Author Topic: Joe Wright 12/5/19  (Read 955 times)

Offline troutbiscuits

• IceShanty Rookie
Joe Wright 12/5/19
« on: Dec 06, 2019, 11:35 AM »
Had a great day at Joe Wright. Tried to take some video, but turned out poorly cause my chest mount was broken. Between three of us 26 grayling were caught between 8:30AM to noon. Way more snow than I am used to up there first week of December. I am 6'6 and there are places where I was buried up to my hip.

In addition to that it was snowing hard the whole time. We had about 4-5 inches of fresh snow on the car by the time we got back to it.

Ice is plenty safe by the Dam area at 7-8 inches. But as mentioned above, if you want to catch Grayling don't wait much longer. The snow and ice thickness up there will get crazy deep soon making it not worth it unless you are a glutton for punishment like me.

For me the best thing was a pink tungsten VMC ice fly. 1/32 ounce. Caught a 14 incher on that as well as a few smaller dudes. I also caught one on a gold 1/12 ounce Kastmaster, and another decent one on a Thinfisher Perch colored blade.

Fun time! Glad we went.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Re: Joe Wright 12/5/19
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2019, 11:41 AM »
Nice!  Thanks for the report, sounds like a fun day.

Yeah we fished JW in January...snow was kinda deep to say the least.  An the ice was 18" or more.  That's a lot of trouble for some slimers with wings!   ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2019, 11:46 AM »
Not only a Grayling spot but numbers of them and good size.  Me and a bud fished it jeez gotta be 10 years ago and we caught Grayling bows cuttys and even a 15" tiger musky. Mostly on 1/4 oz. kastys.   Blizzard the entire time Ive never found a reason to go back. ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline troutbiscuits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2019, 12:00 PM »
Nice!  Thanks for the report, sounds like a fun day.

Yeah we fished JW in January...snow was kinda deep to say the least.  An the ice was 18" or more.  That's a lot of trouble for some slimers with wings!   ;D

I usually try to go first week of December and leave it alone for the rest of the year. Typically the snow is not bad, but as you can imagine, from that crazy storm we recently had, it was way more challenging this year.

Personally I love catching Grayling. They are one of my favorite species to look at, and they are highly aggressive early ice. One of the ones I caught yesterday chased my blade all the way up to the hole from 20 feet down and snagged it right by the hole kinda like a mini winged Laker.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2019, 12:03 PM »
They are very cool fish — beautiful markings and fins. We’re lucky there are places in Colorado to catch em! We do have a good variety of species here.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2019, 12:06 PM »
Are they any good? I've never eaten one-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline troutbiscuits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2019, 12:08 PM »

They taste great, but there is a caveat. For some reason their meat seems to degrade fast. So if I keep them, I cook them the same day I catch them. They don't keep as well as other fish.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2019, 12:11 PM »
Cool --- supposed to be lighter and flakier than trout, with a unique taste from what I hear. 
Fishslap said he would be smoking up a batch from a few weeks ago, wonder how they turned out. 
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2019, 12:24 PM »
Still haven’t found time but I plan to do a basic brine for whitefish, smoke them whole, then make dip with part of the meat.

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2019, 05:51 PM »
Two fish eating enthusiasts told me they didn't like the taste of Grayling at all.
Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2019, 10:58 PM »
They taste great, but there is a caveat. For some reason their meat seems to degrade fast. So if I keep them, I cook them the same day I catch them. They don't keep as well as other fish.
Taste like craaaaaap.  And I cooked some up fresh lake-side at zimm...years ago, when they had them.  It probably depends on personal taste.

s

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.