I switched out the line to Berkley Vanish. Yesterday I caught fish and had more bites then the previous 5 trips. I read so many good things about the line but I will not ever use it again.
<===Lefty===

Offline coolhand_luke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #155 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:24 AM »
Good info to know.  I just got a bunch of the Fastach's, guess I won't use them on the lip rippers.  always wondered about the red line, I tend to like the yellow.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #156 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:53 AM »
Good info to know.  I just got a bunch of the Fastach's, guess I won't use them on the lip rippers.  always wondered about the red line, I tend to like the yellow.

I don't think it was the fastach as much as it was me stuffing the hooks with shrimp. I will just cut the Shrimp in half and use half the thickness of shrimp so the hooks are still exposed some.
<===Lefty===

Offline Nevada Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #157 on: Jan 27, 2013, 04:26 PM »
Just finished building 2 units haven't had a chance to try them out yet.  I used the pattern of "bquick" in the original post, with the exception I made my center leg a bit longer due to the 40 inch rods I use. I have been pondering the issue of eye damage from the trigger, I don't think that the wire will damage the eye of a rod with a ceramic insert.  I use a ceramic rod to sharpen my knives, I'm thinking that the ceramic is harder than the wire is.  Any thought on this?
Les
I only walk on the water in the winter season!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #158 on: Jan 27, 2013, 05:59 PM »
A cracked ceramic is worse than a chip. It is hard to see a crack until your line shows the effects. I check all ceramic eyes before using them each time out. It's almost better to use poles without them because of the extra care needed to keep them from being broke. A ceramic would work good though, but inspect it closely.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline ilarcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #159 on: Jan 27, 2013, 07:27 PM »
I have been wanting to make something like this for a while now. Today was the day, I didn't buy anything. I use one of my pole holders, dug threw some old tackle and found a steel leader and used 12ga copper wire for the trigger. Now I will say I was worried about the copper wire not being strong enough but it is and I can adjust it without major tools.

Now I wish photobucket would work so I could upload the photos to show you all.
Outdoor nut. Love to hunt, fish, camp.

Offline psturdevant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #160 on: Jan 27, 2013, 07:52 PM »
Figured out the trick for hooks and minnows on mine.  Went away from trebles and started using size 4 and 6 Aberdeen hooks.  Started hooking trough the lips of the fathead minnows as someone on here mentioned.  That didn't work, never got a hook up.  Started hooking through the back, 100% hook ups.  Pretty pumped.   I have got small blue gills (4-5") up to 17" pickerel all on the same set up without adjusting the trigger.  Need to build some more, sell my old tip ups.   Anyone interested in some HT tip ups?  $5 each or $15 for 4 of them. 

Offline ilarcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #161 on: Jan 27, 2013, 10:08 PM »
Here is my set up I made this afternoon. I have it set for a very lit strike right now but with the copper wire trigger I can adjust it for a heavy strike with just a little tweek in a few seconds

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #162 on: Jan 28, 2013, 07:37 AM »
Looks good. I might have to make some for my rod holds that are just like yours.
<===Lefty===

Offline psturdevant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #163 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:19 AM »
Here is my set up I made this afternoon. I have it set for a very lit strike right now but with the copper wire trigger I can adjust it for a heavy strike with just a little tweek in a few seconds

(Image removed from quote.)

ilarcher, I have these same rod holders and I thought about using them but I worried about the rod falling out once the unit goes off.  Thus why I think it would be better to do a similar thing from a coil spring rod holder.  Please let me know when you use this on the ice if you have the problem of the rod falling out of the rod holder. 

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #164 on: Jan 28, 2013, 02:12 PM »
I have a simalar set up and I had no problems with the rod coming out of the holder, but they were just 10 inch Gils. Two of these were caught on a set up similar.  Only the string was attached to the reel handle.

Offline ilarcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #165 on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:34 PM »
I am worried about the same thing. As I was testing it on the counter it would flip out if I didn't hold the line, but if I held the line like there was a fish on the end it would not flip out. I did get some 1" pvc from work today that I'm going to put on just to make sure it won't flip out. With the warm weather and rain today its going to be a little while till I can get back on the ice to try it out.

I will post more pic's when I add the pvc.

Offline psturdevant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #166 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:48 PM »
You may be a Le to use a piece of light wire looped around each end to keep it in place. 

When mine goes off from a blue gill, you wouldn't know there was a fish on for a second or two.  I think it will flip out if you don't put something on it. 

Offline ilarcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #167 on: Jan 28, 2013, 11:08 PM »
I have thought about just zip tieing it to the rod holder(or rubber bands). Most of the time I just pick the whole thing up when I get a bite anyway. Then just clip the ties off when its time to pack up. I can build it fancier than what it needs to be just because I like to tinker and customize things. The more I think about it I hope it is heavy enough or I'm fast enough to get to it before it goes down the hole on a big walleye, cause thats what I plan on useing it for.

Offline psturdevant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #168 on: Jan 28, 2013, 11:35 PM »
I just built some new ones tonight.  They are same idea as before but with improvements.  I used hardwood flooring for the base, a coil rod holder instead of PVC, added reflective automotive tape to the rod tip with an arrow indicator for laughs.  Also have used mostly stainless components.  I am thinking about Tieing a bell to the second to last eyelet so I can hear them go off better (easier when I am drunk). You guys got any other ideas for an audible feature for these?   

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #169 on: Jan 29, 2013, 06:53 AM »
Nice ,and I really like you guy's triggers.
<===Lefty===

Offline Turk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #170 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:25 AM »
Went 2 for 2 on its maiden voyage and 1 for 1 the next night.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #171 on: Jan 29, 2013, 11:11 AM »
Good deal. I still haven't gotten a lot of bites on mine and when I did I had the treble hook stuffed with shrimp so the fish couldn't have gotten hooked.
<===Lefty===

Offline wis2ohio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #172 on: Jan 29, 2013, 02:19 PM »
I used my setup over the weekend for the first time worked great on the gills that tripped it just wish Ohio had more darn ice so I could fish some more.

Offline psturdevant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #173 on: Jan 29, 2013, 06:54 PM »
OK guys here is what I believe to be my final set up. 

&feature=youtu.be 

Thanks again for all of the ideas, let me know your thoughts.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #174 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:28 PM »
Looks great. Good luck out on the ice and stay safe.
<===Lefty===

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #175 on: Jan 30, 2013, 06:44 AM »
in my playing with this rig, i found it hard to get it set light enough. maybe thats a good thing for hookup ratio?  i feel it will be great for dead sticking crappie ,with minnows though.  some nice rigs guys. :clap:
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline psturdevant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #176 on: Jan 30, 2013, 12:36 PM »
I can get mine pretty light.  It depends on your length/angles of the trigger and the finish on the trigger.  It needs to be very smooth without any tool marks in the metal. The distance from the bottom of the trigger (whereof rotates) to the loop that goes through the pole eyelet needs to be as short as possible.   The loop that the line sits on should be level or slightly above level and only as log as t needs to be. 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #177 on: Jan 30, 2013, 05:21 PM »
I can get mine pretty light.  It depends on your length/angles of the trigger and the finish on the trigger.  It needs to be very smooth without any tool marks in the metal. The distance from the bottom of the trigger (whereof rotates) to the loop that goes through the pole eyelet needs to be as short as possible.   The loop that the line sits on should be level or slightly above level and only as log as t needs to be.

Very good advice there.  I have been making a few more triggers today. I found a roll of wire with some coating around it that works real good. I just stripped the coating off and I have the perfect wire.
<===Lefty===

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #178 on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:26 PM »
Little help please......when your units are all set up and ready for the bite, are the bails of the reels open or closed?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #179 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:29 PM »

Closed fer crossin' their eyes.   ;)2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.