The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Painting jigs round 1  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Painting jigs round 1
« on: Jan 05, 2021, 03:55 PM »
Well ive just been using acrylic paints because i csnt afford anything else and i have a buttload of them.... Used a metal flake varnish clear coat.... Im sure they arent gonna last forever but figure what the heck.... Pics are in vsrious stages ill post all of them once complete also

Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Painting jigs round 1
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2021, 04:11 PM »
Those look good

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2021, 04:31 PM »
They will certainly work! Nice job.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2021, 05:43 PM »

All cleared and finished...

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2021, 05:52 PM »
Nice, what jig did you use.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2021, 06:26 PM »

Weighs in at 3.7 to 4 grams depends on which one you choose lol... Ordered it off amazon 30$ for 50.... Size 10 hook

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2021, 06:29 PM »
Oh cool, I'll have to look around, like that style of jig.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2021, 06:30 PM »
Thanks

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2021, 06:35 PM »
It says they only weigh 3.5 grams but i put them on the scale and they range from 3.7 to 4 grams... Which i like i wanted to get 1/4 oz anyways.... Hooks are good and sharp.... Was worries about that cuz theybwere so cheap.... But seem to be good to go.... Now i just need a frozen lake

Offline mi500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2021, 06:57 AM »
I’m thinking about repainting a few of mine that are beat up.  Has anyone tried any of the glow pigments on amazon? 

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2021, 07:27 AM »
Nice job Doeslayer!

You're correct that the acrylic might not last too long even with the clearcoat. However, they will last long enough to get your limit!

I've tried acrylic, fingernail polish, auto touch up paint all with pretty much the same results. The clearcoat does extend the life of the paint a bit. The acrylic gives better color than the others. The touch up paint is just expensive but you don't get as many questioning stares as you do when buying the fingernail polish. Plus your daughters won't keep "borrowing" your Naughty-or-Nice Red! Or when you hide in the bathroom to read their Seventeen, Vogue or Elle magazine to find out what fall color line of jig paints are new this year.

I bought some airbrush equipment awhile back but haven't had time to learn how to use it yet. It's supposed to make it easier for both base paint and detail work. I'm not sure if it lasts much longer though.

The vinyl powder paints have lasted the longest. Especially when you bake them after applying. It seems like you can only do solid colors though.

I've been seeing a lot of the "Wonderbread" colored jigs this year. (White with polka dots)

Has you used or had good luck with this color?

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2021, 07:38 AM »
Im glad to see this simple approach. Most of the jig painting info I find involves baking. Gonna give this a shot.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2021, 08:23 AM »
Wonderbread has been my hot jiggin rap for 3 years now.... It has even outdone blue and chrome which has been my go to since i started this game..... So i figured id give it a shot... Plus its the easiest mass production color i can mimick lol

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2021, 11:42 AM »
Wonderbread has been my hot jiggin rap for 3 years now.... It has even outdone blue and chrome which has been my go to since i started this game..... So i figured id give it a shot... Plus its the easiest mass production color i can mimick lol

Alright! I just got some new unfinished Marmooska style jigs. I'll definitely have to try that!

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2021, 09:43 PM »
I painted some a few years ago and I bought a set of Testors model paint . It has held up very well. I tried finger nail polish from the dollar store and that seemed to be to thin and did not do a good job ut the more expensive polish went on better

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2021, 05:14 AM »
I painted some a few years ago and I bought a set of Testors model paint . It has held up very well. I tried finger nail polish from the dollar store and that seemed to be to thin and did not do a good job ut the more expensive polish went on better

Same here Scout 2. I even paint my own spinner blades (for crawler harnesses) and lead head jigs for Walleye fishing on the soft water. I do use the glitter nail polish over the paint to give some of them a little sparkle. Just have to touch them up once in awhile. Cheap and easy. I also start with a primer or white paint before coloring. Helps to enhance the colors.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Oceantoad1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2021, 07:10 AM »
Doeslayer,   How have your painted jigs performed so far?  What ended up being your "go to" jig?

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2021, 08:11 AM »
Infortunately only 1 survived... A wonderbread... The rest i put in a baggy in my truck... Well when they gotnhot all the paint melted together.... So it was a fail...bit luckily the paint comes right off... So wednesday ill buy some higher quality jig paint

Offline Oceantoad1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2021, 09:14 AM »
Where did you put them in your truck that they got that hot and melted?  Did you set them on the engine block?  Bummer.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2021, 10:15 AM »
Nope just on the dash... Just a cheap paint i suppose.... It was an experiment.... Lesson learned....

Offline buekerbug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2021, 02:03 PM »
I use a piece of plywood with deck screws and synthetic wine corks. Usually put  8  size 10 hooks per cork. Then I use 30 min epoxy, I use a toothpick  to apply it to hooks. Every time I do a cork I turn cork over to prevent epoxy from running in the eye. Usually they set in 15-20 minutes.

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2021, 01:13 PM »
I use a piece of plywood with deck screws and synthetic wine corks. Usually put  8  size 10 hooks per cork. Then I use 30 min epoxy, I use a toothpick  to apply it to hooks. Every time I do a cork I turn cork over to prevent epoxy from running in the eye. Usually they set in 15-20 minutes.

I like this idea.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 19, 2021, 03:47 PM »
I just restarted my jig making. The best drying rack I found Is bead chain stretched between uprights. The lures don't slide around.
I have great luck with nail polish holding up to hemostats. I bake them in a 200 degree oven for 20 minutes. It cooks out any remaining solvent and toughens the paint. I've done over 8000 and have a lot in use with no complaints.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 19, 2021, 03:58 PM »
Nice looking paint job Doubles shooter. When I was dipping/brushing my drying rack was very similar except I used #8 allthread rod instead of bead chain. Accomplished the same thing: keeping tacky jigs from sliding together.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:53 AM »
I just restarted my jig making. The best drying rack I found Is bead chain stretched between uprights. The lures don't slide around.
I have great luck with nail polish holding up to hemostats. I bake them in a 200 degree oven for 20 minutes. It cooks out any remaining solvent and toughens the paint. I've done over 8000 and have a lot in use with no complaints.

Double Shooter, those are some nice looking jigs, what weight are they? I do bigger stuff 1/2 and 3/4oz jigging for walleye. powder paint, dipping, and a toaster over make the paint like cement.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2021, 09:29 AM »
To be honest, I've never weighed them. Those are a size 8 Aberdeen hook. I do ice jigs from size 12 to 8.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.