Author Topic: Perch Depth  (Read 4213 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Perch Depth
« on: Feb 21, 2013, 07:43 AM »
What is the deepest that you have found perch?   How deep will they go?  Ive caught them at 60 feet just off the bottom, and we have some lakes that are over 100', will they go that deep? 

I know that they will go where the food is, is there much to eat at 100'?

Just wondering....
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Perch Depth
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2013, 07:45 AM »
Depends on the lake and the time of year. I've caught perch from 5 feet to 60 feet of water. the tend to be deeper mid winter but move shallow for late ice in preperation for spawning. as lng as they find food, they'll be at any depth.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Another in the depends on the lake camp. At any depth there can be food, just depends on how plentiful and if they or some baitfish they're eating wants it. Worms are not uncommon on the bottom and usually overlooked but even more types of "critters" are there as well. Have had a camera down watching how they react to something pounding the bottom. Was taking the occasional fish but watched more fish sifting through the stuff stirred up. All types/sizes of worms, nymphs and nondescript creatures seemed to be more preffered  over the bigger bait. Seen it down to 50' and have little doubt it's going on deeper. Would be more concerned on the dissolved oxygen content for the body of water at the depth fished. A Perch has needs closer to a Trout than a Bullhead, not enough air and they're not there

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2013, 12:19 PM »
Got them in 54 foot of water this weekend. Most aggresive fish were anywhere from 10 to 20 foot off the bottom. Marked tons of fish tight to the bottom but they weren't eating. The suspended fish were the ones feeding. On Devils Lake we've taken them off of the bottom in 50 plus feet of water. I haven't fished 60 plus but I don't see why they wouldn't be where the food is!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2013, 04:30 PM »
 Bottom is the best depth for perch.

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2013, 11:33 AM »
usually tight to the bottom. Many times I will drop the vex and not even see them until I start jigging, then boom. Once there, I try to get back down as soon as possible.   :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
Dream Catcher

Offline pvbehr920

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2014, 02:13 AM »
I caught some this week in 9 feet. I fish any area where gizzard shad move from the main lake to the bay and the perch and crappie follow them around. It can be frustrating, because Saturday I saw a lot of shad on the camera and caught a bunch of jumbos, but on Sunday I didn't see many shad and only caught a few perch. So, I guess that they follow the food.
Makiplastics Pro Staff
Clam Outdoors Pro Staff (Powerstick)

Offline rabcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2014, 06:18 PM »
Was perch fishing in 69 fow saterday and cought 1/2 of a 5gal. of 10'' and larger perch. They where fussy but down there and hit one spot at 55 fow and ponded the small month bass .

Offline rabbittrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2014, 10:27 AM »
I caught them in 15 feet of water last year. Not there this year. Found out they are in 3 to 4 feet of water with a sandy bottom. Tried different places perch aren't where you expect them to be this year. Extremely slow biting this year. Last year I was constantly running to the tip ups.  Lucky to get 2 flags in a hour

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.