Author Topic: Windblock Shelters, Info. wanted  (Read 6632 times)

Jerry944

Windblock Shelters, Info. wanted
« on: Feb 12, 2004, 10:04 AM »
I am considering a windblock shelter, and would like feedback from people that use them. I looked at one and thought the quality was very good.I have been to their web site and checked that Info. out. I have been using a Clam Junior and would like something quicker to set up, and move. I usually fish with my wife so need room for two. This web site has been agreat help to me and the people are super. I just ordered a My Buddy heater and MarCum LX-3 because of Info. on this site. Thank You  P.S. Windblock is a brand name.  Windblockershelters.co m

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
Re: Windblock Shelters, Info. wanted
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2004, 10:14 AM »
My father in law just bought a brand new Frabil Venture portable ice shelter for $150.00. It came in the factory sealed box through a wholesaler. It has plenty of room, it is a decent design, but I think the materials used could have been just a bit better. All in all, definetly worth the money.

maine-ly backward

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2004, 10:14 AM »
Did ya see that rig posted by Buzzbomb in the sled pictures thread? Looks like just the ticket to me.

Jerry944

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2004, 10:31 AM »
jigstick:  buzzbomb's shelter sure looks fast, but I want something with a inside. thanks

maine-ly backward

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2004, 10:38 AM »
Sorry, your post indicated that you were looking for a windbreak, not a permanent shelter.

Jerry944

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2004, 10:40 AM »
Jigstick: Windblock is a brand name, maybe I should have put that in my post. To look at them, Windblocshelters.com

maine-ly backward

« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2004, 10:43 AM »
Sorry, never heard of them.

Jerry944

« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2004, 10:52 AM »
Maybe I should have posted In Indiana as they are made just over the state line In Michigan.

Offline fishersofmen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jesus Christ is lord
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2004, 09:18 PM »
i bought a windblock several yrs ago....paid either 150 or 250 dollars for it...can't remember....good points were the materials were second to none...square aluminum poles , nylon bushings at all joints...the canvas is military grade...i could tell it was made to last which i think this is true...the main problem is it was designed very poorly...it set up very quickly but there was only a 12 inch area out front in which to fish, place a graph, place your heater...and there was not even a flap to block the weather out so the holes would freeze over no matter what...so it was not possible to fish in this hut...if i put the heater in the sled portion of the hut...which was 90% of the area...i was afraid i'd catch my cloths on fire...there was a seat which came up and covered most of the sled....no way possible could i fish by myself much less include a second person...overall i'd rate it an "a" for materials...an "f" for design...steve heckler...ps i got a cheap windblock...almost new condition for sale...really cheap.....but i wouldn't sell it to anyone i may know or like...so if that guy who ran his fishin boat up my transom when a kid on board had a 20+lb king on last yr and ruined my daiwa 47-H and we lost the fish wants it...i'll sell it to him...steve heckler i bought the otterskin magnum two yrs ago..pricey but a great hut...
Jesus said to be fishersofmen

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2004, 08:27 AM »
Jerry,Fishersofmen is right about the quality.Ive had mine 10 years and absolutly no problems.I love it.He is also right about the amount of room in the front but I usually put snow around the front to help keep out some of the wind.I jig with one rod and put out a tip up so room is not a big deal with me and all I use for heat is a lantern and I have no problems.Vex on the left side,lantern in the middle and fishing hole on the right.If I get a flag I unzip the door grab the lantern and step out,no big deal.It works for me and I guess it personal preference........

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2004, 08:50 AM »
I would suggest buying a fish trap pro or a scout.  I have a scout and really like the unit.  I rate mine "A" for fabric "A" for design and "A" for usability.  You can keep all your gear inside and flip it up then your gone!  It is incredible actually and you can't go wrong for the money!  Go and buy a clam fish trap guide for two people or a voyager for three.  They both come fully equiped minor assembly required!
   Da-Roc
  There service dept is second to none too!  They are just incredible to deal with!  Plus a real person answeres the phone!

Jerry944

« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2004, 08:04 AM »
Skulldugary : I believe they increased the size about 12-14"  to the front. That might make a lot of differance. The quality just looks so good. I also like the ideal that your feet are not directly on the ice.

bigric

« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2004, 10:47 AM »
Hey,brother-in-law,I was looking at the Otter,square tubing like the Windblock,fast set-up,more room and the sled is alot deeper.I am leary of the fabric taking a beating on the ice and snow on he Windblock.The Otter's sled is so deep I think I(or you) could pull your new Marcum Xl-3 with confidence.Bad thimg is the purple tent right now.The green is "sold out" on-line. I am checking other sources.I like all the options that can be added as needed(example--Padded swival seat--if needed!) It is 60# compared to 40#

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2004, 01:33 PM »
 I have a clam junior also and I think it work's great !
I am considering a windblock shelter, and would like feedback from people that use them. I looked at one and thought the quality was very good.I have been to their web site and checked that Info. out. I have been using a Clam Junior and would like something quicker to set up, and move. I usually fish with my wife so need room for two. This web site has been agreat help to me and the people are super. I just ordered a My Buddy heater and MarCum LX-3 because of Info. on this site. Thank You  P.S. Windblock is a brand name.  Windblockershelters.co m
;D

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2004, 08:53 PM »
Jerry944,the added room sure would be a plus.It's like I said ,I really like mine.Who knows maybe next time I'm in the market for a new shanty,I'll try something else,but I don't think so..........

Offline roger46982

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2004, 05:12 AM »
Hey guys, I would like to see one of these windblocker shelters, where can I get a look at one?  The sites posted on here don't work.

bigric

« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2004, 08:03 AM »
Lunker's had 1 with seat last Sunday.Bill's Trading Post at 71077 M 62 in Edwardburg had 1 w/o seat. Bill's phone # is 269 663-8802.                       www.windblockshelters. com is where you can see them on-line     I hope this will help.          P.S. What about wear and tear at the base of the fabric at the sled.It looked like it would take a beating being so close to the ground. I really like the craftsmanship on this shelter. 

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2004, 08:25 AM »
Bigric,The canvas that they are made from is some tough stuff.I've had mine 10 years and it still looks like new and it's had a LOT of use.When I use it and it gets wet,I take it to the basement to dry.They used to come with an anchor also....

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2004, 06:03 PM »
Jerry944, i bought one sight unseen in janof '96. I dorve in a blizzard  to pick it up. If it is at all possible try to get a older one. Ive been looking for another one for almoist 3 years and just (finally) found out they still mfg. them. The unit is the same high quality (welded aluminum,ABS sled and seat-tackle box , tow-anchor system) EXCEPT, the top materail-zippers. The top material is not military grade canvass and the zippers are not HD. units like the old models. The original Trophey xl is good for shallow water fishing(which i do ), but i wanted a bigger one for deep water two. I allready knew they had bigger ones from the 90s when i saw them at the dealer where i picked mine up. They had solos and doubles at 6 feet long.The first day i used mine there were 35+mph winds on a lake. I met a local hot shot at the lake and we decided to go out.I drilled two holes, 1 for ancoring and fished away. The guy in his fish trap was cussing and swearing and a lot of rattling noises were coming from over there. I got out of my windblock and walked over to him and asked what was the problem. He said theres to much wind! As he packed up and left his eyes :opoped out as he seen my shelter sitting there not moving.
Coooooooool
If you have any questions IM me.

Also the closest dealer to me(NY) is Franks Great Outdoors in Mi.
another is www.dsbait.com   in WI
Glad to help

Jerry944

« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2004, 08:16 PM »
Crappieloo: I saw a older unit on the Ice yesterday,it looked in excellent condition. A older couple [ about MY age] were fishing in it. It didn't have the extra length in front, but they really liked it. I was conserned about the canvas being so low to the ice, but it didn't seem worn. I am still considering it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.