The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Flip vs hub  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Flip vs hub
« on: Feb 24, 2021, 07:50 PM »
So to start i originally had a shappell dx3000 as my only shanty... And i debated on a flip or a hub... I thought that the flip would be an all around better option.... Got an Eskimo eskape 300 last year.... Dont get me wrong... I only have 1 complaint.... Its HEAVY.... Almost too heavy.... At 146 lbs empty it is a tank..... Now i was looking at the eskimo fatfish 9416iq.... It is enormous..... Something like 14 feet long.... Now i realize that for solo missions its overkill but hear me out..... If i was by myself i could put a tipup on the other end of the shanty and the hole would stay thawed lol..... But seriously.... Anyone have experience with the fatfish series? The 9416 has so much fishable area inside and at only 66 lbs its less than half of my eskape.... I fished for my first time in an insulated hub a few days ago and it was awesome... No wind noise or fabric flapping... And it was WARM way warmer than my non insulated flip.... Any thoughts on my quandry.... Is the 9416 too much is the 949i the way to go... Or the outbreak series.... I like Eskimo... But id be interested in another brand if the price is comparable....
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline SpartySturg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Flip vs hub
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2021, 09:59 PM »
I'm on my second Fatfish 949i and really like them.
My son has my first one as it was getting a little beat up with age.
Pretty easy to set up and light
The weight is the biggest reason I went with a hub over a tub.

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2021, 03:06 AM »
I have a 949i and it's awesome. Relatively light, roomy, easy to set up, warm

Biggest downside is that it's not very mobile, I'll probably think about getting a flip over as well at some point

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2021, 04:12 AM »
I am really happy with my 949i and will buy another one when this one scraps out.
Catching Any?

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2021, 05:05 AM »
I have a QuickFish 3i and a FatFish 6120i - no complaints regarding the quality of either of these Eskimo products. 

Offline DoubleJJ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2021, 06:30 AM »
I have a Shappell FX100 that I use for fishing solo or when going with my son or friends who have their own setups.  I bought an Eskimo 9416i this year for when I have the whole family going.  It is huge!  It is long.  It takes up all the room in a larger jet sled (which you will need to haul it onto the ice with cuz unless you're 7' tall, you are not carrying it out).  The Eskimo is large enough for 6 people in my opinion or maybe 7 if some are kids.  It is easy to set up but it's a little more work to take down and make sure it's folded up enough to get it back off of the ice.  I think unless you are going out with several people, I'd look at an insulated Shappell FX200, Clam Nanook, or a smaller hub.  The FX200 and Nanook will be key if you're trying to stay mobile.  The Eskimo hub models that have the door that goes to the ground are nice.
Best Regards,

#GoldenRule
Jamie W. Hanshaw

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2021, 07:20 AM »
Love the input.... I have 3 kids so if i bring them im at 5 minimum.... Maybe 6 if the boy brings a friend.... So im always looking for the most room....... Granted the kids rarely come buti also coukd set up one end fpr spearing and o e end for fishing if it was just me and the wife

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2021, 07:27 AM »
I am on my second fatfish 949 non insulated..first one was great, the second one is trash.. interior lining is all peeling ad cracking in first season, one of my hub already falling apart, zippers pulls on bag shattered like glass first use, and bag is ripping. aside from interior coating peeling i did not have any of these issues with my first one.
i also have a hard time deciding flip or hub for my next shelter, i think flips are too small inside for me.. i like being able to sleep in my hub when doing overnights..
spent some time with otter tents this weekend and they are really nice....

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2021, 08:00 AM »
I have been fishing out of a Eskimo EVO 2 the past 3 years and haven't used any of my other shanties weather I am solo or fishing with a partner, have fished 3 in it but it's really built for 2.  It's not bad to pull with a harness and I have put on a hitch system for the sled or quad.  I can load it into the truck myself but definitely easier with two people.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2021, 08:11 AM »
A hub is great for a heated command center or if your on a all day hotspot.a flip will be more mobile and keep you on fish instead of waiting for fish to come to you.only time i bring my hub is smelt fishing/spearing.flip for everything else.unless the rare free fishing weekend where the fam comes out,then its the hub and WAY too much gear!!i try to avoid the whole fam coming out.lol

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2021, 11:31 AM »
I have the shappelle 6500.

It is plenty dark and I like the windows remove so even if they fog you can still peak out. approximately 56 sq ft. Lots of room.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2021, 11:40 AM »

It is plenty dark and I like the windows remove so even if they fog you can still peak out. approximately 56 sq ft. Lots of room.

I have the 5500. I love it for the same reasons you do your 6500. The windows are a big plus and at the right height for flag watching. No standing or crouching to look out. The removable windows are awesome too. Mines about 8 seasons old and still like new. The bag they come in is also awesome. No problem putting it back in the bag after a day of fishing.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2021, 07:25 AM »

I had this debate with a friend. I think a hub sets up just as fast if not faster then a sled. Plus it's lighter.  In my experience I always ended up putting the poles down on my otter and putting the cover on so it didn't fill with snow slush and it didn't save that much time.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2021, 02:37 PM »
I had this debate with a friend. I think a hub sets up just as fast if not faster then a sled. Plus it's lighter.  In my experience I always ended up putting the poles down on my otter and putting the cover on so it didn't fill with snow slush and it didn't save that much time.

I agree with you in that debate, at least compared to when it's only me setting up/breaking down my Otter Lodge flip - takes me about the same amount of time getting that situated as the hub shacks I have.  With two people the Otter Lodge goes faster than the hubs, though, and it's a bit nicer to deal with when there's slushy slop or standing water covering the ice.  Nothing says FUN like folding up a hub shack with an inch of standing water on the ice...

Offline JIGMAN21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2021, 03:02 PM »
I need a flip for a 6'2'' 300 lb. guy.  Hard to find a one man flip with decent headroom.  Any ideas ?  Thank You

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2021, 03:06 PM »
There's a time and place for both the way I fish.  Its pretty rare that my 17 year old son or wife will go with me anymore but when they do I'll take one or both of the Hubs I have.  I added an insulated Otter Cottage this year.  It really checks a lot of boxes...Mobile, warm, comfortable, gear is organized and since I leave it hitched up to my Tundra wind hasn't been a concern like it was with my hubs.  Another foot of headroom inside would be perfect but it totally works with my shorter rods AND I can load it in the truck bed myself...even with the utility trailer hooked up. 

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2021, 03:29 PM »
I need a flip for a 6'2'' 300 lb. guy.  Hard to find a one man flip with decent headroom.  Any ideas ?  Thank You

Height in a flip seems to be based on the width and height of the sled it's built on and bigger equals heavier as well.  The Otter Pro X-Over Lodge I have provides pretty good head room being listed at 77", but I don't pull mine by hand either as it weighs in at 124 pounds empty.  You lose 7" of height going to the Otter Pro X-Over Cabin at 70" with a weight of 103 lbs  and the Otter Pro X-Over Cottage goes to 63" of height and weighs 82 lbs.  You are also dealing with telescopic support poles to create those heights.

Offline KB67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2021, 06:13 AM »
I have a Shapell 6500 that I use for for smelt fishing.  I carry it in my back, easier than dragging,, but still need a sled for chair and rest of my gear. Would you carry that big pop up shanty on your back or put it on a sled?  Weight could add up quickly if you put it on a sled.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2021, 06:39 AM »
as of right now my shanty fully loaded weighs about 225 with out my power auger maybe 255 260 with... Cutting out nearly 70 lbs if i used the giant 9416 lmost 100 pounds if i got the 949

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.