Author Topic: Kosciusko County Pike on Tip Ups - Question  (Read 1813 times)

Offline billebob5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG
Kosciusko County Pike on Tip Ups - Question
« on: Jan 08, 2018, 03:46 PM »
Hi - heading out this coming weekend with my kids.  Just the three of us.  No boss to listen to or anything like that.  Cannot wait!

My question is this - I'm going to set up a few tip ups hoping for pike but probably catching bass (a bonus walleye would be sweet) but the last few outings I've been blanked on the pike.  Wondering if it's my line?

I typically run either smoke colored fire line or Frabil tip up line with a 2 foot leader of either Trilene XL or Flouro.  I'm thinking of switching it up to a four foot leader.  I've got some 20# flouro I may try out.    Generally I run medium to large shiners/roaches with a bronze or red treble.  I'll have one set up this year with a red octopus hook.

Do you guys think a longer leader will help? 

The lake I'm fishing is REALLY clear.  Visibility usually down to 6 feet or more depending on conditions, which is why I think the longer leader may do some good.

thanks!
Clam Bigfoot 
Marcum
Jiffy Stealth
K-Drill!

Lo the angler. He riseth in the early morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Kosciusko County Pike on Tip Ups - Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2018, 03:54 PM »
Not so sure pike are really that leader conscious as we used to fish them with steel leaders. Are you sure you're fishing where they hang as in weedy breaks and flats? Is  the lake known for a decent number of pike?

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline billebob5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2018, 03:59 PM »
it's not a numbers lake for sure.  But I've caught them anywhere from 18" up to 36" so I know they are there.  I'm targeting weedy drop offs (from 6 down to 10).

What's cool is that the 18" fish was taken about 3 years ago so I know there is some natural reproduction going on (they haven't been stocked in years).  I'm sure some of them are being kept or "removed" from the ecosystem by the homeowners. :(
Clam Bigfoot 
Marcum
Jiffy Stealth
K-Drill!

Lo the angler. He riseth in the early morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2018, 04:34 PM »
I'd go slightly deeper but not much. They will "sit" just inside of the drop waiting for passer by's. Trim the tail just a bit on the bait just to slow it down some. 20lb 3' floro leader is sufficient but I prefer heavier. 6' isn't necessarily that clear of water. If I had kiddos with, I'd downsize my bait some.

Offline billebob5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2018, 05:28 PM »
Thanks.  Yeah the break by my place goes to 10 but 15 to 20 is within walking distance.   I've experimented with the clippped tail in WI.  didn't notice any uptick in flags but I'll give that a shot again. 
Clam Bigfoot 
Marcum
Jiffy Stealth
K-Drill!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2018, 05:41 PM »
Anybody ever try Goldfish from Walmart or is that legal? Seems they would stick out like a sore thumb and the pike would home in on them.

Of course if legal I would let them acclimate in a bucket outside to the temps.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Rkoomler

« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2018, 05:46 PM »
I would use 20lb flouro, and i love octopus hooks.  Thats what i use at chapman.

But i release my pike.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2018, 05:47 PM »
pike are definitely not line shy.

any points cuts or deviations in the break can be good.  necked down areas between basins are high percentage spots to catch the roamers. mouths of bays also good to contact roamers.  inlets after warm ups will flow food and attract them.  if there arent any weeds at all maybe put live bait rite on bottom to stir up a commotion.  the baitfish probably hide close to bottom with nowhere to hide?  if its clear water put a silver willow blade above your bait for added attraction and trigger.  move move move.  even tip ups can be mobile.  leave them to work 20 min then move to next hole.  always check for one looking at bait with flasher before pulling it up too!!! could try some chum and fresh dead baits too.  pike do scavenge for food.  i have caught a couple on liver catfishing.  use stinky baits like chubs and suckers if you can get them. jig a rattle trap or blade bait in the area of your sets to call fish in from a distance.............. ...................

lake james is clearer than that.  i have set baits in 30ft and could see bottom.  i set baits at about 18ft in that clear 30fow.  i use 20 mono leaders 3ft long with willow blades up the line.  plenty of trophy size pike over the years on that rigging.

is there shad in this lake?  that can make them suspend chasing the schools of shad.  that will make your task a lot more difficult.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline jbower4940

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2018, 05:53 PM »
I go to a lake In Kosciusko frequently in summer just to catch them for some poor mans lobster. Can’t imagine them being line shy I using my bass flipping rod with 60lb braid on it to catch them

Offline billebob5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:26 AM »
Well fellas, I got my PB pike from Indiana waters this week.  Thanks for your help.  I actually loaded up with 15# Flouro leader and this sucker had the bait ALL the way down it's throat.  The leader held and did not break.  No other pike were caught but I did slay the bass with my kids.

My biggest pike is 38.5 from Leech Lake, however I'd say this one was more of an accomplishment considering the body of water I was fishing and the moving around I did to locate her.

It measured at 29 and 3/4".  I just couldn't squeeze out that last 1/4" to make 30.
Clam Bigfoot 
Marcum
Jiffy Stealth
K-Drill!

Offline bev

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:28 AM »
nice

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2018, 05:46 PM »
many more in your future man.  nice one to start tho! :thumbsup:
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:06 PM »
You can also try to catch some smaller gills in the area and use them for bait.  We have had much better luck using small gills for bait than shiners or bait bought from the bait stores.  In many of the local lakes the pike are feeding on small gills most of the time.  May as well give them what they are naturally eating.

Offline billebob5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:29 PM »
Yeah this one was well fed.   I figured small gills, perch or crappie were the main course. 
Clam Bigfoot 
Marcum
Jiffy Stealth
K-Drill!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:37 PM »
Yeah this one was well fed.   I figured small gills, perch or crappie were the main course.

Not a female? The female have decent girth this time of year due to eggs. And the larger fish are usually females. As you probably know they are the first species to spawn, and will sometimes spawn under the ice if ice off is late.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.