The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Interesting Read... It's Not Just About Walleyes  (Read 344 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Interesting Read... It's Not Just About Walleyes
« on: Mar 03, 2024, 04:21 PM »
All spawning fish have evolved around seasonal condition. including feed species available. Say, for instance, most mayfly (and other) larvae "hatched" before salmon and trout fry developed.... This phenomena has been seen in our rivers due to acidification ~ not hatching, but not there .... Now water temps are added to the equation...   "A recent comprehensive study published in Limnology and Oceanography Letters casts a worrying shadow over the future of this beloved fish, unveiling the increasingly precarious position walleye populations find themselves in due to climate change....
At the heart of the issue is a phenomenon known as phenological shift—basically, the timing of biological events like spawning.....The study reveals that walleye spawning is lagging behind the ice-off dates in north-temperate lakes, a problem that is growing as the climate warms.."

https://strikeandcatch.com/study-finds-walleye-appear-to-be-struggling-with-rapid-climate-change/?fbclid=IwAR2KsJ0JMkBgc7v8kNPo63B5OHPvv4Cq8BPd6XrfC6PdPzgB76GLAEtSE7U
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
Re: Interesting Read... It's Not Just About Walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2024, 06:15 PM »
Thanks for the good read, Joe.  And you're right, it's not just about walleyes either.  A lot of predator-prey timing mismatches are going on.  As discussed before, watching birds can tell you a lot also. A Carolina Wren has been in my yard for weeks (way early).  They are primarily insect eaters....I doubt there is much food to go around yet.  I recorded my first redwing blackbirds of the "spring" yesterday.  The first ones didn't show up till March 12 last year.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Interesting Read... It's Not Just About Walleyes
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2024, 07:55 PM »
Great post. Thanks for posting, Walleyes are going tru what our Whitefish and smelts have gone tru. When i think of all the whitefish we use to catch in Sebago, and now gone two years Moosehead the same and then later Chesuncook Caribou,Ripogenous .Lucky the acid fallout sung east and abled Allagash  water shed  to maintain some whitefish. when logging operations in north are complete they should require burning brush piles beside road so Potash would run into the water shed  lraise PH.  instead on developing more phosforus  for water shed. Lowering PH.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.