Author Topic: Tip Downs ... and a Jaw Jacker Question  (Read 1827 times)

Offline dbickom

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip Downs ... and a Jaw Jacker Question
« on: Jan 31, 2023, 07:21 AM »
As a teenager I built a tip down that was very successful for perch.  It was basically a dowel with a sixteen penny finish nail thru the middle balanced on two V notches on either side.  Short four penny siding nails held my line to the dowel with an eye screw on the end.  I painted the opposite end with a bright color so I could see it from a distance.  Needless to say there may be a few at the bottom of Lake Ontario but we caught a lot of perch on Chaumont Bay and the Henderson Harbor area.  My brother has since perfected the design.  Anyways...on to my question.

So...I put a make shift flag on the end of my rod so I can spot it when it goes off as well as hear it.  Question...do you loosen the drag on your rod n reel so it doesn't end up down the hole if you don't get to it fast enough?(Seen some hilarious YouTube videos)  I thought about maybe getting some little bungies so I can attach the rod n reel to the jaw jacker.  I havent caught enough on the Jaw jacker to give it too much thought.  Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts. 
Good things come to those who Bait!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Tip Downs ... and a Jaw Jacker Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2023, 07:28 AM »
Love Henderson Harbor. Spent many a night in the cabins at Henchen Marina

Yes you need to adjust your drag not only so it doesn’t take the whole kit and kaboodle but also to buy you time as you run to the rod to catch the ish so the line doesn’t snap. When the rod is in the holder you want to be able to be pulling drag with a slight bend in the rod.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline dbickom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2023, 07:32 AM »
Love Henderson Harbor. Spent many a night in the cabins at Henchen Marina

Yes you need to adjust your drag not only so it doesn’t take the whole kit and kaboodle but also to buy you time as you run to the rod to catch the ish so the line doesn’t snap. When the rod is in the holder you want to be able to be pulling drag with a slight bend in the rod.

Know Henchen Marina well.  My brother was the chef at Bill Saiff's restaurant for a long time.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2023, 07:39 AM »
Know Henchen Marina well.  My brother was the chef at Bill Saiff's restaurant for a long time.

When I Useto hang there the Gambles owned the marina. Useto love catching fish though and having them cook them at the restaurant. Then we’d hang at the bar next door. I think the place then was called Rydolphs?

Bill Saiff( the old man) I Useto hang with, friend of mine. but this was many years ago. Started going out there at 17 years old in summer. Here’s a couple pics of me at that age haha

Offline dbickom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2023, 07:46 AM »
When I Useto hang there the Gambles owned the marina. Useto love catching fish though and having them cook them at the restaurant. Then we’d hang at the bar next door. I think the place then was called Rydolphs?

Bill Saiff( the old man) I Useto hang with, friend of mine. but this was many years ago. Started going out there at 17 years old in summer. Here’s a couple pics of me at that age haha

Oh yeah...that's the crew!  Boy Rod & Reel brings back some memories!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2023, 07:49 AM »
Always got a kick out of the boat that was next to Bills in the boathouse named SaltPeter

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2023, 09:30 PM »
Tip downs have their place I guess. I have one I use as a second line on occasion, if I'm in the shack..  my solution to success with a tip down was using a baitrunner reel, works great in this application.
Jacker is a different situation for sure. AA's advice is spot on. Play around with it. You learn to find that sweet spot on the drag. Enough to set the hook, but not too much so you snap off or lose your set.
Good luck.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2023, 09:43 PM »
Sweet post. Good pics frank
Salmonemia

Offline dbickom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2023, 09:41 AM »
Tip downs have their place I guess. I have one I use as a second line on occasion, if I'm in the shack..  my solution to success with a tip down was using a baitrunner reel, works great in this application.
Jacker is a different situation for sure. AA's advice is spot on. Play around with it. You learn to find that sweet spot on the drag. Enough to set the hook, but not too much so you snap off or lose your set.
Good luck.

Good idea - Think I'll use a tip down as my dead stick in the Eskimo.  Thanks for the advice on the Jaw Jacker as well.  Was really geared up mentally and equipment wise to get on the ice this year!  Weather has forced me to travel a bit more than I planned but the time Ive had scouting with my son has been priceless.  Bite has been lite but I now have more places to target come spring with Kayak and boat.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2023, 12:29 PM »

High quality bashing here eh?  Good ole Bill, did he ever get jail time for his amazing poaching skillz?  Ive heard some awesome stories!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2023, 12:33 PM »
High quality bashing here eh?  Good ole Bill, did he ever get jail time for his amazing poaching skillz?  Ive heard some awesome stories!

Lol that was the kid, I hung out with the OLD man.  Stories are unreal

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2023, 04:27 PM »
JJ's hold fish well, knock on wood but I haven't lost a rod out of a JJ yet. Biggest fish being in the ~25in or 5lb range.
as for drag just keep it at whatever you usually bring fish in. Too light and the hook wont set well, too heavy and you run the risk of losing the fish and your rod.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2023, 05:04 PM »
37" 17lb laker was unable to remove my rod from a jacker.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2023, 05:10 PM »
Bottom line, if a fish removes a rod or flips a jacker/ Slammer you had the drag all wrong from the start.

I run 230$ shimano Stradic Ci4’s and Vanford spinning reels in mine and spread quite a ways apart. This isn’t a flex it’s the point that if your drag is set proper you don’t haveto worry. I’ve done it since before jawjackers came out and knock on wood have never lost a rod/reel. Going on prob 18 years

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2023, 07:55 AM »
Sorry Frank I am with the Flex Police being an avid flexer myself.  I want to inform you, if you have to declare something isnt a flex...its a flex.  Good day.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2023, 07:58 AM »
Sorry Frank I am with the Flex Police being an avid flexer myself.  I want to inform you, if you have to declare something isnt a flex...its a flex.  Good day.

Next time I’m in the Nutmeg State I do declare I shall flex squat on your welcome front doormat

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2023, 08:00 AM »
Next time I’m in the Nutmeg State I do declare I shall flex squat on your welcome front doormat

Pics or it didn't happen...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2023, 08:01 AM »
Pics or it didn't happen...

Done, Jon’s front dooryard will be michiganized

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2023, 08:18 AM »
Done, Jon’s front dooryard will be michiganized

Thats going to make quite the ring video....

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2023, 08:22 AM »
You're gonna be youtube famous...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2023, 08:41 AM »
It’ll be titled Irish doormat Bomb

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2023, 08:48 AM »
It’ll be titled Irish doormat Bomb

It's cold out make sure you light it on fire!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2023, 10:58 AM »

It's cold out make sure you light it on fire!!

Fire will be to account for shrinkage while Jon films me. Oh, I mean, the Ring

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2023, 12:27 PM »
One .556 green tip should avoid any poop on my door step.  Wont even need to open the door.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2023, 12:30 PM »
Surprised they let you shoot those there.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2023, 12:42 PM »
Surprised they let you shoot those there.

Technically I cant.  All of my neighbors are 500ft plus away....the closest is to close unfortunately.  Not sure if CT is a ask permission and you are good state.  Probably not.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2023, 12:52 PM »
We still do what we want, when, we want here. For now. The Dems have created a hell of a dependent scum bag army for votes here in recent times. You know, the same ones who would defund police then call them when their brethren get gully. It’s a vicious cycle. Fortunately where I live it’s police yourself and hmmmm no crime? Weird huh? Not as many balls when you know walking in  You’re gonna get popped

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2023, 01:16 PM »
We still do what we want, when, we want here. For now. The Dems have created a hell of a dependent scum bag army for votes here in recent times. You know, the same ones who would defund police then call them when their brethren get gully. It’s a vicious cycle. Fortunately where I live it’s police yourself and hmmmm no crime? Weird huh? Not as many balls when you know walking in  You’re gonna get popped

Amen, brother!

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2023, 06:48 PM »

Imagine that. Real life consequences inform real life decision making.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.