Author Topic: will ul rod work for perch?  (Read 4521 times)

Offline thorzep

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • when i last saw you i was just a learner, but now i am the master
will ul rod work for perch?
« on: Dec 12, 2006, 06:18 PM »
or is a light better?   2? 4? or 6lb test
                                                                                                    Thors icefishing stats:  nothing   yet!!!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: will ul rod work for perch?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2006, 06:25 PM »
Depends on the blank. UL is a way the manufacturer would say, "this one is lighter than our light action". ;D

That being said...

Go with a light, unless your perch are consistently dinks. ;)

I prefer 2 or 3 pound test, but never heaver than four.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2006, 06:38 PM »
No need to repeat but L or ML are better for perch if your lakes have jumbo's, I use UL or L for gills mostly, you need that backbone for perch

Offline pikeie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2006, 07:03 PM »
sure it helps to have that extra backbone on the rods for the bigger perch. i mostly fish simcoe. but i have had just the same luck with my Ultra light and even my micro light :o panfish poppers. i have caught many perch over 13 inches on my micro light with small jigs. and with the lighter action, they fight that much more  ;D

with my light action rods usally 3-4 pound test
and my micro light has 2 pound test.
one of my best fisin buddies uses 1 pound test :o, one bad hookset SNAP lol

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2006, 07:20 PM »
I use my ul for every thing from gills to bass with 4 lb test. Even nailed a few pike perch jigging. just let up on the drag some and hold on. ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:08 AM »
I use UL rods for most of my ice fishing with 4lb line. I have one light rod with 6 lb line that I use for Walleye. My biggest Perch was 15 3/4" 2.6 lbs.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline IceReaver

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Psalm 27
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:17 AM »
Ultra-lite and 2lb test line!!  Even catching jumbo's (12" plus) I like the extra sensitivity I get from UL when jigging finicky perch in deep waters. I've landed 2lb (plus) smallmouth bass on the same rig...like Pikeie said, keep the drag loose and play the fish...it's a blast!! ;D

Offline donmvt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2006, 09:50 PM »
I love using the UL for perch with 3 lb. test.  Two lb line is a little too wispy for me, but the 3 lb. ice line is perfect.  I also swear by the spring bobbers that snap in the last rod guide.  I have caught many fish that I could not feel  - even on the UL.  I will say that this is in direct conflict with my fishing buddy who uses typical Lake Champlain wooden jig sticks with dacron tip-up line and two snelled hooks!  It makes for some good natured ribbing between us about me using my fairy rod with spiderwebs, and him using a home depot chunk of 4x4 lumber with rope!

Don

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2006, 10:07 PM »
I also enjoy the UL for perch fishing, using either 2 or 4# floroclear (P-line). Since I'm usually also targeting bluegills it's easy that way. Sometimes I'll go with a light action if I'm fishing deeper water, say 25' or more. A little more backbone let's me handle a Hali, or any slightly heavier spoon or lure, and still get a decent hookset.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2007, 08:48 PM »
I use a L, but have had in the past, used a UL.  Worked fine, but that occational Eye I'd set into was no fun.  Lost most of them.

camo_fish

« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2007, 10:30 PM »
I just got an UL last year and use 4# line on it and got a heavy 15"er perch last year on it and it was awesome fun.  ;D

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2007, 10:22 PM »
I'm no expert, but I've out-perched a good friend on a recent crappie trip...I don't like to go too light as we have too many finny critters that are way bigger.  My wife successfully fought a large burbot on a light rod with I think 4 lb test on it, but the line broke when we got the head out of the water...I just didn't land it.

Primarily now I'm using 1lb. diameter PowerPro Ice on my ice rods and, if need be, a fluorocarbon leader.
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2007, 12:53 PM »
1lb thriller ;D ;D ;D ;D denatl floss for Mr. Pike  :o :o :o ;) ;) ;)
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2007, 01:18 PM »
I am using custom made rods by Walleye World Im 8 graphite 36 ins long fast tip 8 lb flouro line . Works for me!

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2007, 02:33 PM »
I really like the UL panfish popper, but lite works well too. all depends on the bite

Offline Perch Master

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish with a Vex, or get skunked like the rest.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2007, 04:50 PM »
I am using custom made rods by Walleye World Im 8 graphite 36 ins long fast tip 8 lb flouro line . Works for me!

Same here...the ones I have have G Loomis blanks from Walleye World....a little more money, but totally worth it.  I see you can also buy authentic G Loomis rods for the ice now too.

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2007, 06:55 PM »
Same here...the ones I have have G Loomis blanks from Walleye World....a little more money, but totally worth it.  I see you can also buy authentic G Loomis rods for the ice now too.
What outlets are those loomis rods available at I would probably have travel to WPG that is great to know I also had walleye world make a 41 in heavy action lake trout rod [Built for the Kill]

Offline Perch Master

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish with a Vex, or get skunked like the rest.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2007, 07:12 PM »
What outlets are those loomis rods available at I would probably have travel to WPG that is great to know I also had walleye world make a 41 in heavy action lake trout rod [Built for the Kill]

I have only seen them at Pokeys Tackle in Regina...same place I had bought my "Pokey's Pro Ice" - made by Walleye World rods.

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2007, 07:40 PM »
I have only seen them at Pokeys Tackle in Regina...same place I had bought my "Pokey's Pro Ice" - made by Walleye World rods.
Thanks plan on going that direction in summer. For that matter it is just as close to Regina for us as Wpg.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.