Author Topic: Laker Fishing at the Lochness  (Read 1715 times)

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Laker Fishing at the Lochness
« on: Nov 14, 2019, 09:27 AM »
Anyone thinking about going up to the Lochness monster for some lakers? I'd like to go trying it since it's the only lake I know frozen besides Jeffey that has them but Jeffey is just too much to get up there.
Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Laker Fishing at the Lochness
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2019, 09:30 AM »
Anyone thinking about going up to the Lochness monster for some lakers? I'd like to go trying it since it's the only lake I know frozen besides Jeffey that has them but Jeffey is just too much to get up there.

Not only no, but HELL NO! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2019, 10:11 AM »
I'm still open water fishing, especially this weekend with this awesome weather.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2019, 10:13 AM »
I'm still open water fishing, especially this weekend with this awesome weather.

Hell yeah taking the boat out tomorrow. 70F and calm winds. ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2019, 10:17 AM »

Hell yeah taking the boat out tomorrow. 70F and calm winds. ;D
Nice!  I'll be you-know-where this weekend...
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2019, 11:04 AM »
Nice!  I'll be you-know-where this weekend...

Yessir- Howdee!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2019, 11:45 AM »
Oops- sorry to hijack yer thread, Mister Cro!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2019, 02:17 PM »
Yeah, sorry to hijack.  To summarize, we won’t make it. Hope you find some takers for lakers.  ;)

Looking forward to a video, though!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline ShuMugen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2019, 02:19 PM »

how long is the hike up? I might be game, but have to make sure its worth it. I usually hike into Brainard with my gear and it about a hour in. 
/

Sponsors: OstarMotorSports /1320DTR / Team Shinobi

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Oops- sorry to hijack yer thread, Mister Cro!
You guys didn't hijack it. I like knowing what you guys are up to with the fishing.  I will NOT be going this weekend I'm not that desperate for ice after two ice trips. I'm going to be actually going for lakers again at Granby Saturday and Williams Fork Sunday.

I'm new to shore fishing for lakers anyone willing to share some tips? What do you guys like to use for lake trout fishing from shore, also when do they come shallow usually, mid November?

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2019, 04:55 PM »

how long is the hike up? I might be game, but have to make sure its worth it. I usually hike into Brainard with my gear and it about a hour in.
It wouldn't be this weekend. I think it would be safer to try maybe next when the snow melts even more and it looks like temps will cool down a week and a half from now.

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2019, 11:31 PM »
I've done the hike. Whew!!! Can't remember how long but it was brutal. Got fish though!

Offline dntbeamenace4031

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2019, 10:04 AM »
You can call the Idaho Springs Ranger District at (303) 567-4382 to confirm, but typically the lower gate is open until 12/1.  With a decent vehicle and barring a snowstorm next week, the hike from the upper gate is 1mi and not terribly steep (probably 30-40 mins hiking).  If it's closed at the lower gate it's almost 3 miles and steep, IMO not worth it.

Loch is one of my fav places in the front range, you should have solid action on 15in+ brooks, lakers, and splake.  But I haven't caught any monsters there like Jeff (which I would put on par with WF, Granby etc albeit tougher to get to and survive).  Good luck if you make it up next week.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2019, 11:22 AM »

I'm new to shore fishing for lakers anyone willing to share some tips? What do you guys like to use for lake trout fishing from shore, also when do they come shallow usually, mid November?

I don't hunt the laker very often but I have had some success from shore up at Taylor. Egg sinker slip rig, 12" fluoro leader, #8 treble, strip of sucker meat about 4". Set your reel

for free spool and at the take give it an 6 count and set the hook. The fish on my avatar came from there but not with that technique.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2019, 03:31 PM »
You can call the Idaho Springs Ranger District at (303) 567-4382 to confirm, but typically the lower gate is open until 12/1.  With a decent vehicle and barring a snowstorm next week, the hike from the upper gate is 1mi and not terribly steep (probably 30-40 mins hiking).  If it's closed at the lower gate it's almost 3 miles and steep, IMO not worth it.

Loch is one of my fav places in the front range, you should have solid action on 15in+ brooks, lakers, and splake.  But I haven't caught any monsters there like Jeff (which I would put on par with WF, Granby etc albeit tougher to get to and survive).  Good luck if you make it up next week.
Every response you make about that lake makes me want to go more. You sure you can't go up there? I'll pay you. :p

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.