The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: First Time Ice Fishing Michigan (Rose City Area) Help!  (Read 727 times)

Offline TimBuckTwo

• IceShanty Rookie

I am traveling from Georgia and will be flying int Detroit on Thursday.   
I want to go ice fishing and I am staying with my friend who lives in Rose City.   He is not a fisherman. 

Can anyone offer any tips or help on what to bring from my tackle box or fishing gear?   What clothes I should pack?  And most of all...who I should hook up with in Michigan when I arrive to have a fun, safe Ice fishing experience?

I am an avid bass and trout angler and fish nearly every week down south.   I will not be any trouble to teach....just need to find someone going close enough to where I will be from Friday Feb 26 through Sun Feb 28.   

My phone/text number is 404-735-4119. 

Thank you
Tim

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: First Time Ice Fishing Michigan (Rose City Area) Help!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2021, 07:21 AM »
You migjt wanna try grousehaven lake for trout thats not too far from rose city.... They stock some pretty good sized trout in that lake yearly.... Im not super familiar with the lake in that area... What kind of ice fishing gear are you bringing id imagine living in Georgia your options are limited
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline LEN F

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2021, 07:23 AM »
There are ice fishing guides on Houghton Lake. Just "Google" it for info. They would probably have all the gear you need. Good Luck
I have the burning desire to go fishing although I know, that if I never catch another fish, that I have caught enough fish!

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2021, 07:27 AM »
You will get some help and info here yet you may want to post a thread like this in the Michigan area of the forum...... https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=11.0
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2021, 07:29 AM »
As far as clothes bring some warm stuff... Carhart bibs and coat if you have it.... Think ofnthe coldest youve ever been.... Thats daily life here lol
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline TimBuckTwo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:31 AM »
Thanks for the responses....

<‘(((><

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2021, 11:52 AM »
I would think you would leave all your fishing gear to home and bring every stitch of warm weather gear you own. Lol! Most summer fishing gear dosen't cross over to ice fishing and you would go broke trying to gear up for a few days. The previous recommendation to find a guide for Higgins or Houghton Lakes would be a good idea. A guide could put you on Lake Trout, Rainbows, Browns Walleye or even Pike. Unless you find a local to let you tag along. There are some great lakes within 50 miles in all directions from where you are going.
I'm not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.