Author Topic: 2 stroke starting issues when cold  (Read 4315 times)

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
2 stroke starting issues when cold
« on: Dec 31, 2017, 09:45 PM »
Figure you guys know better than others .... having troubles starting strikemaster mag3 auger when temps
Drop below 10 degrees... can adjust carb or hold throttle down to get it to go... above 35 degrees had it starting fist pull..., question is do you guys find it normal to have to adjust carb to a richer setting in colder temps with your 2 stroke engines?

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: 2 stroke starting issues when cold
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2018, 01:07 PM »
Question is do you guys find it normal to have to adjust carb to a richer setting in colder temps with your 2 stroke engines?

Yes, I carry a small screwdriver just for that purpose.
My Tenaka powerhead is quite temperature sensitive while my 3 HP Strikemaster Cobra is not quite as sensitive.
I still need to feather the throttle on the Strikemaster unless I adjust the carb while the Tenaka will bog due to a lean condition so has to be adjusted for it to work.

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2018, 03:11 PM »
My Tenaka powerhead is quite temperature sensitive while my 3 HP Strikemaster Cobra is not quite as sensitive.
I still need to feather the throttle on the Strikemaster unless I adjust the carb while the Tenaka will bog due to a lean condition so has to be adjusted for it to work.
ok, good to know, gonna stop messing with it and trying to get it to start 1st or 2nd pull then.... thanks for the info.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:14 PM »

i got a real old Strikemaster Cobra and have never messed with the carb, probably should since the only way to start it is to flood the carb until gas leaks out of it.  All old augers have their little quirks about making them run.
I will never be a "Prostaffer" because I dont pimp products fo free

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:04 PM »
i got a real old Strikemaster Cobra and have never messed with the carb, probably should since the only way to start it is to flood the carb until gas leaks out of it.  All old augers have their little quirks about making them run.

Yeah, my Cobra can be finicky too.
Doesn't like to keep running when walking between holes.
Doesn't matter what I do I can't get it tweaked just right. 

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:14 PM »
One of the advantages of the Eskimo gas augers is the primer bulb... you can always get them to go in cold weather (in my experience, so far...).

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:50 PM »
I switched to Amsoil Sabre 2 stroke oil mixed 80:1 and it’s startijg much easier in cold weather... no more messing with adjustment screws.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:29 PM »
I switched to Amsoil Sabre 2 stroke oil mixed 80:1 and it’s startijg much easier in cold weather... no more messing with adjustment screws.

I run Opti2 full synthetic @ 75:1 in my engines doesn't change the density of the air so depending on temp you still need to adjust.   ;)
Now if they ever make a fuel injected auger it will be a different story.
  ;D

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:19 PM »
I know this is old, but it sparked my interest.  When I used to tune my augers, I'd run them WOT (wide open throttle) and adjust the fuel screw so I got max RPM.  Then I'd adjust the idle screw to what I needed to keep it running.  Usually, it would run fantastic after this.

If you try this, run it WOT with the blade cover on.  Preferrably in a stand of some sort, but a buddy would suffice.

Offline Bowhunter79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2019, 10:00 PM »
buy electric ;D
Fish on! Ice Fishing Team Yamagoochy

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2019, 10:31 PM »
BH79,

It’s obvious you’re just a smartass... move on and take your pathetic life w you!

Offline Bowhunter79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2019, 10:37 PM »
I really wasn’t being a smart ass. I used to have a gas auger, I always had nothing but problems with it.. I waited to the off season and picked up an electric one at a pretty reasonable price. I absolutely love it. Plug the battery in when you get home, grab it when your ready to go back out and your done. No effort to it
Fish on! Ice Fishing Team Yamagoochy

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2019, 11:30 PM »
Well, nothing in this thread had anything to do with electric anything until you posted, didn’t ask anything about opinions of electric vs gas... have no idea why you felt compelled to post that when I didn’t ask about one vs the other .... on top of that this post was started last year!

If you have something relevant to share in getting gas augers to run better in below 20 degree weather, please share...

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2019, 11:56 PM »
Using a new plug or keeping the spark plug REALLY clean makes a big difference.  If the plug is ok but a little cruddy looking pour some rubbing alcohol on it and blow it out with an air hose.  BIG improvement!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2019, 03:15 PM »
I really wasn’t being a smart ass. I used to have a gas auger, I always had nothing but problems with it.. I waited to the off season and picked up an electric one at a pretty reasonable price. I absolutely love it. Plug the battery in when you get home, grab it when your ready to go back out and your done. No effort to it
Well since this is posted in the Alaska section and I'm an Alaskan resident I'll throw my two cents in on what you said.
Electric works ok up here if you live on the road system or if you're not doing any remote trips.
But when I go up to the cabin the only power up there is by generator.
And that means you're burning gas anyway.
I've also done trips for several days to areas where there was no power within 15 to 20 miles of me.
And the ice was over 2 ft thick.
Kind of hard to plug in your auger when the nearest electrical outlet is 15 miles away.
Lot easier to carry 1 gallon jug of gas for the auger than a generator, extension cord, gas for the generator Etc.
Maybe in New York you don't have places that are remote enough that you can't just plug in your auger every night.
But here in Alaska there's plenty of them and the ice gets thick and the temperature gets cold and the fish get big!
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2019, 03:18 PM »
I'll concur with drifter016 when I say I've always had to make Minor adjustments to my carburetor when the temperature gets really cold or when it warms up again.
I seem to have the most issues when I go fishing on a nice warm day and then don't go for a couple of weeks and the temperature gets really cold again.
But it's not that big a deal a minor adjustment with a screwdriver and I'm good to go again.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.