Author Topic: Burbot lovers?  (Read 4186 times)

Offline NoLimitSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
Burbot lovers?
« on: Jan 30, 2006, 02:23 PM »
 I was just curious how many other Burbot( Dogfish ) fans there are out there besides me? I've only caught them by accident while fishing for walleye, but the more I do, the more I like them. Usually always later in the season.
 It took a lot of coaxing from my Dad for me to eat one but I'm glad I did. They are second only to Walleye and Perch in my opinion. Not a lot of meat for their size though, all in the tail. Hard to clean without puncturing the bilesack?( the organ that spews the green liquid that supposedly poisons the meat, or so I've been told.)
 They usually put up a really good fight although sometimes I've reeled them all the way up without a struggle till the end. Head-shakes like Pitbulls! I've also never seen a small Burbot, all at least 5-6lbs. with most in the 7-10lb. range. Who wouldn't like a fish like this? I see them laying dead all over the ice like a piece of garbage. Why?
 Anyways, how many of you actually target Burbot and where are the most productive places to catch them?
 What depth is best and what hooks/bait do you find they like most consistantly?

Also, does any one know where they go in the summer??? Can you catch them in the open water season and if so where and how?
 I appreciate and look forward to any and all replies on this topic. Thanks.

Any tosser can catch a little, sissyfin Walleye.
 Walleye suck, and Perch suck-off Walleye.
 I only fish for monster Pike, the kind that scare you right off the Walleye trail!

teatot

Re: Burbot lovers?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2006, 02:48 PM »
Hello NoLimitSoldier:Burbot or dogfish as we call them are quite good as you were saying.We call it poor mans lobster and even though I've never personally fished for them specifically I know people that do.If you've heard of white rock there is a spot north of there along the west shore of last mountain lake.White rock is a rock pile that sticks  out of the water just north of sarnia beach,the rock pile 1/2-3/4 of a mile north of the resort of sarnia beach and then the people I know fish the bays just to the north of white rock,they fish fairly shallow i believe and usually from the start of march until fishing closes.That's about all I can tell you about it,by the way Sarnia beach is about ten miles straight north of the town of Dilke or if you go on at rowans revine it's across the lake from Rowans.Good luck with Long Lake you'll need it-Teapot

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2006, 03:04 PM »
Not a lot of meat for their size though, all in the tail
....better get over the the eelpout section right here in the shanty....lots of meat other than the tail as well......and no need to cut open the belly...Grump http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=11495.0

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:59 PM »
yep grumps bang on there i find there's almost more meat around the sides of the backbone, i don't skin em first like most guys but i do avoid ever cutting the fish open at any point. one thing i always have found strange is i only catch em perch fishing with smaller lures and never catch them on dead bait while fishing for pike??
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline cbelsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2006, 05:59 PM »
I find I catch them regularly near the end of ice fishing season at Buffalo Pound @ the causway. I find they bite what you would normally use to catch pike, for example chin..

Offline rumblefish_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2006, 07:47 PM »
Catch a whack of em on tip ups with smelt in winter but have to make sure bait is within a foot of the bottom.Also try using a big jig 1/2oz to 3/4 oz with alot of bait on it.I found that a big target with a slow drop drives em crazy.I prefer a 3/4 oz yellow buckhair jig with 2 or 3 minnows kicks butt!

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
Got Burbot?
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2006, 10:13 PM »
You want Burbot, go to Pelican point on Last Mount mid Feb till mid March, prime time, spawning time. Heavy, good and strong jig, tipped with a minnow and banged on the bottom, slight pause 6 inch off the bottom, bam, action.

Offline NoLimitSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2006, 12:44 AM »
 Thanks for the tips and suggestions from everyone so far. Good stuff.
Any tosser can catch a little, sissyfin Walleye.
 Walleye suck, and Perch suck-off Walleye.
 I only fish for monster Pike, the kind that scare you right off the Walleye trail!

Offline goodoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2006, 07:38 PM »
Hi
I usually use a jig and minnow..but the best way to catch them is using a pickerel rig.
burbot like to eat anything on the ground..so fish right at the bottom of the lake.

I seem to catch most of my burbot in shallow bays.

I skin them first..then it is easier to cut the meat off.
the best way to cook them is just like you do lobster then have a hot cup of butter to dip the pieces of meat into.

also if you have a smoker, try some smoked burbot..

Keep your line tight & get out to the goodoutdoors :tipup:

grumpymoe

« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2006, 08:32 PM »
if you think burbot dipped in garlic butter is awesome....try this......towel dry burbot chunks.....dip in eggwash.......then into seasoned flour mix of your choice....pop into the deep fryer (olive oil is the best and no oil taste).....and tell me that you have tasted a better fish.......I can see seconds...thirds...and more.....Grump ;D

Offline BigLunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:48 PM »
Right on Grump!!  I like the deep fried version a bit better than the "dipping in butter" but both are tasty.  I was hoping to land some this weekend. Not sure if they will have started spawning yet.

Hey TJG - have you been to Pelican Point lately?

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2006, 04:07 PM »
Hey TJG - have you been to Pelican Point lately?

No stuck in Red Deer for the winter, would like to be there this weekend, fishing, superbowl, 5 days off= priceless!

Offline bulyearustler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2006, 10:45 PM »
hey everybody burbot are fantastic eating and a snap to clean.  My 11year old has been at it for a couple of years.  Lots of good advice for last Mountain, Pelican Point,White rock, but where I have had most of My success is right in front of the main beach at
Rowans Ravine P.P. 6 to 12 feet of water early morning is best.  Another good spot is
across the lake from the park just north of the "island".  There is a big flat there and you
can find them there.  I use a big white jigwith a white Mr twister double tail and a blob of dog fish guts( the spaghetti)
bounce it off the bottom and hang on!!! We have also got some nice pike right there
last year a 15 and a 17 so they are hanging in there as well

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.